Page 99 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199599 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I only really use my Windows XP for playing games, using hardware, connecting succesfully to a network and other computers, USB devices, using useful software and work.

Other than that I use Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm 100 % Ubuntu on my two computers I don't play computer games so I don't even miss windows one bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Only thing for what I'm using win is ACAD Building system. I work as pipe designer, and cause there is no eqvivalent for that (Qcad is far away right now). But for rest I use only UBUNTU (3dmodeling, text, programming ...). If one day there is sometnig like ACAD-BS on Linux then, for me, wIn is history.

Beans

I recently switch 100% to ubuntu because i got hold of a new laptop. I use to
    dual boot ubuntu and winXp because of a sister of mine. Now there is no hd
    space for windows on my laptop. Windows is a complete history i never miss it.
    Is a crap piece of OS i have ever use. These days i don't think about virus , spyware
    and unccessary possible attacks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Hi all.
    After many months of justifing a dual boot - and not really using Windows, I have done the complete switch over to Ubuntu. Not only did I switch my main PC but also my fileserver sitting in the garage.

As with others my work laptop is still xp (only recently). But it is mapped into a samba share on my ubuntu fileserver and can wirelessly stream music any where in the house, which is a bonus. I do have plans to convert it back to Linux (yes I did try it), although my work uses windows file syncronisation to local folders which I must say is quite useful and also they like to use MS word. (Wine, yes I know thats the plan along with d-Link wep wifi and Vodafone 3G card. Open office is great but not to hot at running MS word macros)

It may just be me, but what ever Windows PC I seem to use, seems to crash. Haha. The other day we had our IT support fly into town who is so Pro Windows XP + exchange server that you would think he was working for Microsoft. We didnt really see eye to eye. Nor did he like the fact that I had removed Win XP off my laptop to put Win 2K on (as it is more stable), i'm sure he wouldn't have been impressed if I still had Ubuntu dual booting on the laptop.

Beans

Been doing Linux for about three years. My Sony Vaio GRV550 laptop has had WInXP & FC3 as dual boot with grub, then FC4, then Ubuntu, then several flavors of Linux, now finally settled on Kubuntu. Family computer has xp so 7 y/o can play all his games..he keeps asking me if I can put that tuxracer on his computer. I think my Sony TV even has Montivista Linux for it's program guide. It's hard to beet all that free software, or googling for bash scripts to do backups instead of buying windoz programs. Thanks to all you kind hearted script writers and programmers sharing your knowledge. Don't forget to send a little paypal thier way once in a while to keep that ball rolling. Just my 2c.
    Last edited by rpj911; April 4th, 2006 at 05:52 AM.

Beans

I have been using Linux off and on since 1997 (Slackware, I don't remember the version). I finally made the plunge on my desktop three years ago (using Gentoo). Windows is still installed, but it never gets executed anymore. While I was finishing up my degree I had Windows XP on my Thinkpad; now it sports Breezy. The only problem with it is that the wireless antenna built into it seems to have died. Gonna go out and get a Ralink 2500 PCMCIA card today...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I started using linux in 1995, using a Slackware distribution. At the time the kernel was 1.2.x, with 1.3.x as the unstable kernel. It was a real pain to configure the system, there was not all the documentation we can find today. The only way to get a screen resolution higher than 480x360 with my trident video card, was to exchange it for an S3 based video card. Luckly, I had already used some unix at the university.
    I switched completely to linux in 1998-99, with a redhat, perhaps version 7.2. Then, around 2000 I switched to mandrake and about 5 months ago to kubuntu.
    Last edited by gborzi; April 4th, 2006 at 04:25 PM.
    Giuseppe Borzi' - Registered Linux user #34028

Beans

Man, did anyone actually read all 99 pages (and counting!) of this thread?

Heck, might as well chime in.

Linux is my main OS. I tried RH9, Fedora Core 2, Mandrake something or other, settled on Gentoo for a while and now I think I've found my permanent choice with Ubuntu. As long as they keep moving forward the way they have been I don't see any reason why I would leave. Between my office and my house I'm in charge of 2 servers and a laptop that run solely Ubuntu. I have two web servers in a datacenter that run CentOS - I'd put Ubuntu on them if my control panel software would run on it.

Unfortunately, I still have to keep Windows around. I build websites for a living and there are some tools that simply do not have equivalents on Linux - the most notable being Photoshop. Gimp is great, I use it often, but Photoshop is better. 99% of my coding is done with Quanta on Linux but for serious graphics work I have to reboot. I also run Finale on my laptop for funsies. Another program that's been very useful and has no Linux equivalent is Beyond Compare, but unless you're involved in some sort of coding you're probably not familiar with it. It runs under Wine but is too buggy. Again, I reboot when I need it. There are programs on Linux with similar aims (compare files, find differences and resolve them) but none with the power of Beyond Compare.

More things that don't exist on Linux...an accounting program to compete with QuickBooks. I use QuickBooks daily in my business, and I have two machines here in the shop that only run Windows (one for the accountant, one for general anybody use). I also have a few peripherals that don't run under Windows that I need on a regular basis.

So nope, I haven't switched completely over. I've found that Linux is great to do what it was designed for - run a server. My Ubuntu servers have run without issues for a very long time. Linux is also great for most users' everyday needs - my wife's laptop handles her web surfing, emailing and general office type usage very well (and does not have Windows installed at all). For me, I need both. I'm a firm believer in using the right tool for the job. Given a tool on Windows and one on Linux that worked equally well I would choose the Linux tool, but if one is more powerful that's what I'll choose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Wink Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quick and simple:

100% Ubuntu

I do like to play games, but I make do with the ones that run ok under cedega.

Why? - Tried to dual boot for a while, but the damn Windows kept getting virus' etc...

The way I look at it, no matter how you cut the cake, it isn't Linux's fault if software isn't created for it, it is the software creators fault. Why then would I want to pay money to a company that does nothing to support my operating system of choice? You know what I don't want to. After a while you don't wind up missing anything, the software for Linux is generally better than that for Windows anyway (and almost always cheaper ).

Page 99 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199599 ... LastLast