Page 926 of 986 FirstFirst ... 426826876916924925926927928936976 ... LastLast
Results 9,251 to 9,260 of 9854

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

100% Linux for a while. I'm a Microsoft Tech and Network Administrator so I am stuck using Windows at work :@. At my office I use an iMac, which I love. Home, all I have is Ubuntu! Enjoy coming home every night to work from here

Beans

100% Linux too. At least at home
    Ubuntu and Xubuntu are my love, I used Kubuntu for a while but for some reason it don't fit to me so I stick with Ubuntu.
    I don't hate windows anyway but I still prefer Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsTX View Post
    I can view Hulu's stuff, YouTube's stuff on the Kbuntu machines but the Ubuntu boxes (mine and client's) will not. Although the problem seems to be an Adobe Problem... Seems to me that Adobe/Ubuntu/Canonical should have, would have, enough clout to force Adobe to G.T.S.T. in a more timely manner.
    12.04 is working here with YouTube, but I have mediubutu repositories enabled. Might try that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rickyrockrat View Post
    12.04 is working here with YouTube, but I have mediubutu repositories enabled. Might try that.
    http://www.medibuntu.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I did about two or three years ago.

I switched to Ubuntu Lucid by way of a soon-to-expire XP installation and downloaded it from the web. It all started after my Windows 2000 crashed and I could not repair or restore it.

I then got a newer PC with Ubuntu on it from a friend after a couple months later. I kept up with updates and version upgrades until I crashed my OS by removing things I was not using in the Software Center to the point that I lost my Settings icon and my Software Center icon.

So I tried using the remaining Update Manager icon to try a last resort of upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10 online before I could do any more damage. The PC rebooted after the upgrade, but it hung up in the boot process and I could not proceed any further.

Then I ordered some Linux CDs online and was able to put a working OS back on my computer. My backup computer now has a Canonical Ubuntu 12.04 LTS CD installation and works just fine. My primary computer was not as accomodating and refused to boot from the 12.04 CD, so I had to put a different Linux OS on it for the meantime while I sort out the boot problem.

But, I am very happy I got rid of Windows and I use Linux OS for viewing CD files, for Internet browsing, and viewing some documents.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I just completely switched to Ubuntu after few months of part time experience. For the last 10yrs as a independant consultant, I used XPpro which needed to be reinstalled each 6 months.
    But now after complete transfer, I also discover that software provider are not opened to collaborate with Linux world. For my job, I often need to organise webmeeting sessions and mainly organisations use Citrix, Ilink tools... And it is quite difficult for manage an efficient collaborative work with "Windows world" due to this restrictive transparency. Only Webex seems to have a solution !!
    Maybe my level of knowledge of Ubuntu has also some impact on my ability to manage theses difficulties, but to stay working only on Ubuntu will require me big effort; we are not able to change our customer tools, but better be open to use their tools !!
    But I try to stay on the Ubuntu track for a while.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kech07 View Post
    I just completely switched to Ubuntu after few months of part time experience. For the last 10yrs as a independant consultant, I used XPpro which needed to be reinstalled each 6 months.
    But now after complete transfer, I also discover that software provider are not opened to collaborate with Linux world. For my job, I often need to organise webmeeting sessions and mainly organisations use Citrix, Ilink tools... And it is quite difficult for manage an efficient collaborative work with "Windows world" due to this restrictive transparency. Only Webex seems to have a solution !!
    Maybe my level of knowledge of Ubuntu has also some impact on my ability to manage theses difficulties, but to stay working only on Ubuntu will require me big effort; we are not able to change our customer tools, but better be open to use their tools !!
    But I try to stay on the Ubuntu track for a while.
    There's no need to make your life difficult. If work requires you to use Windows, use Windows at work and Ubuntu at home.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    There's no need to make your life difficult. If work requires you to use Windows, use Windows at work and Ubuntu at home.
    +1

And encourage work to look at open source solutions, libre-office works on windows and will help with migration.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

When I got a laptop back in 2003 or so, I decided I would get a laptop and put Linux on it. It was a disaster, it couldn't suspend/resume, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't get the wifi to work. So I went back to Windows. Later on, I bought a eMac, and thought it was the best thing ever. I got another Mac - an iMac - and sold my eMac. I used that for several years until my girlfriend broke it when the desk it was on fell over and shattered the screen.

We moved across the country and got a laptop and stuck with Windows 7. Then we broke up, she kept the computer and I moved back home.

I bought this laptop in June after not having a computer for a few months, initially I used the Windows 7 that came with it. Even looked at getting Windows 8 - only $15 to upgrade! At some point many months ago I decided to install Linux on it, creating an extended partition. Here's the thing: Everything Just Worked™. After about six months, I realized I hadn't booted into Windows for any serious amount of time.

So I decided to completely nuke the Windows install. I formatted the Win7 partition to ext4, then copied all my data from my Linux partition to the first partition on the disk, the newly created ext4 partition. Then I reinstalled Linux, resizing the first partition to take advantage of the whole hard drive (except for a 20GB root partition and a swap partition). I am officially Windows free!

I still use some closed source software, I have a Blackberry Playbook (great deal for the hardware, pretty great OS) and an older Blackberry phone. I also have Opera installed on here, but use it infrequently. For games I usually play my 3DS.

Also, I *love* Unity. I hated it at first, switched distros to avoid it (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Debian, Bodhi, Mint, elementaryOS, Fedora, Fuduntu). Eventually I realized that my Fuduntu setup (it uses GNOME2) was basically a wannabe Unity, replete with Global Menu and Close/Min/Max buttons in the top panel. I also realized that GNOME2 doesn't really have much of a future, so I jumped ship. I'll probably stick with Unity for the forseeable future.

Beans

I mostly use OSX since it's on my laptop which I use almost exclusively. On my desktop and servers I run a variety of distros but I like Ubuntu just because it's so popular it's easy to get support and find software/packages for it. I have been playing on and off with it now for around 10 years I guess and I can say the progress has been immense. Very pleased.

Page 926 of 986 FirstFirst ... 426826876916924925926927928936976 ... LastLast