Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Beans

Re: How to make a live CD/DVD from your harddisk installation

Quote Originally Posted by capink View Post
    Unfortunately I have been busy lately with not much time to improve the guide.
    capink - I sure know what you are talking about concerning time. I've been there and have done that. A full plate.

I am going to keep plugging away at this and see what I can discover. I'll surely let you know if I find anything pertinent.

There is one thing that keeps running across my mind when I run through the routine. It involves the mounting and unmounting of /rootfs/proc, sys, and dev. I note there's only code for mounting dev and proc. Then it jumps right into chroot. There's no sys mount. Here's the code in that section:

Code:
    sudo mount -o bind /dev/ ${WORK}/rootfs/dev
    sudo mount -t proc proc ${WORK}/rootfs/proc

sudo chroot ${WORK}/rootfs /bin/bash
    When unmounting the code is:

Code:
    sudo umount ${WORK}/rootfs/proc
    sudo umount ${WORK}/rootfs/sys
    sudo umount ${WORK}/rootfs/dev
    When doing umount for /rootfs/sys I always encounter a not mounted message.

I really don't know if this is meaningful but it makes me wonder why there's a umount line for /rootfs/sys but no sort of mount line. I'd try to mount sys but I have no idea what the correct syntex would be.

That's about the only glaring discripency I have seen so far and I don't even know if it is actually a discripency. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Trapper

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post

That's about the only glaring discripency I have seen so far and I don't even know if it is actually a discripency. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Trapper
    You are right. I added the missing command to guide. Thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by capink View Post
    You are right. I added the missing command to guide. Thank you.
    I did a fresh install of U904-32. Cups was accessible and printer was available. I ran your routine with the correction. I burned the resulting iso to disk, booted it up and installed to a new partition from the gui. Everything was exactly as it should be in the new install except that cups was not accessible and consequently there was no printer support.

I then installed remastersys and created an iso using it, burned it to disk and installed to a new partition. It was exactly as it should be, cups was accessible and my printer was there.

I do note that I can burn the iso created with remastersys to a usb flash drive using the USB Startup Disk Creator in System/Administration. It refuses to burn the iso created with your routine though. The message is: "This is not a desktop install CD and thus cannot be used by this application."

Trapper
    Last edited by Trapper; July 23rd, 2009 at 03:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I noticed, when working with Remastersys, there are created three folders in the root of the live-cd: casper, isolinux and preseed. In this guide, there's only a casper and a boot folder.

As I'm trying to put the live-cd splashes (splash.pcx and splash.png) on the cd, I guess it would be possible with remastersys, (because the isolinux folder which should contain the splashes exists on the resulting iso, so I guess adding the splashes there after running remastersys distcdfs could do the trick) but not with this guide. (as there's no isolinux folder created)

Am I right, and if so, why doesn't this guide create an isolinux folder while remastersys does? Is there a logical explanation for this?

Thanks for your answer(s).

Beans

Hi,

Are these steps applicable to Ubuntu 9.04 installation?

Dimple.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dimple148 View Post
    Hi,

Are these steps applicable to Ubuntu 9.04 installation?

Dimple.
    Yes.

My question:

sudo mkisofs -b /boot/grub/stage2_eltorito \
    -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
    -V "Custom Live CD" -cache-inodes -r -J -l \
    -o ~/live-cd.iso $CD

I get this ->

mkisofs -b /boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -V "Custom Live CD" -cache-inodes -r -J -l -o ~/live-cd.iso $CD
    I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
    genisoimage: Missing pathspec.
    Usage: genisoimage [options] -o file directory ...

Use genisoimage -help
    to get a list of valid options.

Report problems to debburn-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org.

Tbh, there is an iso file but when I run it with qemu, it cannot boot.
    What does this command do? (mkisofs -b /boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -V "Custom Live CD" -cache-inodes -r -J -l -o ~/live-cd.iso $CD)
    Last edited by Αντώνης; September 21st, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Beans

I've just found out that it is possible to make Casper to not autologin. In the file "/etc/casper.conf", just delete the login names:

Code:
    export USERNAME=""
    export USERFULLNAME=""
    Then in chroot mode, create the user you like. Set the password and also create the home directory. After boot, it will ask for username and password.

Done!

Best regards,
    /Mill
    Last edited by Milleman; October 1st, 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Beans

If I chose the "Persistent" option from the grub boot menu, the booting will be delayed and the following errors will be displayed about 6 times before the booting continues:

"I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0"

Is there a way to get rid of this?

Best regards,
    Milleman

Solved!
    The FD was absent but selected in BIOS. Just deselected the FD in BIOS and then the problem was gone!
    Last edited by Milleman; October 1st, 2009 at 11:09 PM.

Thanks for a nice tutorial.

Beans

Hi,
    does anyone have pactice on building live system with X from Karmic? These steps are grat on Jaunty, but building a Karmic system fails for me. The problem is somewhere around xorg, hal and udev. These pachages does not like to be installed in a chroot-ed environment... Can you help me how to install them, please?

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast