Page 945 of 984 FirstFirst ... 445845895935943944945946947955 ... LastLast
Results 9,441 to 9,450 of 9834

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

It works for some encryptions but no for all. It doesn't rip latest dvds.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Can you play those DVDs? I think access to encrypted dvds is based on libdvdcss2. If you can play them you should be able to rip them

Make sure you install handbrake from its ppa, the 'official' repo version is old and/or have some functions disabled.
    https://launchpad.net/~stebbins/+arc...rake-snapshots

There is also a free as beer (cost 0 but not open source) solution
    http://www.makemkv.com/

It rips fast and uses very little cpu but doesn't compress (like handbrake) so you get huge mkv files
    The linux version is in their forum page.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 8th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you have libdvdcss2 installed (from the medibuntu repos) then you should be able to make a copy of an encrypted dvd using k3b...probably won't work in Brasero...
    I've taken encrypted dvds and k3b removed the encryption and made a non-encrypted copy for me...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    If you have libdvdcss2 installed (from the medibuntu repos) then you should be able to make a copy of an encrypted dvd using k3b...probably won't work in Brasero...
    I've taken encrypted dvds and k3b removed the encryption and made a non-encrypted copy for me...
    Well how did you install k3b? The Ubuntu version (including ppas) is not compiled with libdvdread so it can't rip dvd (it can copy to an iso but can't rip as far as I know)I always compile k3b from source with libdvdread so it can rip dvds but handbrake is much better (among other things k3b only rips to .avi).

EDITED: but then I haven't been installing k3b from repo since 10.04, maybe it works now.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 8th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm able to make a direct copy to copy in k3b from an encrypted dvd (although libdvdcss2 has to be installed before you do it)...not sure if it would work any other way then the copy to copy method...
    It removes the encryption and then make a direct (non encypted) copy for you...And does it very smoothly...but keep in mind, i am talking about a direct copy and not shrinking the size, converted the file or any other stuff...

I always install k3b (yeah, i know it brings in a bunch of kde stuff with it but it's worth it) as i find it to be the best dvd burner for linux...Brasero just doesn't work very well, i have found...
    And i install from the ubuntu software center... been doing that since ubuntu 11.10 and it always works for me
    Last edited by craig10x; May 8th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

Yes, direct copying would work, but ripping into a file won't because the version is not compiled against libdvdread. For ripping you need to compile from source against libdvdread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I LOVE how this thread's been going for almost 9 years... I wonder if OP still gets notified of every reply?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Anakondarh View Post
    I LOVE how this thread's been going for almost 9 years... I wonder if OP still gets notified of every reply?
    LMAO but very true!

Beans

Was Linux & Mac only for quite a few years(since 2004)...spent a lot of time with Fedora & Redhat...now getting back into the linux again, still have to use a Win XP lappy for work, and my main machine is Win 7. Have Ubuntu on my own laptop along with Win 7. This laptop may become all linux soon but I am still trying different distros.

Beans

I've switched completely over since January this year. I was a MFC Internalist/COM developer, but Windows 8 is horrid, it was the last straw after surviving Windows flops like 3.0, 95, ME, NT(early NT, that is) and Vista.. I have used Linux on and off since 1995 even bought redhat in 1999, but only used it a short while as all the key apps I use are in windows. Now however, most of my preferred apps are in Linux (some ONLY in linux) and any windows program that I still can't live without runs just great under Wine, which most Windows users are under the false impression that Wine is an unstable hard-to-configure Windows Emulator, when it isn't. Most of the time there is nothing to configure, and windows executables run right from the command line without even typing 'wine' thanks to the 'magic'. Started off with Ubuntu 12.10 in January... then Ubuntu 12.04 in March, I just transferred to Ubuntu Studio 13.04 and it screams... love it.

Page 945 of 984 FirstFirst ... 445845895935943944945946947955 ... LastLast