Page 63 of 986 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163563 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I keep windows for 3 main reasons.

1. Music production software.

2. Debugging websites in IE and all around giving tech support to people who use windows (my first solution is always "switch to linux")

3. Flash MX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I was dualbooting untill 2000, after that i used mandrake, redhat, slackware etc. before the switch to Debian... Used that until i turned over to Ubuntu about 6 mounths ago... Wanted a cutting edge distro that wasnt named unstable...
    The change to ubuntu came from my brother whom i have been helping for ages with debian and setting it up.. he stubled over ubuntu and told me about it. Did a try with a live-cd and fell in love...

Beans

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

i just love linux...and specifically ubuntu...i did not get around to learning all the tricks of the trade...as in some advanced trouble shooting and/or tweaking....but i can hold my own in a light linux conversation...i do revert to WindowsXP from time to time because of my Extigy Soundcard and 5.1 surround speaker system....but i think that LINUX would be my OS of choice by far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by sx460
    I find it annoying how people bash Windows left and right and say it's a "piece of crap" and so insecure and unstable....

For a moment get off your Linux high horses and take a second to not lie to yourself about how hard it can be to install video drivers, get the network to work, remove installed programs/track ones you've installed, the cumbersomeness of having to use to the console to fix some (not all) setting/problems.
    <kudos />

I've made the switch for personal use, but my job keeps XP on my desktop two days a week. I've fallen in love with Ubuntu and find XP incredibly irritating in many ways, but I'm not encouraging most of the people I know to migrate.

Why? Because most of my friends are middle-tier users. They can install programs, troubleshoot and fix common ailments, they don't download unsolicited attachments or wonder why their machines don't work during power outages.

For the geek, Linux is a god send - an OS that will let you do what you want and when you want. I'm having enormous amounts of fun writing a script here, configuring a new windows manager there, compiling a new kernel, hacking up a gDesklet ... it's just like the good old days.

For the complete novice with a technically literate friend, Linux is a god-send: they can use Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird, Beep and Xine, perhaps a genealogy program or two (!) - what more do they want? They won't try and install too many things, or look too deep under the covers and Ubuntu makes those few tasks attractive and simple, shields them from malware and script kiddies, and hides the dangerous toys out of their way.

But for the middle-tier user, technically savvy but not inclined to read too deeply, Linux is a bewildering minefield. I grew up on command lines; I wrote BASIC on a commodore, played endlessly with batch scripts under DOS, and always popped back to the prompt when a task would take too long by hand under Windows - but my god, trying to read through a Linux how-to is an exercise in frustration for the unwary first-timer.

The first time I installed a wireless card took two sleepless nights of misery, I only persisted because I didn't have a Windows disk and I needed my laptop back from the grave.

To be fair, the Ubuntu community is a cut above most of what's out there, but Wind0ze has come a long long way, and so have Microsoft - my beloved 2K box ran for months at a time without reboot and that was working as a *development box* with DLLs flying in all directions. My Ubuntu laptop is yet to make three consecutive days owing (I think) to some kind of graphics problem that intermittently causes it to hang. I'll fix it, and I'll enjoy doing it, but most of my friends wouldn't.

</rant>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have been windows free since 2002... But I still have to trouble shoot it at work on the phone so I use vmware. At home I do not have windows on any of my systems.
    Linux is like a teepee. It has no windows, no gates, and there's an Apache inside.
    Desktop : Ubuntu 8.04, Home Laptop: Ubuntu 8.04, External HD on Work Laptop: Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

Wink Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I am a 58 year old retired grandmom and I love dabbling with computers. I tried Linux about 1 year ago and went through Mandrake, several versions of Fedora and then found Ubuntu. I gave WinXP the permanent Boot about 5 months ago. I had to get a new scanner, but as a previous poster said I found a realy good refurbished Epson that works great. Laugh if you may but the only thing I miss is being able to print a greeting card from time to time. The satisfaction I get from being Windows free is well worth it.

I was helping my neighbor get connected with my ISP and mentioned Ubuntu to the ISP technician, I ended up mailing him 8 Ubuntu CD's and he and five other tech reps are now Ubuntu fans too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Canary
    I am a 58 year old retired grandmom and I love dabbling with computers. I tried Linux about 1 year ago and went through Mandrake, several versions of Fedora and then found Ubuntu. I gave WinXP the permanent Boot about 5 months ago. I had to get a new scanner, but as a previous poster said I found a realy good refurbished Epson that works great. Laugh if you may but the only thing I miss is being able to print a greeting card from time to time. The satisfaction I get from being Windows free is well worth it.

I was helping my neighbor get connected with my ISP and mentioned Ubuntu to the ISP technician, I ended up mailing him 8 Ubuntu CD's and he and five other tech reps are now Ubuntu fans too.
    I think we're going to adopt you as Grandma Ubuntu. You are remarkably adaptible, and this is something I don't see every day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I switched completely to linux in 2003 when windows died taking my thesis and 6 months worth of baby photos with it. It meant I had to buy a CD drive - which had only just come down in price (this is New Zealand).

The university (of Auckland) physics dept. had switched to linux only a year before - in protest at the licence fee microsoft was charging. The change had been in the sir for years as open source is often the only solution for scientific applications. You have to be able to show that your results are not an artifact of the software ... which you cannot do if it is proprietory.

Most recently I installed ubuntu hoary to a laptop - which I had purchased on the vasis that the live cd will detect and configure all the hardware. It was the second one I tried. The first, a compaq, would have worked had I used the kernel parameters suggested in the cd.

However, I couldn't buy a laptop without windows.

I considered keeping a dual boot - which gives me the windows licence dosn't it? Or do I have the licence by paying the redmond tax? So I can use all those dll and codecs and so on? Anyway - winXP-home came pre-installed on 5 vfat partitions! The "c" drive was actually two partitions. This pretty much killed the idea of a dual boot (where whould I fit it in?)

I have only one win box - dual boot with ubuntu - for historical reasons. I used to use it for scanning and syncing my pda but my main linux box does that now.

I'm considering reinstalling ubuntu as a server and using it to share scanning, printing, and so on. Or, maybe I'll just give it away and save the space. But these are things I wouln't have considered in my windows/dos days.

Like many of the older linux folk, I grew up with dos command-line, pre-structured basic programming (trs80, zx spectrum, anyone?) - and even scratch built my first computer (1802 cmos processor, 4k RAM, 4k EPROM, hand-etched/soldered PCB) which I had to program in machine code.

However, I don't see linux as for hackers and technical minded folk at all. ust for anyone who would benifit and is prepared to give things a go.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Hoary 5.04

I use Windows XP to store things. Don't even let it smell Internet connection.
    Started at about 1.5 years ago with Slackware. I've been testing different distributions since.
    Favourite for now - SUSE. It just works without any problem on all machines I have, and I'm very happy with Yast.
    I like Kubuntu but it has some problems which are really irritating. Once I get used to it and I have the system working the way I want it to, I guess I'll be using it a lot.

Beans

I'm working and having fun with computers for almost 20 years, completely switching to one OS will never happen, I will always be interested in new developments and Windows is developing for sure. Comparing Linux with Windows is like comparing appels and orranges, it's a matter of taste.
    Personaly I like 'm both.

I earn my living developing for Windows, developing for Linux is just starting, just for fun though..

Page 63 of 986 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163563 ... LastLast