Page 452 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 352402442450451452453454462502552952 ... LastLast
Results 4,511 to 4,520 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I have been using linux since 1998 when I started playing with Red Hat and running my desktop dual boot. When the kids were younger Saturdays were "windows free". Now they both own Mac, but that's better than nothing.
    I still have to run Window$ at work and we just bought my wife a new quad-core machine that handles vista nicely. some day I will do a wubi install on that machine when she is not watching.

I have run Ubuntu exclusively on my Sony VIAO since 2004 when I "accidentally" overwrote the windows partition installing version 6. I have not missed the beast and my lappy runs just fine, playing and writing dvd's. I'm not a gamer so the lack of linux games does not bother me. I may still try out second life, later today, if I have nothing better to do.

When I talk to people about their problems on window$ I always suggest that there is a better way, but I don't unplug them unless they really want to.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I booted up Vista on Friday night because I couldn't get BBC iPlayer to work in Linux (dunno how to configure the Helix RealPlayer plugin for Firefox).

Anyway, I got into Vista, waited ages for the HDD to stop spinning, found out my antivirus licence had expired, requested a new one, while doing this, the whole OS shut down without warning, installed 2 updates, rebooted, installed another update and then sat there warning me that my antivirus was out of date!

Sorry, but I just can'#t handle the trash any more. Ubuntu has got its little problems (like the iPlayer issue) but it's just SO much more grown up. Hopefully as it develops it will become a bit more easy to work around problems (and also as I get more used to using the thing).

Ah well...
    Windows can't be all bad. It forced me to start using Ubuntu Linux.
    Main PC: Athlon X4 640/8GB RAM/Dual Boot: kubuntu 14.04 Trusty/Mint 17 Cinnamon
    Backup PC: Athlon X2 4000+/1GB RAM/Dual Boot: kubuntu 14.04 Trusty/Ubuntu 11.04 Natty

Beans

I still have Vista installed in a 35 Gb partition on my hard drive, my new years resolution is to not boot it up, so far so good, if I make the year it is gone.

Beans

My laptop is Windows free since one 1 year ago but linux has been my primary os for a couple of years

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Talking Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptops and netbook, but still trying to figure out a way to convert my multi monitor desktop to Linux all the way. Right now if it wasn't for the problem I am having trying to add sound drivers to my system I would in a heartbeat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Windows free for a year now. I have XP and Win7 installed as VM's, but I never turn them on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by inigomontoya View Post
    Everything works including the card reader.
    Have you tried different cards in it? I thought my card reader (multi card type) didn't work. The only cards I had was Memory sticks, since I have a Sony camera, but a few days ago I bought an SD card for my GPS navigator, and I put it in the card reader, and Ubuntu found it immediately! So it seems like my drivers are there and they work, but they are not complete, or something like that.

Well, I don't mind, I don't need Memory sticks anyway (the camera has USB, of course), SD is fine for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I use XP only for gaming like counter strike or any other games....

otherwise i am always on Linux (Hardy heron)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

After 12+ years of windows I now use Ubuntu as my only OS on all my computers.

1x Dell Inspirion 7500 (455Mhz 256 Mb ram) for web browsing and programming.
    1x Packard bell (850Mhz 256 Mb ram) for domestic security with parallel port connected sensors and bluetooth dialup for notifications
    1xTiny pc (750 Mhz 256Mb ram) as file server/backup.

all machines are connected over bluetooth network.

I made the switch after losing all my digitised Uni notes from drive-by download malware that installed a rootkit (confirmed by BT services) that prevented recovery!

My only regret is not switching to Ubuntu, or other distro much sooner.

Beans

i use Linux on my Desktop , notebook, Firewall, file server and soon im my PVR.. i only use windows at work and on my media center.. im trying to get mythtv working but im not their yeat.. my hole switch over start about 6 mounts a go. i have been running ubuntu for all most 2 years, and verry happy with it . just having one problam stoping me from moving from vista mce to Mythtv it the Ir blaster.. cant figure it out how to make it work in myth...

Page 452 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 352402442450451452453454462502552952 ... LastLast