Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: System Restore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: System Restore

Hey the new Sysres looks good! I have a couple of points if you guys don't mind. The window when the GTK gui starts up is not quite the right size on my machine. Just stretching the bottom corner sorts this (this is really picky I know). Secondly how about an about tab? Things like the developers, what it does, liscense info etc?

PS do you want an icon?

Beans

adam_kimber: Is it the width or the height that is wrong?
    (The width is automatically set based on how much space the widgets "want", but I request a special height or otherwise it would be too short, since the widgets that take space are in scrollbar windows and can made smaller)

Good idea, the about tab, it should be easy to incorporate I'll put that on my to do list as well as tooltips.

--

The development from my part might slow down a little as I have other work too and I'm also currently rewriting my gui code since I wasn't really happy of the state of it before. (Although the new code might differ little for someone who's not me )

The real pain is the TreeView in the view tab (and coming in the advanced tab), since it's a quite flexible tool it also requires quite some code to set up to do even the simplest things.
    Last edited by red_Marvin; August 11th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adam_kimber View Post
    Hey the new Sysres looks good! I have a couple of points if you guys don't mind. The window when the GTK gui starts up is not quite the right size on my machine. Just stretching the bottom corner sorts this (this is really picky I know). Secondly how about an about tab? Things like the developers, what it does, liscense info etc?
    I'll leave that up to the person doing the GUI (for anyone else, see the changelog, readme and license files)

In case it matters, I use xmonad which means the windows are automatically the size of the screen (if they are the only one open on that tag)

PS do you want an icon?
    I haven't considered that.

Quote Originally Posted by red_Marvin View Post
    The development from my part might slow down a little as I have other work too and I'm also currently rewriting my gui code since I wasn't really happy of the state of it before. (Although the new code might differ little for someone who's not me )

The real pain is the TreeView in the view tab (and coming in the advanced tab), since it's a quite flexible tool it also requires quite some code to set up to do even the simplest things.
    Well, I won't be changing much, but if I do, I will attach it here (I will append a letter to the version, so sysres-0.8b would be the next one). It isn't an official release, so don't use it people! Get the one off sourceforge.net.

The 0.8 has some changes. It is all in the changelog (remember, year-month-day).

Beans

TreeView is the stuff of nightmares. Talk about an insanely over-engineered tool! It's what's delayed the GUI for my Net Responsibility config tool.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Could you explain that? I know one can get all the packages installed with a command (forget it though) is there a a file to parse?

Once I get this to work (GUI issues and restore not finished now), I will be very open to adding to it and probably have a little page for it somewhere.
    There is the command
    Code:
    aptitude reinstall [package-name]
    ?
    It could be quite useful to maintain a list of installed packages (just their name) and iterate over the list forcing a re-install.

Also, it would be quite neat to have the ability to add sources/remove sources based on preferences. Essentially a configuration file for this app itself (which in turn should be included in the to-do list).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Reiger View Post
    There is the command
    Code:
    aptitude reinstall [package-name]
    ?
    It could be quite useful to maintain a list of installed packages (just their name) and iterate over the list forcing a re-install.

Also, it would be quite neat to have the ability to add sources/remove sources based on preferences. Essentially a configuration file for this app itself (which in turn should be included in the to-do list).
    Please read thread backwards Here it the script for reinstall packages and making such restore points. Do not use it with sysres! It was written a while ago, and it will mess sysres up if used with it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=78

I am not interested in making an editor for source lists. That is what synaptic is for (and what I use vim for)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

adam_kimber: Is it the width or the height that is wrong?
    Unfortunately its the width that is wrong. One of the widgets seems to enjoy being off the page.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

i used to use flyback, it is similar to your program but is dead now. You may want to check it out, it is on google code.
    hp dv6395 ea 2gb ram core 2 duo 2.00 Ghz archlinux User | Arch rocks! | Submit Bug Reports! https://launchpad.net/ubuntu | Include detail in your thread titles!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adam_kimber View Post
    Unfortunately its the width that is wrong. One of the widgets seems to enjoy being off the page.
    I don't that should be possible O_o anyway, I'm not using the same type of container widget in the version I'm working on, so hopefully the next release won't have this problem.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans

Ok, we now have a QT interface.

This is the sysres up to date. Please review your code to see if you it the way you want it before release.

The run options are --cli, --qtk or --qt.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast