Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Registry Editor

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Linux Registry Editor

I don't know if this exists, but it would be REALLY useful if it did.

Last night, my wife booted into Windows on my PC. She usually does it to play one game that won't run on her PC. Anyway, I don't know what she did, but I got infected with a really nasty piece of malware. So, I'm currently in Linux cleaning it out

Anyway, I'll probably end up back in Windows to manually fix the registry. It would make things REALLY easy if there was a Windows Registry Editor for Linux. Does such a thing exist?
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Linux Registry Editor

I wonder if you could run regedit with wine. I know wine has its own regedit, so maybe you could run the Windows one with it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Did you make any restore points? They are just backups of the registry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, finally got the bloody thing removed. What a pain. In case you're wondering, it was storageprotector.com. I couldn't even run HiJackThis.

After seeing the infections, it looks like my wife was using IE, even though I have Opera installed. Perhaps I should install Firefox for her to use (which she likes). Might save me a headache or two in the future.

Just another reason for my slow migration to Linux. Unfortunately, I was getting that damn Gnome error again that I've been having problems with, so that's why I booted into Windows. Even though both OSes have their faults, it's Windows that costs me more time, not Linux.

And I may just try running regedit in Wine
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo Pony View Post
    Perhaps I should install Firefox for her to use (which she likes).
    Good idea, if you install the Firefox IETab add-on you can run Windows Update through it, so you can totally remove Internet Explorer altogether.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Good idea, if you install the Firefox IETab add-on you can run Windows Update through it, so you can totally remove Internet Explorer altogether.
    Not so sure you can remove IE entirely as it is used in many other applications including Firefox IE Tab

Beans

Just another reason for my slow migration to Linux. Unfortunately, I was getting that damn Gnome error again that I've been having problems with, so that's why I booted into Windows. Even though both OSes have their faults, it's Windows that costs me more time, not Linux.

And I may just try running regedit in Wine
    I have been running Linux since SUSE 6 and have never had a trouble free X system.
    Until I started running Openbox.

The Windows registry is in windows/system32/config
    Windows opens it exclusively so you can't copy it while windows is running.

I believe it may be possible to edit it in Wine by copying it over Wine's registry but if the registry is corrupt it won't work anyway.

You are better to copy a non corrupt hive file e.g. software.sav
    like this

I run XP in VirtualBox so I set my XP VM to boot from a Ubuntu ISO. This gives me a Ubuntu VM with an XP hard disk.
    I boot the XP machine with a Ubuntu CD and copy the hive files from the Ubuntu / XP VM via the network.

It does work but some, many or all of your Windows settings will be screwed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just tried running RegEdit with Wine. By default it loads up the Wine Registry. I'm guessing it's possible to import the real Windows registry, but I don't know where Windows stores it.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Just tried running RegEdit with Wine. By default it loads up the Wine Registry. I'm guessing it's possible to import the real Windows registry, but I don't know where Windows stores it.
    Did you use the wine version of regedit, or did you actually navigate to regedit.exe on your Windows partition and run it with wine?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Did you use the wine version of regedit, or did you actually navigate to regedit.exe on your Windows partition and run it with wine?
    First, I navigated to my Windows directory using the terminal. When I saw that the Wine registry loaded instead of the Windows one, I tried doing a right-click in Nautilus and "run with" which also brought up the Wine registry.

BTW, I am running a dual boot system.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast