Quote Originally Posted by jedi453 View Post
Hi, Thanks for the great guide capink!

I was curious though would it be possible to use lzma compression for mksquashfs. I think it would be a great way to fit a little extra on a cd. I am not sure exactly how to rebuild the kernel with support for reading from an archive compressed with lzma. I would guess you would have to use the package "lzma-source", but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. I think it would be great to get working on many systems that are just barely too big for a CD. The closest I've come so far is finding the pre-built kernel from "http://www.squashfs-lzma.org/", however I've found hardware support to be insufficient for my system. Is there a way to get the hardware support of Ubuntu while getting the better compression ratios as well?

If that doesn't work, is there any other way to get a better compression ratio?

Thanks

I have not looked at lzma yet. But in debian lenny which I am currently using, there is lzma-modules-$(uname -r). So you might want to install the debian kernel in Ubuntu and see how it works. But I cannot guarntee it will work.

Note that you have to install the following packages from Debian repositories together:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-$(uname -r) squashfs-modules-$(uname -r) unionfs-modules-$(uname -r) lzma-modules-$(uname -r)
where $(uname -r) is the kernel version.

Or if you do not mind it, you can switch to Debian.