Page 889 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 389789839879887888889890891899939989 ... LastLast
Results 8,881 to 8,890 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I completely switched to Ubuntu a few days ago because a) Windows 7 kept throwing me the bluescreen, and no matter how many updates I did it would not work right. I couldn't put it into hibernate mode or else when it woke up it would bluescreen. And b) when I decided to restore my laptop to factory settings in hopes that it would fix the problem, it erased the boot data. Seriously, it wouldn't start up again to finish the restore process.

So I was given two options:
    1. Shell out more money to buy 7 again, and hopes that it will work this time.
    or
    2. Switch to Ubuntu which I KNOW will work and is free.

Honestly, I wanted to do that the very first time I got this computer, but decided not too because I thought configuring it would take time that I didn't have.

So while I've been house sitting for a friend, I've been tricking out my little laptop to do everything I ever wanted it to do and more. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can install a beats audio driver/program since the laptop originally came with it. And not too be offensive or anything, but my current audio is a hot mess.

~Stardust

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have windows and linux dualboot system, but the last time I used windows was long time ago. As it is the latest partition (with windows) on my hard drive, so it is time to delete it.
    Acer Extensa 5220 and Prestigio PC

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The day SolidWorks runs reliably on Linux (I'll even take Wine) I'm gone from Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wanted to awhile back, but like OP, I'm a gamer. Can't just ditch Windows.

Beans

Windows 7 runs quicker on one of my older desktops than Ubuntu does for some reason. Older versions of Ubuntu used to run faster than Windows, but sadly I've found that to have changed over the last few years.

I run Ubuntu on my cheap netbooks, but I wont run it on my expensive laptop. I've experienced overheating issues in the past with Ubuntu and don't want to risk damaging my hardware prematurely.

Also, in the school where I work I need to use Windows with the big screen, because Ubuntu doesn't work well with the usb to DVI video adapter I need to use. It's a mess changing the resolution to fit on the screen.

I also do some sound recording and radio/video shows. Ubuntu doesn't work too well with alot of audio/video processing tasks (which is why Jono Bacon does alot of his community Q&A sessions using Windows). I have a mixer hooked up to my main desktop and it's easier to get things right on Windows. Also, I use the Winamp DSP plugin for broadcasting live from my mixer to my shoutcast server. IDJC is ok for this sometimes but it breaks quite easily and takes more work to configure.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The last Windows version I used (at home), was 3.11. Refused to upgrade it to Windows 95. Started with Linux in 1997, with Red Hat 5.1. Linux has come a long way since!

Current OS situation: desktop with Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit, Acer Aspire One netbook with Ubuntu 12.04 32bit, EEE PC with Xandros , bridging router running dd-wrt, primary router runs Fritz!OS (is or wasn't that Linux based?), Philips TV PFL7606 runs Linux, four Android phones in the household, gf owns MacBook Air with OS X, one sad old WinXP laptop somewhere in a closet that's never really used anymore. A nearly Microsoft-free household Thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi to run xbmc on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ranger1021994 View Post
    Well i feel 10.04 is the best...12.04 is kind of disappointing but still its awesome
    Windows for Games
    I must admit, I hated the unity interface immediately in 12.04. However, I since discovered how to log in to the classic gnome interface and, after further installing some tweaks for it, it now feels just like 10.04, which is what I used before. Also, the added advantage of 12.04 is that it picked up my peripherals a lot better than 10.04.

So, it's all good....

Beans

I have been trying to migrate to linux for a few years but due to the problem of video calling in MSN, I switched back to Win many times. This time I will do my best as I ahve erased win7 but I have xp in virtualbox just in case and for a few language programmes etc.
    I started by using Freeinspire in the beginning and later Ubuntu. My first linux experince was Knoppix, I was fascinated by the live CD thing of Knoppix and I decided to use linux starting by Freeinspire, which I have used for a few months. Later I tried a lot of distroes but ended up in fortunately in Ubuntu.
    I hope the video calling will be solved in linux so that I will forget Win...
    I have learned a lot and still learn everyday and I have customized my ubutnu to my taste, yeah I have crashed my OS I mean linuxes and Windowses but I have learned through that as well...
    I like games and Playdeb has a lot to offer to gamers, I like Nexuiz most!
    Cheers!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I only use windows for work. I dual boot my laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7. My PC is Ubuntu 12.04 only, as is my server. I made the full switch somewhere around December of last year and I haven't looked back.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I completely switch to Linux about every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by StardustLuna View Post
    I completely switched to Ubuntu a few days ago because a) Windows 7 kept throwing me the bluescreen, and no matter how many updates I did it would not work right. I couldn't put it into hibernate mode or else when it woke up it would bluescreen. And b) when I decided to restore my laptop to factory settings in hopes that it would fix the problem, it erased the boot data. Seriously, it wouldn't start up again to finish the restore process.

So I was given two options:
    1. Shell out more money to buy 7 again, and hopes that it will work this time.
    or
    2. Switch to Ubuntu which I KNOW will work and is free.
    I've heard that people have had success using their OEM license to install Windows 7 from the legal iso downloads from Digital River. You just have to make sure to download same version you had. But if you're liking Ubuntu, go for it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 889 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 389789839879887888889890891899939989 ... LastLast