Page 842 of 985 FirstFirst ... 342742792832840841842843844852892942 ... LastLast
Results 8,411 to 8,420 of 9848

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Since I don't play Computer Games anymore there was little to hold me back to Windows. So... I went totally Linux about 5 years ago. I'm pretty happy with that decision but I still have some complaints with printers (and especially the default locale/units settings suck with most Linuxes versions if you want to use English language but do not live in US) but all in all I have not looked back.

Most internet servers are Linux servers and since most of my work is internet related it really is the only sensible solution.

Windows (and Mac) are all about "limits that WE don't want you to break (unless you pay us first)" while Linux is all about "there are no limits! We don't care what you want to do with your computer."

That should pretty much say it all. If you want freedom the choice is clear. If you want to stay "limited" you pay for your OS.

Beans

I use lubuntu on my netbook, but have a dual boot with W7, have a few programs that i cant live without, on my main computer, an imac i run OSX. So far from completely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ernestj View Post
    I still dual boot, but I have not been on my windows partition in over 6 months. I have no use for it and frankly, I do not like windows. I have tried several Linux distros, but I have fallen head over heals for Xubuntu. When I last went into my windows partition, I crashed windows cause i was clicking buttons so fast, like I do in Xubuntu. Xubuntu responds, windows crashes. I was sooooo sick of seeing that little blue circle spinning and spinning. I go to online University, and i was so nervous that I would have to access the school and do my work in Windows. The good news is that I am in Linux and there is no problem with school.
    Have you tried gimpshop http://gimpshop.com/? or virtualbox and windows+photoshop?

/Cheers
    /Azyx

Ubuntu 14.04LTS 64bit, 14.04 Lubuntu 32-bit on eeePCs and OSX on a G4 800MHz iMac (iLamp). I think I have an W7 on one of my Virtualbox machine under 14.04LTS?

Beans

hi all ,as silver surfer i changed to ubuntu 11.10 several weeks ago with no experience and despite being in late sixties ,to say it is a steep learning curve was/is an understatement.reason - a new challenge and i liked the camaraderie in the forums.
    Biggest problem so far -getting two pcs to connect to each other and connect them to Internet , took nearly 3 days,solution-run live cd and ubuntu did the rest .
    regards
    coldte

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coldte View Post
    hi all ,as silver surfer i changed to ubuntu 11.10 several weeks ago with no experience and despite being in late sixties ,to say it is a steep learning curve was/is an understatement.reason - a new challenge and i liked the camaraderie in the forums.
    Biggest problem so far -getting two pcs to connect to each other and connect them to Internet , took nearly 3 days,solution-run live cd and ubuntu did the rest .
    regards
    coldte
    Welcome aboard, coldte! I switched over about 3 years ago myself, and I've stuck with it largely for the same reasons you started: the community and the challenge of it. I also wanted to get away from Windows--I always felt...vulnerable somehow, being completely dependent on a proprietary operating system.

Of course, I still often grumble to myself about how everything's harder to do in Linux than Windows--but that's an overstatement, since some things are actually easier. Some things are equally hard or easy in either of course--of those that aren't, I'd say for me about 1/3 is easier in Linux, and 2/3 easier in Windows (probably because I'm more used to Windows).

Beans

Deleted post because of error.
    Last edited by sammiev; January 7th, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

Beans

so error. deleted post.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm not using Windows since a few years ago. I use Ubuntu all the time, although I find 11.10 to be a bad step back in performance and usability. Very fancy but useless. Some examples? Things are difficult to find, proxy settings disappeared, a huge amount of memory used just for the desktop... Isn't it enough?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have you tried Xubuntu?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have been using GNU/Linux since 8.04 Hardy Heron. Yes, Ubuntu has caused me to pull my few remaining hairs out on occasion. Yes, I dual boot so I can play the games Windows 7 LETS me play. Yes, I hate Unity and GNOME 3, so I run Linux Mint so I have MATE and Cinnamon. Yes, I usually use XFCE. But that's the FREEDOM of GNU/Linux. If one distro doesn't do it for you, try another (having your /home on its own partition makes this a snap). If you don't like the interface, install another; you're bound to find one you are confortable with.

Someone mentioned his love of Photoshop. I have it installed on my Windows partition. I was editing some large scanned images. Photoshop simply couldn't open them (not enough memory). I rebooted into Mint, and opened and edited them successfully with GIMP, which may have a steeper learning curve, but it did the job when Photoshop couldn't.

Microsoft and third-party programmers are fewer in number than open source programmers. A malicious coder may slip a back door into an executable, and, in Windows, that coder will be the only one who knows about it. An open source coder would have to hide a back door in PLAIN SIGHT, and (it is guaranteed) it WILL be spotted by another programmer. There is a peer reviewing aspect to open source programming that is simply nonexistent in the closed-source world.

By the way, my PC runs Windows 7 about 10% of the time, and GNU/Linux 90% of the time. Aside from certain games, GNU/Linux allows me to do EVERYTHING I want to do ith my computer, and it's MUCH more fun than Windows; as I tell people, the more you know about computers, the better you'll like GNU/Linux.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Page 842 of 985 FirstFirst ... 342742792832840841842843844852892942 ... LastLast