Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

Redhat linux on my Amiga 1200 PPC 133mhz with 8mb gfx memory and 16mb ram... 800mb hd

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

I tried Xubuntu, DSL, Puppy and some other light distros on a 2000 HP Brio BA400. Didn't work well, but I think that machine was in pretty bad shape already because Windows 98 didn't work well in it anymore either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Pentium 2, 64MB RAM, ~5GB HDD. It used to run Windows 95, but I had to have some fun and see how Linux ran on it. It
    Packin Debian Package Creator- Packin is a graphical Linux package creator wizard which compiles packages in the popular debian package format (.deb files). Packin is hosted on sourceforge.net and released under the GPL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What about the following new Ubuntu versions:
    Dell CSx laptop PIII 500mHz, 384MB, disk 40GB Xubuntu 11.10
    Siemens Scovery PII 400mHz, 384MB, disk 13GB Ubuntu 10.10
    both are used daily.

In the past in 2005 and I hope my memory does not cheat me:
    Dell desktop: PI 133mHz, 64MB, disk scsi 2+2GB as LVM, Ubuntu 5.04
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans

Pre-Y2K Dell Inspiron 3700 that I just picked up today. Originally ran Windows 98 and is currently running the similarly-antiquated muLinux 14r0. Pentium III processor @ 466MHz; 128 MB RAM; 6 GB HDD. It's not as old as some computers that have already been mentioned on this thread, but it's still old-enough so that it has no CD drive and lacks dial-up, let alone Ethernet and wireless. Forget about booting from that USB 1.1 port - the BIOS won't support it. I ended up using floppy disks as installation media - a first for me, since I'm a pretty recent convert.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have Puppy running on my old IBM original ThinkPad. 386 with 128K memory and a 80 meg hard drive.
    Just trying to get through life without the eternal blue screen of death.

Beans

Back in the days i had a 386 SX 20 MHz and installed a really old debian, dont remember which version, hdd was something like 800 mb and memory 16 MB.
    Command line only, used as web server to put up the pages I was making for my webdesign class (max DHTML but later added PHP to it).
    Connection was 4 K at the time so the machine wasnt really important as the speed was terrible anyway. Run Apache, not some light server, ssh, I even compiled the kernel on is (2.2 or 2.4 flavour, dont remember exactly and it took longer than one night) and it was in the year 2000, so the machine was really junk even for those days.
    I also have an XT from 1986, original IBM, still alive but didnt put linux on it since 386 is the bare minimum for a "normal" kernel (runs windows 3.0 tho).
    Last project is did last month was an 120 Mhz Compaq Armada 1510 DM iirc, with PCMCIA usb card and usb2Ethernet convertor, CDROM but terrible TFT display max 1 mb memory and 800x600 resolution. Has 80 mb ram, and tried many distros on it.
    Problem is with the display, VESA is extremely slow and I couldnt get any distro to recognize it the video card out of the box, managed Puppy the LuPu variant (Lucid Puppy) in the end in paralel with win98 with kernelex on a 4 GB hdd.
    Everything works, cant play MP3 tho, it is too choppy, but can use it for browsing, email, the battey lasts a wooping 2 hours (after reformating it), even the mobile (GSM couldnt make the CDMA stick to work, but didnt try too hard either) internet is working. Too bad is so chunky, otherwise would have carried it with me for the sake of attracting geeky crowds wondering about it...
    M

Beans

Crunchbang 10 Statler on my old PII~266 with 128MB of RAM and a 10GB HDD, and it runs great, despite the ancient hardware specs. It originally ran Windows 98 until I screwed up the install trying to install Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 a while back, due to the disc being burned off incorrectly at the time, then it gathered dust for a while. Properly burned off a Crunchbang 10 disc Monday, and installed it as soon as I got off school.

The res sucks though, the highest it can go up to being 800x600, but I think that's due to the PCI video card and ancient CRT monitor. Also, it's slightly laggy, but that's a given with old hardware.

Heck of a lot faster than Windows 98 though.
    Last edited by TeamRocket1233c; February 2nd, 2012 at 01:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Packard Bell Pentium 100 with 16 MB EDO RAM.

I installed Red Hat on it before the Fedora project ever existed.

It wasn't a very practical install, sadly. But, it was my first.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I once pulled a DSL Linux dual boot on a old Compaq Presario with Win98SE on it. (Just 32Mbs of RAM and a 322mhz AMD CPU, without hardware-accelerated graphics.) Can't remember the exact model number, unfortunately, but it must have been built in 2001, iirc.

Would have tried installed Deli (Crazy) Linux on an even older Presario model with Win95 installed, but its hard disk hardly had 198MBs of capacity; barely enough space for the OS. The rest of the system specs were fitting, though, which is a shame, 'cause it would have worked! (33Mhz i386 CPU and 48MBs of RAM)

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast