Page 857 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 357757807847855856857858859867907957 ... LastLast
Results 8,561 to 8,570 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by malsha View Post
    Linux is my OP by default since Windows won't load after my hard drive crashed. Though I've been using Ubuntu w/ Linux for about two years now I still can't get used to it. It's hard to fix when I don't what commands to type to solve certain issues. I am not all that good at solving most computer issues but I can do some basic stuff. Right now I'm having issues with my laptop again and about to change my hard drive and load MS and go back to familiar places. I prefer to press a button and the the problem is solved. It's too time consuming trying to type long commands and figure out what is wrong with your computer program especiall if you are not versed in technical stuff. Right not I need a virtual technician. I am so clueless right as to how to solve my computer issues not to mention my VirtualBox isn't working either . I like Linux because there isn't much of a virus threat but it's better used by those who are programmers or technical geeks. Right now I wish I were one if not both of those kinds of persons.
    I'm not particularly good at typing long commands either, but highlighting text, copying it and pasting it into terminal is pretty easy.

I had an issue with getting WiFi to work on my netbook whilst i was waiting for a flight at Sydney airport. I have the thing set up to dual-boot Win7 Starter and Ubuntu. I logged into Win7 Starter which found the network, and I did a google on my problem. Saved the page for future reference and downloaded the needed .deb file. Logged back into Ubuntu, installed the .deb with a double-click, and then following the instructions on the downloaded page copied and pasted the commands from the page to terminal.
    Boom. Done. WiFi worked.

Why not just stay in Win7? During my very short interlude looking for a solution, every app tried to update itself, Win7 tried to update itself, all sorts of things were trying to interrupt what I was doing, including the antivirus. The whole Windows environment is just plain *rude*. No manners. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, *it* is more important.

It was such a relief to get back to the ME-controlled environment of Ubuntu. Plus, WiFi worked brilliantly and has done so since then.
    Linux User #445955
    Let's use a little common sense. Of course, that's not all that common.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

All my PCs are Linux based except for my HTPC at home (Win7) and my work laptop is a MacBook Pro. The other 5 PCs at work are all running Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    as far as a gamer goes...there are plenty of vms you can do or use...or programs that are window program friendly...and you can game on ubuntu...Im sure there are plenty of people that can help you with that...I just switched to complete ubuntu about three months ago...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was only using Windows 7 for Netflix ... but when I got my new blue ray player and could access netflix on my HDTV I unplugged the dual boot. I now dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 10.04... SO yeah.. I am completely converted.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

After a year of barely using the Windows 7 on my laptop, I killed it off last week.

2 desktops, and 1 laptop, all -Buntu'd.

Now I have to work on Linux-Brainwashing the wife, lol!

Beans

I want to , but I keep a Windows partition for games also. I'm sort of stuck because I don't play games enough to justify a separate gaming computer but I play them just enough that I can't leave Windows.

Beans

All my computers are running GNU/Linux hehe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been a Linux user since 1999 but I was using mostly Mandrake and Redhat/Fedora until 2007 when I switched to Ubuntu. I still run Windows in a VM inside VirtualBox because I need it for Photoshop but ultimately I spend 98.5% of my time in Ubuntu. I don't do much gaming anymore so no real need for running Windows natively. I got rid of my Windows gaming desktop years ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Linux has it's place that's for sure. But, most users still have a Windows partition they can go to for the programs they really need. I suppose a lot of the blame goes to the software companies who write closed source programs that only truly works out of the box with Windows. And, really who can blame them. They spend four years in college learning how to program... hell... they deserve to make a living to. With Linux sadly - for most of the programs that people use on a daily basis.. well you end up spending hours upon hours trying to figure out how to install and use. And, the so-called "community" isn't much help. I see so many basic and simple questions, even on this board, that go completely ignored - and the author, in a lot of cases, throws their hands in the air and goes back to Windows.

In my honest and humble opinion - Linux is a hobbiest's OS. It's not ready for the main stream. And, until it takes serious the demands of the average user it never will be.

I had Rosetta Stone working in 10.04.... I upgrade to 12.04 and now it doesn't work. So, now I get to spend another day of my life trying to figure out how to make it work again. Or I can pose a question to the so called "community" and get no answer that actually works. So, in the end I just say ef it and use Windows. Or you get answers that require three days worth of tweaking and screwing around until the next update when your program is broken yet again. And you're back to where you started. Lots of "cool" things and applications, but nothing that really has any value where productivity is concerned.

Nothing works. Everything works. Then it's broken. Then it works again. Then it's broken again. That is why Linux will never be mainstream.
    Last edited by ExSuSEusr; March 20th, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
    "Only because the richest software company on the planet is utterly incompetent, and incapable of building a secure operating system. -- Carla Schroder

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beta software is likely to break. Finding and reporting bugs is the sole purpose of a beta release.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 857 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 357757807847855856857858859867907957 ... LastLast