Page 701 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 201601651691699700701702703711751801 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,010 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by oelph View Post
    Well, I've been thoroughly impressed with Ubuntu the last few days. It isn't just an alternative but a better replacement to Windows 7, so I've bitten the bullet (after making many backups!) and deleted my Windows 7 partition. I'm going to try to stick this out through any 'bad' times that I'm sure will crop up. Nothing's perfect
    yep but honestly after you hit the first snag everything else seems really really easy afterword

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am. But now i have two windows hard drives laying around.
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not completely - I have to retain one XP SP3 box for MS Flight Simulator + associated tools which I've been hooked on for about 25 years. Everything else is linux - specifically Ubuntu 10.04LTS.

I've used linux since RH5 as a platform for my work in examining Windows networks, large and small, for vulnerabilities and have been dimly aware of the enormous strides that have been made in tuxworld in the last 5 years in making Linux into a credible desktop for real people. When the need came to re-configure my computer use for my retired years I was looking for an affordable hardware which was economically maintainable for about ten years, an OS which was robust and required little daily maintainence and an apps. set which supports all my functional computing needs.

I ruled out building a new Windows box - over the forecast life the TCO would be far, far to high. I really will not contemplate rebuilding the box every 18 months as it is destabilised by use. I ain't going to commit to forever chasing Microsoft uphill through successive 'improved' versions of their OS, through ever larger hardware spends. Can't afford it and a week rebuilding a failing Windows box is time I ain't going to get back.

So it came down to Fedora - which I knew, or Ubuntu which I had never noticed before. Fedora 13 seemed too geeky - it reminded me of the bad old days when I had to graft 24/7 for my daily bread. Ubuntu looked like all my generation had dreamed of when we helped computers out of their temples and into people's lives and workplaces.

First impressions have been validated by my first two months of using Ubuntu. Rock solid linux, as expected. If anything unexpected happens I shall know where to look and how to sort it out. The desktop system architecture is very well thought out and implemented. It is exceptionally easy to update and to install new functionality. It this point in my life it does the business.

ATB
    rjbl

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by corrytonapple View Post
    I am. But now i have two windows hard drives laying around.
    I did that with one drive for a while and decided that it was a waste of a good drive, formatted the bugger and used it for trying more Linux distros. You only need about 40 gig per OS to really try them out pretty well. You can put a bunch of them on most drives any more and you have two of the buggers.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    I am in my second week of Ubuntu 10.4 FREEDOM at last from the Microsoft crap. Every machine I have had eventually got updated and packed out crippling them. I am now enjoying using a 6 year old laptop ( don't like wasting money) and having a ball.

Fast and efficient and just about plug n play all the way. I am Sitting in our caravan in field in rustic Portugal with Portuguese Kangaroo mobile internet. Unlike windows it fires up automatically on boot 100% every time. What a performance on my new (almost) Vista machine.

It is fun .. actually enjoying trying the different stuff in the repository and going into forums and getting to actually know what I am doing. With firefox I can get into all the secure bank type accounts no problem.

At 63 I am even going to try some developing as I started on pooters using binary .. what a galaxy bustin ride its been. I am retired kind of so I have the time to explore ... ADVICE >>>> YOU GOT WINDOWS ... DUMP THE RUBBISH AND GO Unbutu you will be delighted.

Beans

i was searching for a linux distro for a long time maybe 5 years. Me finding Ubuntu was great, install drivers for video and sometimes printers is what held me up, and Ubuntu a great linux for noobs like me. I have been using Ubuntu Linux for four years and 100% switch took about a year and that is all i use now Ubuntu, thanks Ubuntu!

Beans

I've got to reply again. I've tried Linux many many times. There are stacks of recordable CDs behind me for all manner of distros

This is the first time I've felt truly comfortable with Linux and its bloody fantastic! It really is better than Windows. In subtle and not so subtle ways. Excellent stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I made the switch from windows to Ubuntu yesterday, and so far I am loving it. Ubuntu is so much sleeker, faster and more aesthetically pleasing than windows. I was running windows vista home basic which was so slow on my computer, I am very pleased with the boot times and just general speed of Ubuntu so far, and I hope it stays that way !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I only run Ubuntu on my laptop and netbook but i have two hard drives with windows stored away for when i need it, like when I need to back up or update my iphone that linux still cant do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    I have. I've used dreadful Windows XP for a while... but some years back I got sick of the problems it was having. So I made the switch.

Page 701 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 201601651691699700701702703711751801 ... LastLast