Page 933 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 433833883923931932933934935943983 ... LastLast
Results 9,321 to 9,330 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

The Mac Mini is running Ubuntu Studio; the Gateway laptop is running Ubuntu 12.10 (and Bodhi Linux once in a while). The iPad is collecting dust....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have about ten computers that I manage and all of them have Ubuntu as their primary OS. A few also can boot Microsoft Windows, which is an old-school OS that some of you may have heard of. Sometimes comes in handy when i want to use Itunes on an Ipod that I buy or sell here and there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    This is why I'm so thankful for Ubuntu. I go fed up with swapping to disk, crashes and freezes with Windows on my old (then new) Thinkpad. It was cutting down on productivity. After I tried Ubuntu, that was it! I was sold, so I formatted disk and went with Ubuntu only. I don't own anything Windows anymore. Even my wife asked me to install Ubuntu on her netbook after using mine. I do wish that we could get the word out to the masses of what they are missing!

Beans

It's been three years since I am using Linux. I think it works great. It is more secure then windows.Linux is customizable in a way that Windows is not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I switch to full Linux environment since 2010, after I graduated from my master. Since then, my resume for PhD job, report, fancy-flexible plots are all made by Linux (Ubuntu 10.04).

The reason is obvious: I used an old, laggy MS Windows XP on a P-M, 768 mb ram laptop. Then I thought, why I don't replace MS XP with Ubuntu I used? Then I started with Ubuntu 10.04 without pain because I used it couple times. But it got better since I have used it.

The only days I use Windows is/was when I am gaming and worked in a IT-infrastructure department in an international corporation in 2011. You will be surprised when only 5% of us could do the linux work, and I am in the 5% of them and they are graduated from management of computer science (but I am not, I was just a poweruser). Linux is still painful for people from windows world, even for people who learn computer science. My wife has manager Unix-based Cluster/HPC before, and she is very unwilling to use Linux instead of her laggy XP or laggy Win7 as she complained about. It's painful for people who used to MS-Windows, but I think people will survive after using it as a main OS.

By the way, the people who distribute to the open source should be appreciated. Thank you!

Beans

I have my home server as a solo Ubuntu machine but my main desktop still runs windows. I need to use certain programs that will not work on Ubuntu.

Beans

I need Photoshop, and I really tried Gimp, and I spend hours trying with it, but no, not possible, not the same even close, so, let's say that Photoshop is the only reason I must keep windows, unfortunately
    Let's wait for Adobe if someday will allow use it in Linux...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gurrunaki View Post
    I need Photoshop, and I really tried Gimp, and I spend hours trying with it, but no, not possible, not the same even close, so, let's say that Photoshop is the only reason I must keep windows, unfortunately
    Let's wait for Adobe if someday will allow use it in Linux...
    You can run it in Wine, no?

Beans

Unhappy Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    I agreed with you... i think the main reason why some people (and me) still hard to switched totally to Linux, because game. If more game companies and developers (especially huge and famous companies like EA Games) support and make it for linux version too, i'm sure most non-linux users will be changes to linux.

For example, android... most people loves android because it so many application and games developers support it... People don't care about the os either (if i'm not wrong, android based from linux, right?) and and Windows phone os still behind android...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I LOVE ubuntu 12.10, I use it for everything:

firefox - browser
    kdenlive - vid editor
    gtk-recordmydesktop/ffmpeg - screencasting
    gimp - 2d art
    blender - 3d art

But sadly I have a dualboot with Windows 8, I only use it for iTunes though.

Page 933 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 433833883923931932933934935943983 ... LastLast