Page 391 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391392393401441491891 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,910 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Arabiest View Post
    For me....

Despite how much LINUX is challenging and cumbersome to deal with especially when converting from a complete GUI environment such as WINDOWS or MAC OS, its worth it.

Also, despite that my work is based on WINDOWS environment, I personally believe that Linux is more powerful and eye catching with its amazing effects.

In view of the above, I am now OFFICIALLY a LINUX-UBUNTU Loyal USE

My only recommendation from Ubuntu team and management is to consider the following if they want to compete and dominate the operating system.

1- It is not a 100% GUI interface...that is to say, most of required package to run the system are independent and have to look for them here and there, which makes it difficult and sometimes frustrate users whom are with no programming knowledge...it is designed for IT oriented people (Engineers, IT technicians, Technical People...).

2- It is command driven in majority, which is something that makes it hard to use and deal with especially when the system fails to login due to ownership problem. I wish if it is fully GUI which will make it friendly user and I am sure that if it so, WINDOWS & MAC OS are GOOD BUY...will be recalled as OS of the past.

3- It does not support most of the PC hardware, which makes it not preferred by all, when they realize that they have to deal with commands, which is something a user will avoid no matter what great feature the system will or is offering.

All of the above can change if the LINUX community force its OS by adapting a new MARKETING strategy. In my opinion can be achieved once the H/W manufacturers and S/W developers find LINUX an OS that USER can deal with it in ease.

Failing to do so, will not encourage average users whom are 90% of the total users from even thinking of using LINUX no matter what.

Sorry for being so blunt and I apologize for what seems negative things about LINUX in general and Ubuntu in specific.

Wish you all a happy life.

Arabiest
    As far as I know, thats the goal of Ubuntu, to actually get a majority standing in desktop operating systems, there are a few hurdles (commercial drivers being the biggest), but they're doing a great job in overcoming them, personnally I quite enjoy learning all there is to know about Linux (and any other aspect of computers that doesn't have viruses to target virus scanners), I also know that not everyone finds it as interesting as I do, nor has the time to. So I see where you comming from, but I'll agree, when seting up new programs and hardware you need to know at least a few commands, but give it a few years, there will be graphical programs to run .bin,.sh,etc installers, and as soon as the majority of hardware companies support Linux for their devices, it'll clear up a lot of the configuration problems too, so I'd say that we aren't far of from being the dream...
    By the people, for the people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If I could find a way to run COD2 and COD-UO on Ubuntu, I would get rid of the virus called windows all together. My main laptop is Ubuntu, my garage is Kubuntu. Besides the Linux kernel and main programming has been around a long time and is always updated and basically never changes and all versions are basically compatible, backward and forward, unlike windows which makes users waste more money upgrading every couple of years. Gee, 2009 comes another windows version, yet incompatible with the last versions.
    Linux is free and is for me. Windows u have to buy but why?.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have finally made the switch to get rid of windows and go with 5 machines running linux. 3 Ubuntu two of which are Lamp servers (with the 3 (ppps) and 2 Gentoo boxes, with a mac mini, and a gateway laptop with mac osX86 Leopard!!!

No time for games its work work work....

but glad to be rid of my debugging windows headaches!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am on my way to going completely Linux, the only thing stopping me is installation problems which will be sorted out.

I am not a gamer, well I am not an online gamer I prefer my PS (not connected to internet) but as with above, it suits my needs perfectly and I get windows headaches and something I nicknamed "windows tourettes" which is not good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The reason I didn't switch completely to Linux straight away was because I did not know how to customize the system to my liking, but I understand it more now and have it as my main OS.

Unfortunately I still need Windows for one reason, Adobe. I need the Adobe suite for my college course! And that annoys me. So XP only has 5 Gb allocated to it now (It still complains that it doesn't have enough hard disk space!)

mniz
    Last edited by mynameiszanders; October 18th, 2008 at 02:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerzydirtracer View Post
    If I could find a way to run COD2 and COD-UO on Ubuntu, I would get rid of the virus called windows all together. My main laptop is Ubuntu, my garage is Kubuntu. Besides the Linux kernel and main programming has been around a long time and is always updated and basically never changes and all versions are basically compatible, backward and forward, unlike windows which makes users waste more money upgrading every couple of years. Gee, 2009 comes another windows version, yet incompatible with the last versions.
    I was surprised at how easy WINE let me play CoD and CoD:UO, I haven't tried CoD2 or 4 yet (have to find where my kids put the darn disks!).

I dual booted for a couple of weeks. I had installed Ubuntu and XP on the same HD and have all my programs on a separate NFTS HD which were installed through XP. I merely installed WINE under Ubuntu, then browsed to the executable for the game (with the disk in the CD tray), click and play! It even lets me play my saved games.

Once I figured out that, I backed up my /home folder, and blew out XP. My main computer is now full time Ubuntu.

I'm not completely Windows free, nor do I want to be. I have a secondary system for when I need Office and other Windows only apps. And I haven't managed to get Spore to play using WINE. YET!!

I am slowly converting my family to Ubuntu. I currently have 6 desktops and 1 laptop networked. I think I can completely convert at least 3 of the desktops, dual boot the balance and retain the laptop for Windows for my Windows only work apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BGrigg View Post
    I am slowly converting my family to Ubuntu. I currently have 6 desktops and 1 laptop networked. I think I can completely convert at least 3 of the desktops, dual boot the balance and retain the laptop for Windows for my Windows only work apps.
    LOL
    I had a good chuckle when I read your comments - there is an excellent thread that I think you should look at - URL below

Dont take it personal - it was just the "6 computers" part that made me look at my home network and feel that I am not the only person out there whose spare rooms glows in the dark .....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=86237
    0,= ,-_-. =.
    ((_/)o o(\_))
    `' `-'(. .)`-'
    '''00\_/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Like most people here, I use windows just for gaming. When I made the shift to ubuntu I never thought that I would be able to give up software like MS office and photoshop and would keep coming back to windows for these apps apart from gaming. But open office and gimp did surprise me. I had this preconceived notion that open source software is not upto the mark, not well supported.. etc, all of which were proved so wrong very quickly. I am optimistic with respect to wine and hope to one day get full gaming support on linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i completely switched to Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

ive been using ubuntu on my main pc for a while now...probably almost a year...

i keep vista running on my laptop because i use visual studio alot for school projects.
    How do i do ______ in ubuntu?
    Find out here.

Page 391 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391392393401441491891 ... LastLast