Page 952 of 986 FirstFirst ... 452852902942950951952953954962 ... LastLast
Results 9,511 to 9,520 of 9851

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

i have two older machines. the laptop is all ubuntu. the desktop is windows xp.

my preference is the laptop because of LYX and writting math.

for non-technical reasons, beccause i have no complaints on that score, i would like to drop gmail, gdrive, and google anything.

also i distrust ATT ties with anything, and would like to support gnu'ish, wikileaks and such.

please reccommend a search engine, email provider, and cloud host for me.

thanks in advance.

**** farrell

Beans

I probability don't count in "YOUR COUNT" as I a Unix convert that still has two Unix workstations that are running Solaris and I have never been a Windows (or DOS) user. My remaining machines are Linux (primary machines run gentoo, teaching machines run Fedora or CentOS, machines for experimentation are currently running FUNTOO. Re-imaged my System76 machine from Ubuntu to Gentoo the day that I got it.

Beans

I have experimented with ubuntu, debian and fedora since 2010. Found each a better choice rather than using Windows. Had difficulty using ubuntu 10.4. Probably because i was used to using windows. For this reason, i was never confident on switching over, until just nrecently.

A couple of years ago, i had bought a netbook. An Acer Aspire, to be exact. It came with windows 7 starter. I had for a few months until it accidentally got dropped. It would start but would stay frozen at the windows logo screen. I couldn't even start it in safe mode. i didn't know what to do. I put it in my closet and there it stayed for about a year and a half.

I had read about being able to boot a live version from a flash drive and researched this topic. Sure enough you can. I downloaded the programs needed to do this and to my surprise, I was able to get my netbook up and running again.

I jumped for joy when this happened. I started thinking to myself, "What the hell was wrong with windows. Ubuntu started with no problems."

I guess I have ubuntu for saving my netbook. I am currently running 12.04lts. Without this, my netbook would still be sitting in my closet collecting dust.

Thx ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

To get away from google, and the NSA, go buy your own domain name (don't use godaddy!), then have someone webhost it. Namecheap has been rock solid for years. That should address your email/cloudhost. duckduckgo is one of many alternative search engines. There are so many sites tied into google (try blocking all google domains on your firewall) that it's pretty hard to navigate the web - but it can be done, if you want to sever all ties with google.

Beans

this computer has been windows free for over a year, but i have been distro hoping for a while. was on fedora most of the time until it started acting up when updated to 19. i think am settling on ubuntu.

Beans

Finally got rid of windows again and back to the real o/s

Terry

Beans

Hi new to all this Linux, I trialled myself with 12.04 to get a feel with a dual boot (had to make sure I'd copied everything) an issue I do have is viewing my iTunes videos (purchased) they're on my external HD but the DRM is preventing VLC player. I've got my Windows DVD's should I ever wish to return. The reason I did switch I was tired of having to continually wait while my antivirus updated (Avast is fantastic for Windows users) update Malware Bytes everyday, then wait for any Windows updates to flag up. I do miss Firefox (had to switch to Google Chrome) to allow Flash to work properly (tried downloading the .tar file) but I'm not fully upto speed with the command lines yet & some people have had issues with getting it work properly. Java maybe an issue too some sites said it was out of date when I was trialling on 12.04. Gonna look today to see if Blue Ray DVD's will run. I was a gamer too ref PC (I've got a top spec) but I have a PS3 & will get a PS4 so may not be the end of the world. Any hints'n'tips will be gracefully received

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Williamson View Post
    Hi new to all this Linux, I trialled myself with 12.04 to get a feel with a dual boot (had to make sure I'd copied everything) an issue I do have is viewing my iTunes videos (purchased) they're on my external HD but the DRM is preventing VLC player. I've got my Windows DVD's should I ever wish to return. The reason I did switch I was tired of having to continually wait while my antivirus updated (Avast is fantastic for Windows users) update Malware Bytes everyday, then wait for any Windows updates to flag up. I do miss Firefox (had to switch to Google Chrome) to allow Flash to work properly (tried downloading the .tar file) but I'm not fully upto speed with the command lines yet & some people have had issues with getting it work properly. Java maybe an issue too some sites said it was out of date when I was trialling on 12.04. Gonna look today to see if Blue Ray DVD's will run. I was a gamer too ref PC (I've got a top spec) but I have a PS3 & will get a PS4 so may not be the end of the world. Any hints'n'tips will be gracefully received
    If you need the licensed version of java..this is one of the best and easiest ways to get it (from this very popular linux website) they have a pre-compiled deb file for it and even add a ppa to your software sources so you get automatic updates for it!
    http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html

For the latest flash, yeah you have to run Chrome (personally i love Chrome so that aspect doesn't bother me at all...i would be using it anyway)...
    That is because adobe no longer makes flash for linux and the version we get on ubuntu restricted extras is over 2 years old and just gets security updates....
    Adobe has an agreement with Chrome to supply the latest flash for Chrome's pepperflash plug in on ALL platforms including linux....

Hope that helps...

Beans

Hi I managed to get the icedtea plugin to work perfectly well, getting blue rays to play is proving more troublesome though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Williamson View Post
    Hi I managed to get the icedtea plugin to work perfectly well, getting blue rays to play is proving more troublesome though
    I don't have a BluRay drive, but apparently VLC supports them on Linux out of the box,
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Page 952 of 986 FirstFirst ... 452852902942950951952953954962 ... LastLast