Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Brother HL-2070N network install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

HOWTO: Brother HL-2070N network install

I bought this printer to share on the network, and decided I would try to get it installed first on Linux. It took a little figuring out but here's what I got.

1. Unpack, install drum, plug in, turn on. Print test page. Turn off, hook up to network, turn on.

2. Go to your Router's admin web page (usually 192.168.0.1) and look at attached devices. What you are looking for is the DHCP address of the printer. Reserve that address for that printer. This keeps the printer from moving around if that DHCP address is reassigned while the printer is turned off. Remember this IP.

3. In your favorite web browser, go to the web address for the printer (in my case, http://192.168.0.4). Change the passwords. At first it seems that you need the password to change the password. However when you fail to log in you'll get a help screen explaining the default usernames and passwords.

4. Download brhl2070nlpr_1.1.2-3_i386.deb from http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...r_drivers.html

5. Download cupswrapperhl2070n_1.0.0-1_i386.deb from http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...s_drivers.html

6. Run:
    sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cupsys /etc/init.d/cups
    sudo dpkg -i brhl2070nlpr_1.1.2-3_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i cupswrapperhl2070n_1.0.0-1_i386.deb

7. Bring up CUPS setup (In KDE this is CC->Peripherals->Printers, Admin Mode). Delete annoying USB printer entry.

8. Add network printer, using the IP address you remembered from step 2. For example:

Code:
    socket://192.168.0.102:9100
    or maybe
    Code:
    socket://192.168.0.102
    9. Print test page, enjoy your new networked printer, set up without help from any other OS.

8 Feb 2010 Note- Thanks for everyone's comments. I tried the 2060 driver and had problems with it, then and now, thus this how-to.
    Last edited by hangfire; February 11th, 2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Kubuntu 9.10 notes

Beans
    Distro

Re: HOWTO: Brother HL-2070N network install

Some have asked questions off-line, I'll try to summarize the answers here.

Why didn't I just scan for the printer on my LAN as part of the install process?

I did. The problem is, the new printer, even though it gets an IP addr from DHCP, doesn't respond yet to queries on port 9100. The printer arrives in some kind of Demo mode, where you can hit the Go button and it prints a splash page. In this Demo mode, the printer doesn't respond to port 9100 (yet).

The ******* drivers do an SNMP broadcast, looking for Brother printers amongst the replies. My procedure allows you to set up and get the printer to print that important first page, resetting the Demo mode. After that, new Linux driver installs will auto-detect the printer.

So, if you've already set up the printer under either ******* or Linux, it will autodetect on a scan, but besides, you probably already know its IP anyway.

Why do I have to install Brother's propriety drivers? Can't I just copy the .PPD file from the CDROM and use either the HL or PCL6 Open Source driver?

Yes, you can do it that way.

What are the Gnome setup steps for Step 7 & 8?

7. Bring up the printing folder (System -> Administration -> Printing). Delete annoying USB printer entry.

8. Configure HL2070N by right clicking and choose "settings" and then select "connection" . Choose cups and type in your IP address from step 2.

Thanks to _kresten for Gnome help.

Why reserve (lock) the IP address of the printer in step 2? Shouldn't you do that in the printer's Web setup, setting it to static?

The ******* drivers find the printer via SNMP each bootup, so if it changes its IP address it is still found. CUPS expects it to stay at that IP address. This is best done in the router/DHCP Server. Setting it to static in the printer may guarantee it always comes up on that address, but it doesn't guarantee that the DHCP Server won't also give that address to another device, creating a conflict.

HF
    Last edited by hangfire; December 1st, 2005 at 09:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Post Re: HOWTO: Brother HL-2070N network install

Nice howto!

What are the Gnome setup steps for Step 6?

I don't know, perhaps a Gnome user can fill us in.
    I suppose that you mean Step 7? If so, I can tell you what to do in Gnome. I have a danish Ubuntu, so it'll be my translation...

7. Bring up the printing folder (System -> Administration -> Printing). Delete annoying USB printer entry

8. Configure HL2070N by right clicking and choose "settings" and then the pane "connection" (my translation from danish). Choose cups and type in your IP address from step 2.

Thanks again for the "how to".

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, Kresten. I incorporated your notes and correction into post #2 in this thread. Glad to know you like the HOWTO.

HF

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Brother HL-2070N network install

I've followed all of the steps and I still can not print. I've gotten to the point where you select the printer and I send the test page to the printer. At that point the job just stays cued and does not print. I am a brand new UBUNTU/Linux user but I've been messing with computers since MSDOS. I'm running the latest distrubution of Ubuntu on a Toshiba Laptop (3.06 HT, 1GB RAM and 802.11G) and everything else works fine (Even the WIFI!). The Hl-2070N is plugged directly into the Belken 802.11 G router and the other two computers print to it okay (running WinXP).

I'm not sure if I entered the IP address correctly. From the Desktop, (Gnome?) I went to System/Administration/Printing and I now have the HL-2070N-for-CUPS visable in the printers folder and it shows that it is Ready.

For the location, I just entered 192.168.2.2, do I have to enter it as http:/192.168.2.2 or some other format?

Thanks In Advance
    Last edited by todomartinez; December 1st, 2005 at 11:37 PM.

Beans

I've got the same problem as todomartinez. This guide is great as I could not find anywhere how to install the drivers properly. I have a Brother MFC-3820CN, and I have now installed the drivers. I add a new network printer and put in its IP address (192.168.0.11), and am able to now select the right driver. However, it just doesn't print.

Can anyone help?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi there. I'm a new Ubuntu user, too. Just have to say that I've been using Linux on servers for over 10 years, and this is the first time that I installed it on my notebook, and I absolutely love it.

I followed the directions and got my HL2070N to print just fine. For the IP address, type in:

ipp://192.168.1.100

(or whatever your IP of your printer is)

Beans

I've been trying to install a networked Brother HL1870N that I 've been using for years with Windows. The instructions were a little incomplete (for me), as far as the path to the file. Yelp 2.12.1 gives a good tip:

> To drag a file name into a terminal window:
    >
    > You can drag a file name to a terminal from another application such as a
    > file manager. The terminal displays the path and the full name of the file.

So I drag the file path/name after prompt: ~$ sudo dpkg -i
    Then when I run the command, I get:

> dpkg: error processing hl1870nlpr (--install):
    > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
    > Errors were encountered while processing:
    > hl1870nlpr

any tips?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

If anyone has a PPC (Mac), you might want to try Jeecool's tip at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...ighlight=2070n

(Install the 2060 driver that comes out of the box)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is how I installed my Brother HL-2070N under Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft:

1. Unpack, install drum, plug in, turn on. Print test page by pressing Go button. Turn off, hook up to network, turn on.
    2. Press Go button three times to produce Print Settings pages.
    3. Go to System > Administration > Printing.
    4. Double-click New Printer.
    5. Select Network Printer as Printer Type, then choose UNIX Printer (LPD) from the menu.
    6. For Host, enter the IP Address from page 3 of the Print Settings that you printed above. It will look similar to 192.168.2.104.
    7. For Queue, enter the Node Name from page 3 of the Print Settings. It will look similar to BRN_8A20A6. Click Forward.
    8. Select Brother as the Manufacturer and HL-2060 as the Model. Leave the Driver alone. Click Forward.
    9. Put whatever you like for the Name, Description, and Location. Click Apply.
    10. Find the printer you just added in the Printers window, right-click it, and select Properties.
    11. Verify the settings in the General, Paper, and Advanced tabs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast