Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why are so many users having issues with sound?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Why are so many users having issues with sound?

Quote Originally Posted by conehead77 View Post
    After thinking about it, my comp is about 3 years old (P4 Dual Core) with a integrated Intel sound card as far as i can tell.
    Maybe its time to replace it somewhen with a 100% Linux compatible box.

Sef (Ubuntu mod) told me that package can cause problems. He posted another possible fix involving modules

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...11#post4170211

Nathan

Beans

I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 card and haven't had any problems once I got my .asoundrc set up, which took some tweaking for sure, but now I can have multiple apps using sound at once, 5.1, 2.0 upmixed to 5 channels, etc.

Last I checked sound in linux is all about the hardware company playing nice with putting out drivers for linux. I had tried a couple Creative cards and a Turtle Beach, then settled on the Revo as the quality is superb and it works great.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans

I have come to the conclusion that very few users have trouble with sound. It is just that the ones that do sound off a lot about it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Well that was creative! Haha me funny...

How did it work in Fiesty? Or only used Gutsy?

Nathan
    It actually worked a lot better in Feisty. I could (almost) command which ever sound card I wanted to. It would usually use the onboard, but sometimes it would randomly pick the Creative card when it booted.

I had worse trouble when I used Edgy. When I finally got ANY sound to work, it sounded terrible.

I've been doing a very slow migration over to Ubuntu, and things seem to slowly be getting better. I haven't tinkered much with Gutsy since I'll be moving to Hardy (and staying there) when it finally comes out.

And I may just give Pulse Audio a try.
    What do tone deaf singers, floppy drive music, and an old woman dreaming about mashed rodents have in common? They're all on my blog! CHECK IT OUT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by reassuringlyoffensive View Post
    Sef (Ubuntu mod) told me that package can cause problems. He posted another possible fix involving modules

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...11#post4170211

Nathan
    Thanks for the link, i bookmarked it in case i get a problem with the current solution.
    NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does. Make sure you know what it is that you're telling your system to do before doing it; some commands can be very harmful to your system or leave you vulnerable to attack.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey All-

I have an M-Audio Revo 7.1 and love it. Except for 3 main issues:

1) Sometimes if I launch another app that uses sound (movieplayer, youtube videos) the sound will stop working and I have to do a cold reboot

2) I cannot control volume from the ubuntu volume control applet. I am using the PCM (digital) sound out, BTW

3) I really want to use audacity to edit mp3s for my upcoming wedding slideshow and cannot hear the mp3s play via my PCM

Thanks for any help.

Take care,
    X

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234