Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

Beans

Re: What's the OLDEST computer you have installed linux on?

I have installed and am running debian on a 50MHz 32Mb ram old 486, with totally 2Gb hdd iirc.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I installed Damn Small Linux on this (scroll down to see the pix) -TOSHIBA DynaBook DB50C-about 10 years old.
    celerom 500mhz , 64MB , 6GB without a LAN adapter , i neede to use some external network card to get online (this one)
    The only Linux that would recognise the card was Knoppix but it was too slow to run on the computer . Finally i found DSL-N which is Damn Small Linux with Knoppix hardware recognition.

Beans

my laptop in my sig. it's 8 years old. It's maxed out as far as i can take it i think.

320MB of pc100 ram
    just put in a new rt2500 Beng m-pci wifi card to replace the god awful rt61. Just need antenna
    448MHz PIII
    got a 80GB 7200rpm hitachi on the way. Can't wait because the 30gb 4200rpm toshiba was only supposed to be a stop gap measure. It's effin noisy, hot and very slow.

Runs Debian Etch with XFCE4 beautifully. Tried and tried with different Ubuntu variants. Ubuntu is too bloated even in the server install.
    Also have win2k, just because i can.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My Pentium 133 with 36M of RAM running DSL. It's got a 1.2G hard drive, 3 DVD ROM drives, and USB 2.0. The floppy controller is shot.

I use it in my Garage to play MP3s. You can fit a good 700 MP3s on a single layer DVD. When I get enough music, I'll go dual layer
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans

Wow... there are some really old computers out there running Linux! I think so many people buy new computers because their old ones start running slow and they think they just have to have the fastest processor and the most RAM etc (that's how I used to think) I wish I knew about Linux ten years ago... it would have saved me a lot of money over the years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tuebinger View Post
    Wow... there are some really old computers out there running Linux! I think so many people buy new computers because their old ones start running slow and they think they just have to have the fastest processor and the most RAM etc (that's how I used to think) I wish I knew about Linux ten years ago... it would have saved me a lot of money over the years.
    True dat, of course most of the reason to upgrade to appease the hardware vendors usually comes down to games, but Vista certainly attempted to bog down computers, luckily it's a pretty big failure. Unfortunately, aside from the games through Wine, Quake Wars is pretty much the only reason to really do a severe upgrade for Linux machines now until UT3 gets their act together. 3D shooters sure are getting boring though, would really like to see more game companies making more stuff for Linux. (Yes, I know several are, but I mean more!)

Oh, and don't forget upgrading for prettier Compiz Fusion effects, even though it still runs awesome on lower-end graphics cards/computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was trying to prive to my friends that linux would run on really old hardware, so I got a block of wood, cut a hole in it and put an ubuntu liv cd in. I had to reconfigure the bios, but it didn't have enough ram to boot the live cd, so I need to get and alternative installer.
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

why not just upgrade the ram?
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Old Thinkpad (~400Mhz Celeron, 192MB Ram, 6GB HDD) running Xubuntu

Old Compaq (133 Mhz, 32 MB Ram, 2 GB HDD), ran Clarkconnect as a router for a long time, best wired router I've ever used.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cookieofdoom View Post
    My friends and I submerged it in vegetable oil to see if it would still work (it did... nonconductive fluids rock) and then we set it on fire to watch it burn...

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast