Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: System Restore

Beans

Re: System Restore

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfReach View Post
    Thanks, I'll work and upload my changes to my branch later. (Launchpad is currently down for maintenance)
    The GUI's should stand on their own now. Only changes to system_restore.py should cause any issues. At the moment, the API's are almost the same except for errors.

Also, SystemRestore.Constants has useful information in it so you don't have to hardcode values. Use what you will. The current code is editted to use it I think.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    This is aimed at GUI *buntu users. We have all bases covered, except for those using something like OzOS (which is user friendly), but that wouldn't have a menu anyway.
    Hopefully, if it tries to be user-friendly, it still uses .desktop files to provide whatever GUI method it uses. I run IceWM on my server, and it uses its own custom menu format, which means I have to manually configure the menus. Several other WMs I've used have also been that way, and frankly, that's a dumb way of doing things. All WMs or DEs that have a GUI way of launching programs should generate whatever lists they generate using .desktop files.

Plus, I did call those situations edge cases.

It wouldn't work; python-tk isn't installed by default on any of the *buntu's.
    I didn't believe you until I checked it out. I wonder what other parts of the Python stdlib are missing from a default *buntu? Kinda defeats the purpose if a stdlib if you can't count on it being present.

Attempting to merge it with the old work will be...painful. I think.
    Indeed. When I switched to trunk, I merged it to preserve the packaging work I'd done in 1.0. I had 7 conflicts to resolve.

I've finished the build script (well, it works, but it's really ugly and messy). It's in the branch lp:~scott.severance/sysres/build_script. I put it in a branch of its own because I don't think that a .deb build script really belongs in the source distribution. Feel free to merge it if you disagree.

It took longer to write than I'd anticipated since I initially wrote it in Ruby to take advantage of the fact that Ruby is more convenient for a shell script-type approach such as I was taking (due without the disadvantages of shell scripts). I ended up having to rewrite it in Python because it requires expect and there's no Ruby expect lib in the repos. So it's still ugly Python, since I was trying to use Python like a shell script. But it works, and others are welcome to clean it up if they don't like it.

Oh, one other thing: To save time, I assumed that the people running the script are intelligent, so I did very little input validation. Read the --help message.

Beans

(nvteighen: I hope you find current trunk acceptable now)
    Acceptable... no, actually, nice job, but some issues:
    1) You lost the Qt interface somehow in the process (just merge from my branch to restore it)
    2) sysres now broken. This is something I expected to happen. The fix is to properly set the package tree so import at interfaces knows where to look at for the Core (it is related to setting __path__ and __all__ in the __init__.py files... but I just don't understand Python docs on this)... As they're yielding an ImportError because of the non-found Core, sysres tells you that PyGTK or PyQt aren't installed... even if I try to start the CLI

(luckily, this is just the trunk. I hope stable works, no matter how the code looks like...)

nvteighen is yelling at me for being imperfect
    I know you're joking. But I feel some of posts were a bit rude. Sorry if I was.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nvteighen View Post
    Acceptable... no, actually, nice job, but some issues:
    1) You lost the Qt interface somehow in the process (just merge from my branch to restore it)
    2) sysres now broken. This is something I expected to happen. The fix is to properly set the package tree so import at interfaces knows where to look at for the Core (it is related to setting __path__ and __all__ in the __init__.py files... but I just don't understand Python docs on this)... As they're yielding an ImportError because of the non-found Core, sysres tells you that PyGTK or PyQt aren't installed... even if I try to start the CLI
    Hmm...

Well, in theory it was perfect.

I try to fix trunk.

Oh, it was simpler than we though. Somehow, __init__.py never made it into Interfaces.

The issue with the errors is they are saying os.stderr doesn't exist? Doesn't it?

<edit>
    Ok. Fixed interfaces starting up (Qt was importing wrong, I don't know why... Not looking at log; no point in pointing fingers
    os.stderr is still not working for some reason on my system.

(luckily, this is just the trunk. I hope stable works, no matter how the code looks like...)
    It does. Except for that one GTK interface issue which won't exist with the new launcher.

I know you're joking. But I feel some of posts were a bit rude. Sorry if I was.
    No, I want people to be blunt. Just like I am.
    Last edited by LaRoza; September 18th, 2008 at 07:04 PM.

Beans

Everything starts now.

__init__.py files are not complicated. They just have to be there. In the interfaces directory, there was no such file.

The CLI, arguments, QT and GTK start now.

The QT interface had its imports changed for some reason. I am also not happy with the QT imports (from import *) but since it only affects that file, I am not going to manually change it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    I didn't believe you until I checked it out. I wonder what other parts of the Python stdlib are missing from a default *buntu? Kinda defeats the purpose if a stdlib if you can't count on it being present.
    It confuses me also. PyGTK is there (Ubuntu uses it) though in the GTK DE's.

Oh, one other thing: To save time, I assumed that the people running the script are intelligent, so I did very little input validation. Read the --help message.
    What? You didn't write a bullet proof build script

Beans

Hurray, trunk works!... at least until someone (i.e. me) puts his/her hands on it and everything breaks apart again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    If I'm not wrong, Ubuntu ships with "python-core" (or similar) installed, not "python". The same as happens with vi(m), where "vim-tiny" is the default.

It's a bit annoying.

Beans

Hurray, trunk works!... at least until someone (i.e. me) puts his/her hands on it and everything breaks apart again.
    First nice thing you said about me all day

If I'm not wrong, Ubuntu ships with "python-core" (or similar) installed, not "python". The same as happens with vi(m), where "vim-tiny" is the default.

It's a bit annoying.
    A bit?!

Beans

This is aimed at GUI *buntu users. We have all bases covered, except for those using something like OzOS (which is user friendly), but that wouldn't have a menu anyway.
    Hi
    I'm very interested in this.

In fact it should work like honey on OzOS, since it is a slim (X)Ubuntu base and a highly system-independent DE (all implemented in a single folder).
    We have already self made tools for backup and restore DE, so with a System Restore application, in our case, we will have *really* all our bases covered

Menu implementations on e17 follows freedesktop.org standards, so what works for gnome or xfce4 usually works on e17.
    And that's the case...

The only thing that don't shows it's icon, since it's a svg.
    Can you include a png image too (with same name so .desktop would not require changes on Icon)?

Just a "contribution" for desktop file, Pt translation:
    Name[pt]=Recuperação do sistema
    Comment[pt]=Salvaguarda e recupera ficheiros importantes do sistema
    Some bugs (vers 1.0.1 deb):
    If i select 'Use custom directory' and change Add files to Defaults choice, it seems to ignore the new adds. On Default directory works correctly.

There is no immediate hurry; we aren't well known yet.
    Ahh the fame... well that i can't offer, but since it's a GPL project I'm thinking in include it by default on OzOS repos and future versions.
    Thank you.

Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast