Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introductions and Meetups...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Introductions and Meetups...

Hi there. I just signed up on the mailing list on the wiki.

My name is Broderick. I'm 25. I grew in Manchester, and went to school in New York for performance art and philosophy. I traveled for a couple years and now I've settled back in Manchester with my girlfriend Melanie.

I'm not a computer guy by education or profession; I always focused on the fine arts (not that those are mutually exclusive or anything).
    I've always loved computers though and have been fascinated by code as a creative medium.
    I jumped on Linux train just recently, in October 2007. I'd been curious about Linux for years, but had been so transient for so long I often didn't even own my own computer.
    Now that I'm settled I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 on my Dell laptop and I keep playing around with various other distros on an old pentium ii I hide off in a corner of our apartment.

I love the open source movement on both a practical and political level. Linux has completely stolen my heart. I keep skeeming ways to try to get my father to move his entire company to Linux.

Learning about Linux and now teaching myself some programming has presented a fun new challenge for me. I get bored when I'm not learning new skill sets and this is the latest. It's been both fun and empowering.
    As far as choosing Ubuntu goes, I chose it as my first distro because of the amazing community support. It has been invaluable.

I may be lacking in some of the tech knowledge others here may have but I'm no slouch with computers and a I am a fast and eager learner.

Outside of Linux, I love to cook. I'm also a book junky and a film nerd. I'm huge music collector going back to my childhood. Sometimes I'm involved in local theater, but not so much these days. I also play a couple instruments and like to write silly music with my friends.
    I enjoy a drink at the Rover on occasion.

I know it's lame but if you'd care to know more I do have a Facebook profile (just search my name), or feel free to email me anytime. I'll check out the IRC channel sometime soon.

I'm looking forward to a LoCo meeting anytime. I hope we can all meet and have a great Ubuntu time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hello - a couple of us have been in the team IRC channel discussing the idea of hosting a 8.04 Ubuntu Release Party. We were thinking Saturday May 10th would be a good day and also Manchester would be a central NH location.

We're still brainstorming on the type of event - eating or activity - and on the location for the event. Also wondering how many people can commit to that day. (Yes, everyone would like to come, everyone is busy, but do we have a couple people who can commit to being present?)

Check out the freenode chat or post your thoughts here. Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Join your a Local Linux User Group or an Ubuntu Local Community Team...
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.
    Support companies that support Ubuntu and Linux solutions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'll keep that weekend free; I've got nothing planned right now. I'm not sure what kind or location or itinerary works best but if I get any ideas I'll post back. In the mean time though, count on me keeping my schedule clear for that date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Everyone get an account on Launchpad and apply to our LoCo Team. That team list is used for our mailing list, too.

Also, consider signing the Ubuntu code of conduct (CoC), for your Ubuntero status.
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello everyone,

My name is Evan, I currently live in Dover and go to UNH. I haven't really adopted Ubuntu for a desktop but have been using 6.06 server edition for awhile now running all kinds of things like jetty, james, and openfire. I don't have much experience with X, but I certainly enjoy the server edition.

I hope to have the opportunity to get to know all of you and maybe one of you can convince me to switch my desktop over

-Evan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great to see you out to celebrate the release of version 8.04, on Elm Street. Fantastic to meet some interesting people who are also interested in promoting Ubuntu. Let's keep this enthusiasm going and lose track of proposed projects. I know I personally am looking to follow-up on several items.

We have scheduled a meet-up, on the second weekend of June. A potential discussion topics might include Software Freedom Day in September, and getting everyone registered as an Ubuntero within Launchpad. Are there people planning to attend the big Fedora FUDCon in Boston? If so, we might strategize on a team event there.

I hope everyone is happy with the direction of our new LoCo. We have established that there are several people willing to come out and attend events to promote Ubuntu, which is a big leap forward from a group who only meets online. Keep thinking about ways to promote Ubuntu in the community - remember, you do not need the group's permission to start on projects or coordinate with other members. The group is here to help you access resources and people, so let us know how we can help. Take the lead on a personal project, even if you think it might be a duplication of someone else's work. Hope we all have new exciting stories to share, soon.

Matthew

P.S. You may be interested in these stories which I have been reading today:

Mark Shuttleworth describing the effectiveness of the Ubuntu release cycle:
    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/date/2008/05

"commercial companies are realizing that the term 'open source' can be co-opted to some degree, and are starting to confuse us with software that is mostly, but not completely open source" ((... or why the license (and not the marketing hype) is important))
    http://ostatic.com/161583-blog/read-...ource-software
    Last edited by matthewcraig; May 29th, 2008 at 05:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The next Ubuntu Local Community Team meeting is scheduled for Saturday the 14th, at 4 o'clock. Send a private forum message to any team member listed above, if you plan to attend and have not already received the meeting agenda and location details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This last meeting had real terrific energy, when members discussed their on-going projects and identified resources for achieving their goals. Best of luck, and remember to use the resources of the team, in your projects. For those reading who are not active in organizing these events, then stay tuned for the Ubuntu NH events happening in your area.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hello,

I am a new member applicant to the Loco New Hampshire group. I live in Southern New Hampshire, just below Manchester. I moved to New Hampshire in the summer of 2006. I am originally a mid-westerner, but enjoy living in the Northeast very much.

I have been using GNU/Linux since 2000 and began my Ubuntu experience with Breezy. I stay up-to-date with Ubuntu releases. Hardy is what I use currently. I joined the Ubuntu forums in October of 2004. Although I have contributed a limited number of forum threads and posts, I have used the Ubuntu forums to seek help and provide help to others.

I have promoted the use of GNU/Linux and/or Ubuntu to others within my family and friends. My wife uses Ubuntu (Dapper) and kids use Xubuntu (Feisty). My mom and dad have a System76 Darter laptop running Ubuntu Gutsy. A friend of mine (non-techie) purchased a Dell Ubuntu Feisty system after being introduced to Beryl.

In addition to desktop systems, I currently run a Mythbuntu (Gutsy) system. I have built two Mythbuntu systems for friends of mine, which has been a great way to introduce GNU/Linux to non-linux people. I also have an Axentra homeserver running GNU/Linux (unknown distribution) that serves many functions (firewall, email, webserver, file server etc.).

I joined this loco group in the hopes of promoting Ubuntu to people within New Hampshire. Activities include, but not limited to, exchanging of ideas and working a couple times a year in projects that promot Ubuntu.

Al (a.k.a. DrH)
    Long time ubuntu family user. Current Desktop System: AMD, 16Gb RAM, 1.2 TB Storage, Xubuntu 18.04, AMD Ryzen 1600, AMD RX 580 8 Gb. Current Laptop System: Lenovo x220 with Bodhi Linux. Current HTPC System: LinHES

Beans

Welcome, Alan

If you've not done so already, make sure to join our team's mailing list. You can also find us on IRC. As you may have noticed, the forums are not used very frequently.

You just missed our last monthly meeting (Saturday), I don't know if we're having one next month due to Software Freedom Day but we'll certainly get together sometime in September.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast