Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

Beans

Re: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

I installed it on an old P1 166 MHz with 64 MB RAM and a hard drive of 2 GB. It was Debian 3.1, in command-line mode. I also used Damn Small Linux on that PC for a few weeks and it behaved very well.

Another successful install was on an AMD K6/2 500 MHz with 64 MB RAM and an 8.4 GB Seagate HDD. Debian 3.1, in both CLI and GUI mode (KDE 3.3.2 if I recall correctly). KDE worked extremely slow, but it worked. When I needed to listen to music I could use XMMS but I preferred command line, with ogg123 and mpg123.

Running Debian in command-line on an old PC is quite fun and you get to learn a *huge* amount of stuff this way.

Beans

How about this.

IBM L40SX which was an old (even then) 386SX laptop clocked at 16MHz, with 10MB of memory (I know, it should not have worked, but an 8MB DIMM from a PS/2 did work). I think it had a 80MB hard disk.

I had Redhat 4.1 running on it, and X was too slow to use (and painful at 640x480 in 16 shades of grey), but it ran command line OK. Was a real pain to build, as it had no CDROM drive. If I remember correctly, I copied the install images across a PPP or SLIP serial link booted from an install floppy connected to my desktop system (which was a 100MHz Pentium system with 32MB of memory and a 1.2GB disk).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey, I can update...

The oldest computer I installed Linux on was a Compaq 486 laptop. It had a 120M hard drive and I believe 16M of RAM.

I had to do a bit of hacking to get DSL running on it, but I got it to go! Too slow for anything useful though. Although it was fun doing it.
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo Pony View Post
    Hey, I can update...

The oldest computer I installed Linux on was a Compaq 486 laptop. It had a 120M hard drive and I believe 16M of RAM.

I had to do a bit of hacking to get DSL running on it, but I got it to go! Too slow for anything useful though. Although it was fun doing it.
    BasicLinux would of done better.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Debian on an hp pavilion 8590C
    Last edited by Jengajam2; November 8th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Beans

back in about 1993 - using kernel 0.99 - linux 'distrib' came on 30+ floppies. Took about 2 weeks to configure the Xserver!! - clock plus xterm and then I gave up.

Was a DX66 133MHZ with 32MB of ram - 'top of the range - super quick', well it booted linux a lot quicker than windows 3.1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rzrgenesys187 View Post
    Old emachines. Used to run Windows 95. 4.7GB Hard drive, 32mb RAM (i think), not sure about other specs since it is at home. DSL runs fantastic on this
    That's exactly what I have!

Beans

Intel celeron 1.8ghz, 256MB of RAM, and a 20gb hard drive - computer manufactured at around 2001 - I installed Ubuntu 5.10 and 6.06 on it, back in 2006.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Compaq Presario 5240 AMD k6 400MHz, 384mb RAM, 20 GB HD Xubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

First Install (you never forget your first):
    1998 - Redhat 5.2 from CheapBytes (I sat on it for a while, I think 6.x was out by the time I got around to installing). Compaq Presario CDS 954 (486 / 100 MHz, 4 MB RAM (although, if I remember right, I had boosted it up to 24 MB)). I think I had upgraded the modem to 28.8 baud, bought a 3.2 GB drive and an ISA controller card for it. Was dual booting Windows 98 on this beast and unlike others in this discussion, this was my main/only machine. FVWM95. Xeyes. ha

2000 - While not my first install, the specs are lower than the other. IBM model P55 (I think). Old 486/66MHz, 8 MB RAM, 200 MB HD, Microchannel architecture (ugh). Installed Debian 3.x on it (don't recall the exact version, just remember it was discussed on Slashdot as being the "last Debian distro to be delivered on floppies" - 10, I think). Never really did anything with that machine, other than install a command line system. W/o a network connection/modem (MCA Ethernet was very expensive (for me anyway) and very hard to find), apt-get was out of the question.

Funny, a few months ago I tried to install RH 5.2 on a VirtualBox VM an couldn't. How far we have come....

- Jed
    TriLUG, w00t!

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast