Page 882 of 986 FirstFirst ... 382782832872880881882883884892932982 ... LastLast
Results 8,811 to 8,820 of 9854

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by weaseldb83 View Post
    I have made the switch for everything I can.

I run Mint 11 Gnome/KDE4. 2.6.38-8
    AMDx2 Athalon (x2-215),2x 2.7 GHz, 4gigRAM, 16x9 20".

If I cant run something natively, I use Wine. If Wine is insufficient, as per my Ipod.. Only works with Itunes and that only works on windows / mac. In that case I use xp, Vista or 7 on a virtualbox through my Mint. I can emulate and/or run windows games full speed. I have several console emulators for N64, SNES, NES, etc.

There is however one reason why I still keep XP on a spare disk drive.. I can do all the android programming I want under Linux, but tho only way to flash them is over MS Windows. Believe me, I spent 2 months trying to break that pickle.

So basically I'm all Linux, I only use MS Windows as a tool to compliment and complete my computing environment.

PS: My virtualbox XP runs about 2x faster than it's stand alone clone.
    Next Step, KDE4 ontop of Vector7..

I am also doing android development on Ubuntu 12.04. Though I just started it recently and I am kind of noob in android but can you please share your problem? (if possible please make another thread and post its link here)

Beans

I am completely on linux. (lubuntu) I have got a canon printer(i90) and it works fine.

Beans

Switched completely to Ubuntu more than 2 months ago but by almost one week I turned my Ubuntu off because of cpu overheating problems. Waiting for a new kernel of something like this to fix this BIG and IMPORTANT problem.

Beans

I alway login on my ubuntu but I've discovered when I can't get the wireless to connect I can reboot into windows. Windows does some trouble shooting of the wireless connection. The I can reboot into ubuntu and the wireless connects. Otherwise I have no use for windows. Love ubuntu. It's a new adventure everyday.

Beans

I switched completely to ubuntu this week, the only things keeping Windows on my computer were WoW/Diablo3 and Visual Studio for uni work. WoW runs perfectly for me with WINE, I can live without D3 and I used MonoDevelop successfully for my last .NET project so I bit the bullet and went for a clean 12.04 install on saturday

Beans

I still use Vista Home basic for gaming. EVERYTHING else I use Black Opal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDeviant View Post
    Switched completely to Ubuntu more than 2 months ago but by almost one week I turned my Ubuntu off because of cpu overheating problems. Waiting for a new kernel of something like this to fix this BIG and IMPORTANT problem.
    Its unfortunate that you are facing that problem. But did you write about it on the forum and did you try to solve the problem ? I have used different versions of Linux on many computers since last 5 to 7 years or more but i have never faced this problem.

I would suggest you kindly give it a second try and ask for help on several forums.

In fact i feel Linux in general is far less resource hungry compared to similar version of Windows.

Beans

There are still a lot of things for which I can't find linux drivers. My Garmin GPS/Heartrate monitor I use for running for example.
    I am slowly migrating my accounts from a Windows package to a linux one and a few other things so I keen a windows VM for those.
    Also I use Windows at work - not my choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

It's unlikely that your overheating is a kernel problem. If you give a link to the thread you opened for assistance with the problem I'm sure some of the gurus hear would be glad to help you with your problem.

Again, while I'm certain it's not a kernel problem, if it were possible that it was, using a different kernel would be a very simple matter.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

Sounds like cpu scaling is not set up properly. Really unlikely, as said above, to be a kernel problem.

Page 882 of 986 FirstFirst ... 382782832872880881882883884892932982 ... LastLast