Page 64 of 986 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164564 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I've been a serial Linux installer for years, but never really used any installation.

It all started with a slackware version of the back of a book in 1995 on a 286. Since then I've installed just about every SUSE from 6.0, tried redhat, and coutless live CD's from various distributions.

Every time I would play with them for a week or two, and then leave them sleeping in their own partition until the next install. I had everything I needed on windows and I was comfortable with how it all hung together. I once even tried setting SUSE as my default boot OS, just to try and force myself to use it, but the rest of my family freeked out, so I defaulted to XP again.

Ubuntu is my latest attempt at a switch, and for some reason, I keep coming back.

Still havn't completely switched OS yet though - ubuntu hasn't been installed on the main family machine. My wife only needs email and browser, so could be converted easily to Linux. My son, on the other hand, absolutely has to play the latest games - and that means windows!

As for me, I still need to leave the comfort zone of the applications I know. Most are opensource (I always try the open alternative when available), but programs like adobe premiere don't yet seem to have complete alternatives.

Beans

Switched to Linux about 8 month ago now. I started using Fedora Core, but it felt slow and bloathed, so I gave Ubuntu a try.
    Never looked back since.

Windows still resides on a smaller dedicated HDD, but only for games. But since I don't play that often anymore, it sometimes takes weeks, till I start up Windows. And almost every time I have to update it and - can you guess it - reboot it a few times till it's actuallly ready and safe to use.

Beans

Cool Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have two Linux boxes running Ubuntu as their primary OS. My wife's PC is still a M$Win XP box. I'll get her converted eventually.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Downloaded, installed and started loving Ubuntu 2 weeks ago.
    I have windows 98 still, but i have reason.
    Reason: i currently have a windows application in production with a team of people; i am not the type to run out on my friends, although, Ubuntu is now one of them (friends)

Right now i'm learning Shell programming/scripting; knowing this will greatly help me understand the wonder that is linux more productively.

Reguards,
    Paul.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

I stopped using (XP that is) about two months ago . However my husband still has it. I've had some crazy problems, but my laptop doesn't have panic attacks and I don't have to worry about losing all of my data, which happened to me three times in two years.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been completely switched since summer 2005. I've been using Linux as my main OS since Jan. 2004, when I bought my first (e.g. not my parents') PC. That was Mandrake, which was OK, but left something to be desired. I had to use Windows this summer because it took me forever to get a wireless card working. I had to get the stupid card working because the apartment I was in had free wireless internet, and the apartment was paid for by my employer. I only got it working after I installed Gentoo (mainly because by the time I got it installed, the wireless thing was cake). I used Gentoo for the summer and got sick of maintaining it. It's been Ubuntu all the way since then. I never even booted Windows when I got my laptop in August.

Unfortunately, at work and school, I've had to use Windows. For example, TI's Code Composer Studio is Windows only.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm a gamer at heart, but I script and map in UT. I'm new to Linux, but I do know that it's possible to at least use ucc.exe in wine; whether I can use unrealed is another thing. That and that alone would keep me with a hard drive with windows on it.

Other than that, I see no reason (once I iron out a few niggling things) to keep windows.

Once synaptic is perfected, and there is the ability to never use the command line, you will see Ubuntu move out to total legitimacy in the eyes of the users of Windows who dare not venture out from under the curtains.

Once this happens, I suggest you all sell off your microsoft stock asap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

What keeps windows on my machine: 1 thing, my IDE RAID0 array. I can't get it to recognize as a RAID which drains me of 160gb of data. Alas noone has been able to even speculate on anything involving my RAID, and every howto i find is irrelevant( i don't need to boot from the raid just access it) or the one i did find that was relevant doesn't work. And that's it. I'm begining to wonder if there even is an answer to my problem...
    this isn't even just an ubuntu problem, i've never in the last 5 years of dabbling in linux been able to get a RAID array working under any distro (redhat, mandrake, suse, slack). i've managed to get the computer to boot with the devices plugged in and even show up. But regardless there appears to be no help for me.
    well it's that and the upcoming releasse of AoE:3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'd been exclusively using Fedora for more than a year. Now, I decided for Ubuntu Breezy Badger.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster
    I'm a gamer at heart, but I script and map in UT. I'm new to Linux, but I do know that it's possible to at least use ucc.exe in wine; whether I can use unrealed is another thing. That and that alone would keep me with a hard drive with windows on it.
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingamebo...D=30457&page=5

consensus seems to be that unrealED will run under linux - perhaps with wineX or cedega. It dosn't seem trivial though.

Page 64 of 986 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164564 ... LastLast