• Young

140 8.82%
  • None of your business

28 1.76%
  • Get off my lawn.

108 6.81%
Page 251 of 358 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301351 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 3575

Thread: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: What is your age and what do you use ubuntu for?

I'm 16 and use ubuntu for one of my servers. Have been playing with ubuntu for a long time but it wasn't until recently i decided to install ubuntu server (been using virtualbox)
    I also have ubuntu 9.10 as a secondary OS on my laptop along with windows 7, openSUSE and debian. I will probably do a full ubuntu install when i am done with school in some months.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am 77 tears old, (will be 78 this month), a retired Air Force Non Commissioned Officer, 20 years of service, a Vietnam and Korean vet. Also a retired computer programmer, 30 years + of COBOL and other COBOL type languages, all on IBM, VAX and PC type machines.
    I use linux(ubuntu 9.10) for programming, and for e-mail, keeping in touch with fam & friends, etc, to keep up with the news (as the olympics in Vancouvr BC). I am also using ubuntu to learn other languages, those having to do with the Linux/Unix systems, as C, C++, Java, Python and others. Now studying Java. (Already through C and C++). C does not do enough for me, C++ is better, but Java, I think, will fit my desires/needs. I do not believe in going from 1 program to another to accomplish a job. Like I said, I am a COBOL programmer, do everything within 1 program.
    I am also a Buddhist and have written a couple of books on Buddhism, though neither of them are in print any longer. Have to re-do that.
    I am an American, from the state of Missouri, a farm boy, and am living in Thailand as it is much easier to live here on my retirment income than anyplace in the U.S. Probably will go back home in a couple of years.
    (Old and sometimes a little long winded). Well, you asked me.

Take care, your friend (hopefully), Len Tyree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm 28 - I use Ubuntu (mint actually) just for typical stuff. Web, email, college classes. Some light games, like World of Goo. I've been screwing around with it almost everyday for a few years now. Not a day goes by that my Linux Kung Fu does not become stronger! The power of Linux compels you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm 40. I just recently installed Ubuntu on my Vista PC after becoming frustrated with all the problems with Windows, while waiting for my System76 Ubuntu laptop to ship.

I use Ubuntu mostly to surf the web right now, but hopefully if I can get all my peripheral devices installed and working on Ubuntu, I'll be able to do most if not all the stuff from Ubuntu instead of Windows. Some of the stuff I still need to test out on Ubuntu (printing/scanning, listening/syncing music iPod, finding a good home finance program to replace Quicken, watching DVD).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm 35 and my wife too. After an unsuccessfull attempt to switch to Linux (from Windows of course) a year ago, we gave the Pinguin another try in this January. With much more success. I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 on my year-old Compaq laptop (all the issues I had were solved by simple browsing this forum), she's using Ubuntu 9.4 on a 5 years old Asus laptop (9.10 was freezing on bootup so we just rolled back to 9.04 which is working OK).

Funny, but the main reason to change OS was my greediness: I didn't want to renew my antivirus subscription)))))

However, for both browsing/chatting/mailing and "common office works" Ubuntu seems to be more than enough.

Once I find software for working with Nokia phones, all my company's office will be switched to Linux (probably the same Ubuntu distribution, but not nesessarily) as well.

Beans

25,using it for MD simulation, calculation that kind of thing

Beans

13, turning 14 on the 20th. I use Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distros because I run them in a VM on my windows 7 gaming rig. I have never gotten VBox guest additions to work correctly on anything but ubuntu, its derivatives, and fedora. I dont use fedora because constantly beta-testing for RHEL is not my thing.

On my dedicated linux box (#1) I run arch, on #2 I run Gentoo, and on #3 I run TinyCore. I use linux because I believe in free software and I have a lot of time on my hands that I like to use working on/with computers. This includes Python and C programming, OOo, LaTeX, and tinkering with the network 24/7.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'll be 53 in April, I use Ubuntu to surf, check email, gimp, download
    music/youtube vids, learning programming and playing games. I think the
    compilers like g++ are great! Easy to use and fun to learn with. And
    shell scripts are too cool. I would be hard pressed to think of a time
    that I booted into Ubuntu/Linux and didn't open a terminal. Most of the
    time that's the first thing on my list. Just didn't do things like that
    on Windus.. just point and click.

I really like the eye candy, it's nice to be able to change/customize
    the look and feel of the desktop. And to recompile the kernel to change/
    customize the OS? Just can't do that with Windus...
    I've only made one attempt at recompiling a kernel and I bombed out, but
    hey.. that's part of learning.

The more I mess with the things that I like about Ubuntu/Linux, the more
    things I find that I like! And the more I learn about computing and my
    self as well.

This is a great forum! Thanks for being here!
    #!/bin/bash, don't leave /home without it!
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it!!!!!!!!! It will remove (rm) all the files on your hard drive!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

19. I use Linux for a file server. I got the rest of my family to use it for everything that we used Windows for. [For emails, surfing, and gaming I still use a DSi, but plan to get an Archos 5 Internet Tablet]
    I like Linux because I like to learn and help others. Go Forums!
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans

43. Everything except AutoCAD

Page 251 of 358 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301351 ... LastLast