Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] New kubuntuforums?

Knome_fan Guest

[SOLVED] New kubuntuforums?

Last edited by KingBahamut; September 23rd, 2005 at 09:01 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New kubuntuforums?

I'm not worried so much about the fragmentation of the community as I am about the waste of resources. I'd say a good many tutorials and HowTos here apply to both Kubuntu and Ubuntu. Usually, the only difference is having to type sudo kwrite instead of sudo gedit.

Beans

What about kubuntuforum.net?

I've just been on the Kubuntu site and their forum button now directs to their new forum www.kubuntuforums.net/.
    In my opinion it's no good to separate what is more or less the same. I think our distro (both Ubuntu and Kubuntu) should still be using the same forum as many Ubuntu users can answer my qustions about most of the system whenever I have one and sometimes I can help a fellow Ubuntu guy in need. I've learned to love this community and it's one of the big reasons I left Fedora some months ago.

What do you all think about this separation of Ubuntu and Kubuntu, I would like to hear what you all think??? /// Freddan
    Try the beautiful Enlightenment17 distro OzOS. | Easy way to install Enlightenment17 from CVS.
    Thanks Rui Pai for all you work intergrating this beautiful Desktop Shell with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think fragmentation would be a bad idea, but I'm obvious biased .
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"

Beans

I don't think any fragmentaion will happen, at least not any time soon, Ubuntu forums has a large index of threads regarding KDE issues, so if you wan't to a solution for a problem it is to the Ubuntu forums you go. Also the userbase for the Gnomebased version of this distro is so much larger and mostly they can answer you quetsions as well as KDE users. I think aysio said it perfect, just a waste of resources. At least I'm not going anywhere.

This is my home and that is as it should be. /// Freddan
    Try the beautiful Enlightenment17 distro OzOS. | Easy way to install Enlightenment17 from CVS.
    Thanks Rui Pai for all you work intergrating this beautiful Desktop Shell with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Only one question: Why?

Beans
    Hidden!

I will have a very hard time redirecting some KDE user to a forum I'm not even sure "works". I wonder what was the reason behind the creation of it. Sure, most of us here are GNOME users, but it's not like we don't help the KDE fans out there in every way we can. Just like aysiu and others said, a lot of howtos, tricks (et al) work on both environments. If they don't like the brown themeing here and feel excluded I guess they'll just have to duplicate every single Ubuntu site out there, the Wiki included.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

Why? I guess someone would have to ask them!

This is similar to cairo vs GDK. Why write another rendering library instead of improving the existing one? Why Udev and not fix DevFS? Why make a supermount patch and not just fix improve automount? How many different implementations of the boot splash have their been in the past five (ten?) years?

Because you can.

Obviously, there is no easy solution. To some it is choice. To others it is fragmentation. This is the good and the bad and having choice.

Launchpad is working on better integration with the forums. Personally, I think Launchpad should make their framework to access to wiki work accross a number of forums. That is, ti any forum who wants to sign up. That way, nothing is lost in fragmentation.

The ubuntuforums are well-established, though, so I think people will always come here, first. It is like a snowball, you know.
    I lost a "z". Anyone seen it around here?

Beans

This is similar to cairo vs GDK. Why write another rendering library instead of improving the existing one? Why Udev and not fix DevFS? Why make a supermount patch and not just fix improve automount? How many different implementations of the boot splash have their been in the past five (ten?) years?
    Of course you're right, there's alot of discussions about that sort of things, even real flamewars sometimes . The thing here I think is that this can divide us as a community plus I already have a hard time keeping up with the discussions and flamewars here. I don't need another place to okey I'm selfish and it's time for me to visit the corner and shame my **** of /// Freddan
    Last edited by Freddy; September 24th, 2005 at 01:22 PM.

Beans

I think Kubuntu forums and guides are a great thing. I tried Kubuntu and many of the specific issues to that release were just not covered in the Ubuntu forums. Also getting help from people who are only familliar with the gnome format can sometimes be a little difficult. It boils down to giving Kubuntu users better support, not the fragmentation of the community. I believe that issue can be resolved anyhow by posting both forums on the kubuntu and Ubuntu pages.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast