Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Thanks for your reply, this is the output of the commands:

cat casper.log
    Begin: Running /scripts/casper-premount ...
    Done.
    Done.
    Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

ls /cdrom
    (nothing)

I've been trying with a FAT32 stick, after your comments I tried formatting it as ext3 but got same result.
    The limit is your imagination.
    Visit my blog, in English or Spanish .

Beans

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy the past few days. I have not been able to identify the cause of your problem. It is working fine for me.

Please if any one tried creating bootable ISO using this guide share your experiences with us.

Last thing, try the usb stick with other machines to see if it will work. Maybe the problem is that casper initrd does not contain the drivers for your specific usb controller.

Beans

One more thing. To be sure this is not a bug in casper, you can try using ubuntu's official ISO on your usb stick and see if it works. If it does not you can file a bug report to ubuntu devs.

Beans

I've got a question about post 284: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=284

Is it possible to make some tweaks in the GNOME desktop look? Like, start with a different wallpaper for example.

Thanks in advance, and a nice guide.

Beans

Please excuse my ignorance but I wanted to make sure this is going to do what I think it will.

I have Ubuntu 11.4 installed on my desktop, I have installed the apps I want, installed oracle, and have it up and running.

Will this process basically give me a DVD so if I got a new computer and put that DVD into it I would have an exact replica of my current desktop installed?

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maramyfriend View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but I wanted to make sure this is going to do what I think it will.

I have Ubuntu 11.4 installed on my desktop, I have installed the apps I want, installed oracle, and have it up and running.

Will this process basically give me a DVD so if I got a new computer and put that DVD into it I would have an exact replica of my current desktop installed?

Thanks
    If it all works correctly, it will create a new live DVD for you, just like the original Ubuntu 11.04 disc, but that disc will include the apps that you have installed, those you may have removed, including oracle installed, and etc. So yes, it should create an exact replica of your current desktop.

Speaking of that, why not just use Remastersys? It is a very small package that does all of that automatically for you. Unfortunately, it is a project that is no longer being developed. Fortunately, though, a fork of it, called Relinux, is in beta at the moment, and will ideally be a full replacement for it.

Anyway, Remastersys does full computer 'backups' (includes home folder) or 'distros' (no home folder) very easily. For 11.04, or Natty and earlier Ubuntu versions, you can still use Remastersys. I'll be sure to attach the last version of it that works for Ubuntu for you. Relinux, however, doesn't do a full computer 'backup' just yet, but that will soon be available.

Here is relinux:

http://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2011/1...f-your-system/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks Capink for such a nice tutorial.I have just made an Ubuntu 11.10 Live-cum-Install DVD with your tutorial.It contains almost all of my favourite software packages and having 3 GB in size.
    After partitioning and user naming process,when I click the last install option ,the installing box that runs Ubuntu demos decreased to a small sized box.This is the only problem that I had faced,while installing with this Live-dvd.Anyway it's only a minor issue for me and I think it may be a fault from my side also....Thanks agian capink......

See the booting screen of the DVD I have made from Capink's guide
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rajesh.kalapura; October 21st, 2011 at 06:41 PM.

Beans

Thank you for this tutorial which should be a wiki.
    I tried it and worked good. There were some issues when I tried it on virtual machine, but it said that it was my fault with nVidia drivers and some configuration.

So, I am going to reformat my system, update it, customize it and make a (insttallable) live cd out of it before doing anything stupid this time

Beans

Any chance to see an adaptation of this tutorial for other distributions?
    Maybe sabayon?

thx anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm a bit of an intermediate Linux user (slightly passed newbie) and I've followed the directions exactly like you have them, however I've noticed 3 things.

1. Upon creating the MD5 hash, I get a permission denied for vmlinuz, but the rest of the files are ok.

2. If I switch over to verbose mode (alt-F2) during boot, I see several Permission Denied messages during startup.

3. Once the live DVD has started, I'm immediately taken to my login screen. Neither my user name, nor password work when trying to log in. I even went as far as making a user named ubuntu with a security of 999. Still no joy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as at this point, I'd love to have a Live DVD of my current system (11.04) that is installable, however if I can't get past the login screen, seems a bit of a moot point.

Just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing that the MD5 Permission Denied error has something to do with this. Many thanks in advance.

Orion
    -- Orion
    ===============================================
    There are only 3 constants in the Universe...Life, Death, and the Unknown...
    ===============================================

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast