Page 987 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 487887937977985986987988989997 ... LastLast
Results 9,861 to 9,870 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I've been a fan of ubuntu since 12.04 revitalizing several older machines along the way currently learning linux with my Toshiba Satelite l645d completely running on elementary OS 0.4.1 Loki Built on "Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS" and I am so very pleased. I am like I said "Learning Linux" and with this full switch it's been so very cool and I would like to thank the community in advance for all their generous help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I administer two laptops, each with a dual install of Windows (Win7 & 8.1) & Ubuntu (both with 16.04). I only keep Windows to use a scanner (CanoScan 8400F) & a printer (Pro9000 Mark II). Scanners are indeed cheap, but a specialized printer is not.

I'd like to dispense with Windows entirely, but my search for drivers, or an app with the right drivers, hasn't been successful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I just bought an SSD to replace the 2 hard drives (primary Ubuntu, secondary Windows 7) in my main computer. I was planning on cloning the Windows drive and then do a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, but weird things just started going on with the Windows drive. The Grub shows a Windows 10 loader instead of the Windows 7 loader and the Windows drive no longer shows up in the BIOS Boot Drive Priority list even though it does show up and is correctly identified in the BIOS Hard Drives list as well as the AHCI Settings SATA port. I tried boot-repair on the Ubuntu drive as well as the Windows drive, but still same problem and Windows no longer boots. So now, I'm thinking (if I can fix the Windows drive), I'll clone it to an external drive and only do a fresh install of Ubuntu on the SSD. If I can't repair the Windows drive, then I'll reformat it and probably not even use Windows on main computer any more. If that happens, then I'll only have 1 computer left with Windows (a 10 year old laptop dual boot Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 7) and only reason I don't remove Windows from it is to run the occasional virus scan on Windows media that people give me.

If you can help me with my Windows drive issue, the thread is here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2379198

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Montserrat View Post
    I administer two laptops, each with a dual install of Windows (Win7 & 8.1) & Ubuntu (both with 16.04). I only keep Windows to use a scanner (CanoScan 8400F) & a printer (Pro9000 Mark II). Scanners are indeed cheap, but a specialized printer is not.

Canon's lack of support for Linux is legendary. Have you looked at Turboprint. I used it to power a Canon printer a few years back and it worked as advertised. I see it supports your printer now. http://www.zedonet.com/en_p_turbopri...IXMA_Pro9000II

Beans

Haven't been on the forum for years, I've just quietly been using Linux and haven't needed to ask many questions. Almost every computer in our house runs Linux (mostly Linux Mint at present to be honest, but that's just another window into Ubuntu), otherwise Chrome or Android, we don't have a single Windows or Mac machine left (I have a Windows install on a dual-boot on one machine, haven't needed it for probably 2 years). I do all my work on Linux, kids schooling, it's brilliant. I even had my grandmother using Mint for the last year or so before her death, she found it entirely usable. Yes, there are issues with various things, particularly media stuff. But the practical benefits of keeping machines going for years past their use-by-date far exceed these inconveniences. We buy printers etc with Linux support in mind (only use Brother printers at the moment).

Beans

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

i Have three laptops , only one on windows (very small laptop) and i very seldom use it,
    i have 18.3 on one and kali linux on the other, keep learning every day, lol

Beans

Smile Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Have used linux since xp was not supported. Great no problems, well perhaps a few to overcome and a learning curve of course, but in general very pleased with my Linux set up. It is Ubuntu currently. I recently bought a Garmin GPS and am trying to figure out how to download the GPX files using vbox. At present vbox not capturing USB port.

Beans

I have and I am new here, few years ago I took on Linux but we bought mac bookpro's but every year mine would crash so I had no money last December so it crashed and I said enough. Wife found this cheap cybertron evoke wit ubuntu 16 on it so here I am. I got cheap too came without cd-rom and no wifi card they said 6 expansion slots but only has 2 I bought a TBS6904 tv card and wifi card and a cheap cd-rom and I am back to learning linux again, not easy after fighting Cancer for a year, chemo & Radiation is a witch. So I'll need help learning so be easy on me my mind isn't the same after Chemo. Today I have the RNC-1900PCE wireless working finally, but the tv card is another thing, machine see's it but no worko. So my wife still has her macbook pro working. I'll be happy to get tv going. I really like Linux, it's a challenge which I need and got tried of supporting Apple and they are charging for iTunes monthly.
    RvPrepper

Beans

I have switched since 08 to Lionux for all internet and music but use windows regularly for programs that only work on windows.

Windows XP actually ran better on my first 600mhz PC. A full Ubuntu 8.10 install would slow it to a crawl. So I did one of those minimal Ubuntu installs on it and it worked much better but never as fast as XP. For some reason back then Ubuntu was a CPU hog.

I haven't booted that machine now in many years.

I'm booted into a copy of Xenialpup multiboot USB right now and so far I like Xenialpup.

I always did like the way Puppy mounts all the hard drives and needs no root permissions to do almost anything. Its very easy to copy and paste or create new folders. I haven't liked in the past how its command line system differed from Ubuntu.

Beans

been using ubuntu for about 4 years or so, uninstalled windows on my laptop about a year ago. only my desktop has windows, and thats for gaming. sadly my desktop is dead at the moment, gotta rebuild it so i can start gaming agian. but i do enjoy having all the freedom that comes with linux, and i learn something new everyday with it. plus runescape runs on it, which is enough gaming for me at the moment. and steam has some games ported. i just wish all games would port to linux, and there would be no need for windows anymroe. but maybe someday that will become true. i feel linux is getting more popular everyday, and with ubuntu being so user friendly, people see it in a different light now.

Page 987 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 487887937977985986987988989997 ... LastLast