Page 985 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 485885935975983984985986987995 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,850 of 10014

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have switched to Linux Lubuntu completely since only 2014 but i have been using Ubuntu and windows since 2010.
    I have loved every moment with Ubuntu where windows would fail or windows just doing something you have never seen and have no idea why its stopping you from doing much of anything. With Ubuntu you do not get a headache every time you push the power button. It works like a program should and Lubuntu is small and gives you everything you need and nothing you don't.
    Gaming is now much easier since steam has gotten involved. If steam does not have the games you want you can use "Wine" works good for me.
    SWITCH TO LINUX SWITCH TO OPEN SOURCE!!

All Linux DEs suck

I haven't booted Windows in a few months. I've been cycling among Mint Cinnamon, KDE, and Unity.

Sadly, they all suck in various annoying ways. Mint is immature and run by a small bunch of overworked folks who reinvent the wheel (e.g. X apps) instead of fixing their DE and adding basic productivity features, KDE is riddled with bugs, and Unity is incredibly dictatorial.

Ubuntu itself still hasn't figured out dual-monitor in God knows how many years. Windows keep opening on the wrong screen if your primary monitor is to the right, which is common if you have your laptop to the left, and connect an external monitor to the right.

I've never had these problems in Windows. But then again, Windows won't see my Bluetooth headset, won't output sound to my HDMI TV etc. Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare.

Quite mind boggling that after 20 years of desktop OSes and billions of dollars sunk into their development, we still don't have a clear winner that doesn't spy on you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Two laptops both on 16.04, two ipads and a mac mini. No MS in this home.
    cheers - gabbman
    Linux, The Desktop of Choice

Beans

Not me; still having problems installing it. So far, Linux will be in third place after Macintosh (main systems), Windows 7 (for those time I need Windows) and -- maybe -- Ubuntu on the Windows machine.

Beans

My laptops have been Linux only since 2008. I dual-booted an iMac for 5+ years because my wife preferred OSX. After convincing the Mrs. that she could do everything with Linux that she could with OSX, she agreed to convert to Linux. The iMac became a Linux only PC a few months ago. A few weeks ago, the DVD drive broke and I thought the CPU died too but I was wrong. It's now running Ubuntu and I sell or donate it. Meanwhile, I bought a System76 desktop PC. The Mrs. loves it and Ubuntu 16.10.
    Last edited by g33zr; November 27th, 2016 at 08:55 PM.

Beans

I do. I have done so for 10 years now. I started with Red-hat 6 and then via Vector-Linux to Suse. In the beginning is was all trying out those beautiful distro's. Until I stumble on Ubuntu, and my life became easier! I must say I like to search for answers and trying out things. Ubuntu give me a pleasant workplace.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: All Linux DEs suck

Quote Originally Posted by ddascalescu+launchpad View Post
    I haven't booted Windows in a few months. I've been cycling among Mint Cinnamon, KDE, and Unity.

Sadly, they all suck in various annoying ways. Mint is immature and run by a small bunch of overworked folks who reinvent the wheel (e.g. X apps) instead of fixing their DE and adding basic productivity features, KDE is riddled with bugs, and Unity is incredibly dictatorial.

Ubuntu itself still hasn't figured out dual-monitor in God knows how many years. Windows keep opening on the wrong screen if your primary monitor is to the right, which is common if you have your laptop to the left, and connect an external monitor to the right.

I've never had these problems in Windows. But then again, Windows won't see my Bluetooth headset, won't output sound to my HDMI TV etc. Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare.

Quite mind boggling that after 20 years of desktop OSes and billions of dollars sunk into their development, we still don't have a clear winner that doesn't spy on you.
    Give XFCE4 a try. It is very simple, clean, and so far no annoying bugs I know of. I usually set up my monitors with Xrandr, but XFCE4 has a montitor widget that works fairly well. I've been using Debian's Wheezy with XFCE4 installed, or if you want Ubuntu, try Xubuntu. I ditched those others for the very same reasons you are annoyed with them. Been on Linux since 2000, and even run it at work in a very anti-linux environment.

Wheezy: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ar...amd64-CD-1.iso
    Xubuntu: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dis...tboot/mini.iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Since just a couple of weeks, all Windows partitions are gone. I am now on dual boot Ubuntu 16.04 Mate and Mint 18.1 Cinnamon. I feel I like them both equally.

Beans

I have completely moved to linux a couple of years ago and no regrets until now!!! I have purchased a new laptop and I am struggling to install Linux on it. so until I figure out how to install it safely and without too many issues I am back with Windows. I sincerely hope that I can find a solution that doesn't require 3 days of work to install Linux on this laptop, but for my personal experience unless you have to use specific software that require windows you can do more on Linux and is more agile. Dual boot is a good option if you are not yet sure if to take the plunge.

Beans

I dual booted Windows 7 and different *buntu or Mint distros for several years.
    I switched permanently to Linux after a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade fiasco last summer and couldn't get 7 to reinstall and work.
    It sucked for several months but now my last two Windows programs that I need will run on WINE 2.2 or later so now I am happy but I don't know how long that will last.

Page 985 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 485885935975983984985986987995 ... LastLast