Page 358 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358359360368408458858 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,580 of 10015

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

well i have ubuntu on my main pcs.. and windows on my spare pc but that was only for itunes with my ipod classic.

now that ubuntu supports the classic relatively well ill be formatting very soon. possibly try ubuntu server on the old pc and see how we go..

i do have xp running in a virtual box on the main system. thats mainly for the australian online tax software that is windows only.. and i don't want to risk my tax with wine.

so i would say im now non xp dependant...

but im not totally free.. transcoding all my movies and mp3 to free formats would be a chore and silly cos i have a propertry ipod. (hey, where else can you get 160 in a DAP for that price?)
    and i only have and nvidia card.. and i want my bling bling..

one day.
    ill be free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Well, I completely switched to Ubuntu

I still use virtualized WindowsXP for some minor tasks.

Beans

XP is simply my "Counter-Strike Operating System"

The second I'm done playing, I reboot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    I want to erase Windows but unfortunately, I'm still a gamer at heart.
    I've used nothing but linux for years. I use ubuntu now with xfce4 interface but I've used many distributions over the years. I've had hardware support issues in the past but my newest computer is fully supported by ubuntu except for an infuriating issue that I mention here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am an IT Manager for a group that is responsible for the Microsoft systems in a fortune 100 company. I have been in the IT field for 25 years. In that time I have touched and managed just about every OS that exist on the planet including VMS, Unix etc... However, I only use Linux for my home use however and could not be more pleased. I read posts that state how much they like the look of Linux or how much they hate the look of Linux. However, it really has nothing to do with the look..... The look and feel can be changed to the preference of the user's taste (case in point, I have a Mac4Lin Ubuntu laptop). I use exclusively Linux and have not touched MS at home for quite some time. In my opinion the reason that people should be interested in Linux is for the stability, security, and the lack of intelligence insulting, wizard utility, ridden based interfaces. MS concentrates on the Mass public and the fact that most people need a very simple works out of the box OS.No offense that works for them marketing wise. That approach however leaves with it the inheritance of a non-secure, instable system. So, if you select the OS based upon;

The look and feel? then don't that is modified easily to look any way you prefer.

Applications? Then don't, because there is typically an application out there that does what your MS based applications does but usually free. If not, then many of the MS apps will run in Cross-Over.

The reason to consider and switch to Linux is for the reasons that I stated above. If you are not a IT person or a wanna-be IT geek then MS may be the OS for you.

I challenge everyone to consider the operating system based upon the under the cover reasons and not select based upon the MS GUI interface vs. X-Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have an old XP laptop that I use for one purpose only and the day that I no longer neet to do so is the day Puppy Linux is going on it. For everything else I use Mac OS X or Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

I'd like to use BSD as well but I just don't have the right hardware. I know one thing, I will never buy a Windows OS again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Comhra,

Your post has me curious. What do you use XP for?

Beans
    Distro

xp destroyed itself on my box and the install cd has vanished, can't say that im too sad about it .
    Only using Ubuntu now. I'm missing some games, but i have not tried to get them running yet.
    I have had a few problems in Ubuntu but they are always an easier fix than in windows.

I definitely won't go back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sama_j View Post
    xp destroyed itself on my box and the install cd has vanished, can't say that im too sad about it .
    I definitely won't go back.

Page 358 of 1002 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358359360368408458858 ... LastLast