Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Apologies in advance if this has already been suggested; but could someone please advise me if this is in any way problematic.

Instead of letting debootstrap download the deb files to create the chroot environment I stopped it when it started downloading. As sudo I then copied all of the deb files from /var/cache/apt/archives into the the target's /var/cac...... and when I re-ran debootstrap it just unpackaged them.

Obviously this left a lot of useless files in the target's /var/cache/apt/archives; so I erased them all.

Beans

Hi!

I followed your instructions, but my live system doesn't wotk :\ It starts the boot process, but crashes at the initramfs... Here's the screenshot: http://kepfeltoltes.hu/080709/scrsht...toltes.hu_.jpg
    I write into the menu.lst the next 3 menu items:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-6-486 (by karika200)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent textonly rw
    initrd /boot/initrd.gz

title Memtest86+
    kernel /boot/memtest68+.bin

title Start the installed OS
    root (hd0)

Why can't it mount the rootfs?:\ It writes "No such device", but there is some loop device in /dev...

thx, karika200
    Last edited by karika200; July 9th, 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,

Thanks for the great guide. We want to make a livecd for our university linux user group and distribute them in our tutorials, seminars, etc.

I made quite a few changes to a fresh install like setting the sources.list, adding some introduction documents, some new packages etc.

Q1. I'm hoping that it will work with all the machines ubuntu normally works with.

Q2. Do I need to worry about the user that I'm creating it as? Meaning if someone installs a fresh copy will they be locked into the same username and password that I used?

Q3. Moreover, I'd love it if I could remaster ubuntu and still make it work with wubi. can someone point me to such a guide?

Thanks
    With Oden on our side, we are victorious.

Beans

Hi, Thanks for the great guide capink!

I was curious though would it be possible to use lzma compression for mksquashfs. I think it would be a great way to fit a little extra on a cd. I am not sure exactly how to rebuild the kernel with support for reading from an archive compressed with lzma. I would guess you would have to use the package "lzma-source", but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. I think it would be great to get working on many systems that are just barely too big for a CD. The closest I've come so far is finding the pre-built kernel from "http://www.squashfs-lzma.org/", however I've found hardware support to be insufficient for my system. Is there a way to get the hardware support of Ubuntu while getting the better compression ratios as well?

If that doesn't work, is there any other way to get a better compression ratio?

Thanks

Beans

karika200, Try burning the disk you made to a cd or dvd then boot from that. I've had the same problem trying to use an emulator to run the liveCD. If you've tried that or it doesn't work, try using this instead for your grub menu.lst:

Code:
    title		Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-6-486 (by karika200)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent textonly rw quiet
    initrd		/boot/initrd.gz

title		Memory Test
    kernel		/boot/memtest86+.bin

title		Start the installed OS
    root		(hd0)
    chainloader +1

prototype_angel, as long as you delete the files Capink suggests and use the step to create the empty gdm file, it should work. I made them from a password protected account before and have not seen any problems. If your worried about keeping files in your home account, copy them to "/etc/skel" before following this process. Only copy files you want readily accessable on the CD to /etc/skel/ , they will automatically be copied to /home/ubuntu when the cd boots. Be careful about this, because putting too much in /etc/skel will use a lot of ram.

Beans

Angus77, looks like you posted a while ago, but I think the problem you were having is that you have a 64-bit install on your desktop. The live cd's you make from it will only work on 64-bit machines. If you install a 32-bit version of Ubuntu alongside the 64-bit version (back up your stuff first) Then the 32-bit version should be able to make live-cds that can run on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors.

Beans

Ahh, I was dumb.. I thought the linux-image*.deb package contains the squashfs and the unionfs modules... Now, I have installed these packages, and it works fine.

thx ;]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jokermatt999 View Post
    Nice tutorial. How difficult is this to adapt to a different system? To be more specific, how difficult/different would it be for Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux?
    If these distros are based on Debian, all you have to do is to follow the instructions for making a live Cd in Debian. But you will end up with a live CD without installer. Also you have to make sure that repositories of the debian based distro contain the package live-initramfs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prototype_angel View Post
    Hi,

Q1. I'm hoping that it will work with all the machines ubuntu normally works with.
    It should.

Q2. Do I need to worry about the user that I'm creating it as? Meaning if someone installs a fresh copy will they be locked into the same username and password that I used?
    No, the installer will ask him for a new username and password.

Q3. Moreover, I'd love it if I could remaster ubuntu and still make it work with wubi. can someone point me to such a guide?
    Unfortunately, I don't have any experiece with wubi.

Beans

Hi.
    Really beautiful thread and how-to!
    I used to use remastersys, but the iso was incredibly slow when I used it as a live cd...
    I will try Your method, thanks

Herger

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast