Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Start VirtualBox Fullscreen on boot in workspace 2

Beans

[SOLVED] Start VirtualBox Fullscreen on boot in workspace 2

I want to be able to start VirtualBox in full screen mode from Boot but on a second Workspace if possible.

I think I can use:

Code:
    VBoxSDL -vm "Windows XP" -fullscreen
    to get it going and I can put this into:

Code:
    System>Sessions>Start Up Programs
    to get it to start on Boot, but how can I tell it which Workspace to start on.

I would like, in the end, to have the computer Boot and be able to access my programs on XP or Ubuntu just by rotating my Compiz Screen

I have tried the Seamless option but do not really like it and am happy to keep the two systems seperate (won't confuse my wife as much either!)

Beans

Re: Start VirtualBox Fullscreen on boot in workspace 2

Look at this program http://live.gnome.org/DevilsPie
    Introduction: A totally crack-ridden program for freaks and weirdos who want precise control over what windows do when they appear. If you want all XChat windows to be on desktop 3, in the lower-left, at 40% transparency, you can do it.

Beans

That looks perfect!

Thanks

Beans

That works great - The only thing I want to be able to do now is allow Compiz to have control over Virtualbox.

That is I want to have Virtualbox running fullscreen but when I press Ctrl Alt Left or Mouse 1, I want the cube to appear and allow me to switch workspace.

Unfortunately can't find a setting that allows it....

Beans

Well thats because virtual box takes these shortcuts to the windows. Can you move the mouse somewhere that it outside of windows. I personally use vmware and for "Ctrl + Alt + Left arrow" I use the space shown on the picture...
    In other words move your mouse over linux ground so the shortcuts are send to linux
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I was hoping to find a way to stop VirtualBox taking the shortcuts as I run it in Fullscreen mode so there is no Linux Space.

I did find a bit of a workaround - either to allow the mouse to flip the screen (but I don't like this much). Or press Right Ctrl then Ctrl Alt and left or right so as to put the focus back to Ubuntu and then rotate the box.

Beans

I'm not shure about virtualbox but when you move the mouse of the right part of the screen aren't you over "linux ground" ? Why don't you try it: move the mouse to the right part of your screen so you can't see it and then Ctrl+Alt+left arrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Can you tell me how you got Devils Pie to work with VirtualBox? I tried several different .ds files, and couldn't get the window to move to a new workspace.

Beans

I did not use Devils Pie in the end. I used a setting in Compiz that sends the program to a specific screen. Unfortunatly I am at work now and can't remember what setting it was! I will check when I get home.

Just remembered - it was the Place Windows plugin. I set VirtualBox to run at startup and for it to open on desktop 3 of my cube.
    Last edited by Twizzle; February 21st, 2008 at 04:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Cool. When you get a chance, I would really love to know what setting was used. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast