Page 890 of 986 FirstFirst ... 390790840880888889890891892900940 ... LastLast
Results 8,891 to 8,900 of 9851

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I only use windows for work. I dual boot my laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7. My PC is Ubuntu 12.04 only, as is my server. I made the full switch somewhere around December of last year and I haven't looked back.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I completely switch to Linux about every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by StardustLuna View Post
    I completely switched to Ubuntu a few days ago because a) Windows 7 kept throwing me the bluescreen, and no matter how many updates I did it would not work right. I couldn't put it into hibernate mode or else when it woke up it would bluescreen. And b) when I decided to restore my laptop to factory settings in hopes that it would fix the problem, it erased the boot data. Seriously, it wouldn't start up again to finish the restore process.

So I was given two options:
    1. Shell out more money to buy 7 again, and hopes that it will work this time.
    or
    2. Switch to Ubuntu which I KNOW will work and is free.
    I've heard that people have had success using their OEM license to install Windows 7 from the legal iso downloads from Digital River. You just have to make sure to download same version you had. But if you're liking Ubuntu, go for it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Lightbulb completely switched to Linux! switch to XMPP, too. cancel sms

Vista was the last straw for me. ALL home workstations/notebooks run one or another linux distro.

I prefer my games to be trapped in a console: no coerced hardware upgrades, no system assault by foolish/arrogant developers.

completely switch to XMPP, yet? mpOTR on the horizon

Beans

I switched from Linux to Mac for a certain set of software. Now that I no longer need it, the only barrier to switching is hardware support. Photoshop works great in Virtualbox, and everything else is covered under linux.

Beans

I did.

For me it meant freedom from a virus ridden life. My Canon Mx410 works with it, as do most other regular gadgets: phones/cameras/wireless. And I am content with LibreOffice, Inkscape, Audacity for other miscellaneous activities. Not a gamer or heavy duty user.

Switched about 4 years ago and have not looked back. Will not look back

Beans

I made the complete switch recently after buying a desktop from pc world and them not supplying it without windows! mind you i only paid £192 for a dual core i5 with 8Gb RAM

Beans
    Distro

On my laptops, I only run Linux-based operating systems. Ubuntu on the one, Arch Linux on the other. My home server (used for media steaming and backup) is running Ubuntu Server. On my desktop I have triple-booted Windows 7 Pro, Ubuntu and BackTrack.
    I also have a couple of VM's on my desktop with operating systems from Fedora, Debian and Mac OS to Windows 3.0, ReactOs and CentOS. There are two reasons why I still have Windows: gaming and sandboxing.
    Sure, the popular games (like CoD, Battlefield, WoW and CS) you can run in Wine without any problem. Wine actually handles (these) games better than Windows do. But some programs and games just don't work in Wine, for example programs that requires .NET Framework 3 and above.
    The other reason why I am still running Windows is the ability to easily run programs sandboxed. I have searched for an alternative program to Sandboxie for Linux, but so far I haven't found any program that's good enough.
    But one thing is sure, I'll never ever install Windows 8 on my computers. Windows 7 will, indeed, be the last OS from Microsoft I'll run.

EDIT: And oh, on my work I'm using Ubuntu too.
    Last edited by Bufeu; July 23rd, 2012 at 07:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been using only Ubuntu for a while now, on my last computer I had a dual boot setup with Vista but the Windows partition quietly resided the last year(s), only ran it sporadically.

Now I got a laptop with Windows 7 on it from work, first thing I did was installing Ubuntu actually. I'm not really a fan of the knocking/raging/ranting between Windows/Mac/Linux (perhaps I'm too old, had my share of it) but I have found that I enjoy working in Ubuntu a lot more than I do working in Windows, it feels much simpler and more available, "straight to business".

So for me the main point is not that Ubuntu is free, because my computers has always come bundled with Windows (which is ********, I give you that in raging) so I'd prefer Ubuntu over Windows even if both cost money/both were free.

switches from ubuntu to mac os

Beans
    Distro

I'm no gamer, and switched years ago. I'm still required to use Winblows at certain of my clients—I'm a self-employed professional software consultant—and my wife still uses it, but that's it.
    Linux—the choice of a GNU generation

Page 890 of 986 FirstFirst ... 390790840880888889890891892900940 ... LastLast