Page 104 of 986 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 9854

Thread: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Beans

Re: How many of you completely switched to Linux?

Still duel boot because I need Visual Studio for university and play games. I don't think I'll even more to Linux 100%, maybe one day though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Late last week I had enough of Mac OS X and installed Ubuntu (Dapper Drake Beta) on my iBook G4, wiping OS X off the drive. Within the last day I got my data moved off my HFS+ formatted external hard drive and am now moving it back on after formatting it to ext3. It's pretty safe to say I don't plan on going back to OS X soon. I got tired of not being able to run the software I wanted on OS X. For a Unix-based OS it sure had fewer useful open source applications ported to it natively than Windows, and it annoyed me that I had to use Microsoft Office and that the GIMP didn't run very well. Not to mention OS X just feels sluggish all the time, even despite the 1.25GB of RAM I have in this machine. All my hardware works, it's easy enough to use (about the same as OS X overall), and I'm happily running the software I want on it.

This is far from my first time with Linux or Unix-like operating systems, too. Since early 1999 I have played with or ran Minix, RedHat, Mandrake, Corel Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Gentoo, Fedora, and Debian at various times on various machines. Ubuntu on my iBook is my first experience with Linux on PPC hardware, all my other experiences were on x86.

Linux was not my first choice to install when I wanted to switch from OS X, though. I checked to see if FreeBSD had a port to PPC and it does not, and the port of NetBSD to PPC didn't have as good of hardware support as Linux. I prefer BSD overall but hardware support is more important than BSD vs. Linux given that they both mostly run the same software. Ubuntu seemed to be the best supported PPC distro and also the easiest to setup and use, although I first tried 5.10 and it didn't work all that well but the Dapper Drake Beta did luckily. Unless hardware support shrinks or something ends up seriously broken, I have no plans to revert to OS X.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Logged on at the moment using the work P4 using M$ and all the added Gates extras.
    Hate it, but then again there is no other email program out there that can compare to Outlook 2003 - and I use it extensively.
    After a tough day it is a relief to get back to my Ubuntu only home computer!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

oh i wish i could fully switch to ubuntu. yay playsforsure... yay naziism...

Beans

Ubuntu solely for 6 months now! With a little diligence, I've been able to get EVERYTHING that I need working at the same level as windows, or better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Been a linux-only-user since X-mas '04. =D>

[/self-congratulatory silliness]

RavenOfOdin Guest

Me, except I keep a XP dual boot on this comp for my Mom.

And atm I have to get the routing information settings from it because my SpeedStream just isn't working.

Beans

Im using 100% linux and emu things with wine when i need to like games and stuff. Im satisfied with everything, couple of things need work, but I bet everything will be good in due time. I got everything I had in windows and much more so I'm happy now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Just switched to 100 % Linux (Ubuntu). Run Fedora core 5 and Zenwalk for "education". Last booted Windows XP 2 weeks ago.

Ubuntu does everything and more then Windows. I personally do not game much, but if you want games why not something like X-box??? (just asking, I do not have an X-box either)

Linux has several advantages incluing security and networking/sharing of resources.

Still have my Windows partition, manly because I am too lazy to copy all teh files from Windows to Linux (can access the Windows drive from Linux, Just try to access a Linux DRIVE from windows).

Beans

I made the switch virtually cold turkey about 3 months ago. I have a dual boot system between ubuntu and win xp, but other than in the first 2 weeks to get around some things I was still getting configured in ubuntu, I haven't booted into xp even once. That might have been different, though, if I had needed to print or required sound during that time, both issues I am resolved to get straightened out in my ubuntu installation, ideally within the next week.

Page 104 of 986 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204604 ... LastLast