Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans

Unhappy Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Hi everybody!

I used this method and successfuly obtained a Live CD image that had all the packets that I had installed on my installation.

However, i would like the following as well:

- all that is related to gnome desktop to be saved ( so that the live distribution would have the same desktop, panel elements, etc.)
    - firefox plugins and bookmarks saved as well

I manually added .config, .bashrc and .mozilla ( all folders in /home/mihai/, where mihai is my username) to the rootfs/etc/skel but that doesn not do the trick.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

I have successfully created .iso's for Ubuntu distributions from Ubuntu 9.10 up to Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1. However, with the latest updates can successfully create .iso, but when trying to install arrive at a log in screen with only one option, that is Guest Session, not able to enter ubuntu, no password.

Have also found that with the latest updates can no longer log in to root using previous processes. Only able to log in with a password as "Computer User", or as Guest Session, no password.

Can provide a Clonezilla copy via my website if required.
    Last edited by User 04; January 29th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by msmihai View Post
    Hi everybody!

I used this method and successfuly obtained a Live CD image that had all the packets that I had installed on my installation.

However, i would like the following as well:

- all that is related to gnome desktop to be saved ( so that the live distribution would have the same desktop, panel elements, etc.)
    - firefox plugins and bookmarks saved as well

I manually added .config, .bashrc and .mozilla ( all folders in /home/mihai/, where mihai is my username) to the rootfs/etc/skel but that doesn not do the trick.

Any ideas?
    Can you mention what is and what is not being preserved?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kebabbaro View Post
    I have one little problem: after installing Ubuntu with the live media created using this procedure, I am not able to successfully login. System prompts me to insert password at login screen but any password won't work, even the password I just chose during the installation process, why is that?
    That sounds suspiciously like the problem I was originally having. The problem turned out to be that there was a user that should have been deleted from the shadow and password files that wasn't being deleted. Check to see that all users with user id's 998 and above are removed as per Capink's original tutorial http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...s+%26gt%3B+999

Beans

If you want to make Live CD/DVD then it is better to download Linux Install Disk. You can use this disk to boot your computer and repair computer from crashes. It contains both the kernel and the root file system.You can use this to boot your computer without hard drive. You can free download Linux Install Disk and can use free of cost.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acantonyclark1 View Post
    If you want to make Live CD/DVD then it is better to download Linux Install Disk. You can use this disk to boot your computer and repair computer from crashes. It contains both the kernel and the root file system.You can use this to boot your computer without hard drive. You can free download Linux Install Disk and can use free of cost.
    Ah, but the point here is the ability to make a CUSTOM live cd, containing the programs and potentially data that we choose.

Beans

I have successfuly built mi live CD from an installed Ubuntu Server 11.04.
    I use it to automaticaly remove a partition in the computer where the live cd is booted. I have writed mi script and everithing is working fine.... except:
    At boot, the live cd try to get an IP with dhcp, and produces a delay of 2 minutes in boot process. In my squash, /etc/network/interfaces has only lo configred, but in live cd, this file has entries for several interfaces. This network config file is not present in squash nor in inird.
    Where did this file come from?
    How can i avoid dhcp delay in boot. i dont need networking.

Thanks

Beans

Append the following to the boot options in grub.cfg:

Code:
    ip=frommedia

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by User 04 View Post
    I have successfully created .iso's for Ubuntu distributions from Ubuntu 9.10 up to Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1. However, with the latest updates can successfully create .iso, but when trying to install arrive at a log in screen with only one option, that is Guest Session, not able to enter ubuntu, no password.

Have also found that with the latest updates can no longer log in to root using previous processes. Only able to log in with a password as "Computer User", or as Guest Session, no password.

Finally got time to look at this issue.

Access terminal,

sudo -i

gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

add line,

greeter-show-manual-login=true

and this line if not already there,

user-session=ubuntu

mine now looks like this,

[SeatDefaults]
    autologin-guest=false
    autologin-user=user
    autologin-user-timeout=0
    autologin-session=lightdm-autologin
    user-session=ubuntu
    greeter-session=unity-greeter
    greeter-show-manual-login=true

Reboot and Bob's UR Uncle, although theses days he is prob UR trannie Aunt.
    Last edited by User 04; May 13th, 2012 at 01:53 AM.

Beans

I just keep getting " invalid option -- '/'" Sorry about the stupid question but what am I missing?

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast