Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMware Server slow performance Gusty

Beans

VMware Server slow performance Gusty

Hi

I installed Vmware Server VMware Server 1.0.4 using apt-get on my notebook, but it realy slow it takes me almost 1 minutes to get the vmware server console to start and sometime it wont connect to localhost vmware-server

I try to install it on my PC that is much older specs than my notebook it worked flawlessly but i can't figure out what wrong with the installation on my notebook

both using gusty

PC = AMD Sempron 1.2GHZ / 1GB MEMORY
    Notebook = Intel Centrino Duo Core 1.85GHZ / 1GB MEMORY (SMP kernel)

anyone know why this is happening? the vmware-server on my pc run faster then the one installed on my notebook

THKS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VMware Server slow performance Gusty

If you have setup VMware to use two cores of your CPU, go to only one. That is the issue with dual-core for this release.

Using only one core improves speed dramatically.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Always let VMware allocate the full disk image, turn off background snapshots and disable removable devices (CDROM/USB) since those are easy to enable again when needed. Then install VMware tools in the target.

With these changes, it should run at near native speed.

Cheers,

Herman

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    If you have setup VMware to use two cores of your CPU, go to only one. That is the issue with dual-core for this release.

Using only one core improves speed dramatically.
    how do you do that? by setup vmware u mean use two cores virtual client configuration or the vmware-server daemon itself?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zuan View Post
    how do you do that? by setup vmware u mean use two cores virtual client configuration or the vmware-server daemon itself?
    In the client. Load the client, get out of it, then in the VM Settings for client, Processors, there is a place for selecting one or two cores.
    Last edited by fjgaude; January 19th, 2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

well the problem is even starting the vmware-server console is slow i didnt even started the client.

and also seem when ever i try to create a new virtual machine it will hang when creating the disk, the server console having dificulties connecting to the server.

Note:

I have to wait about 50-60 secs after i clicked the vmware-server console to show up
    I have to wait 10-15 secs for the server console to connect to localhost :-/

i tried to install the one from .gz d/l from vmware but it have trouble compling the vmnet driver if none work will try Virtualbox

I only need this to test my pfSense firewall rules set

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

When you reinstalled vmware did you completely remove all aspects of it before trying to install? Any config file left ruins the new install.

Beans

1st installation is via apt-get
    2nd installation via *.gz but never finish

Beans
    Distro

It didn't finish, yes, but did you completely remove all items of the initial install?

You can tell, this is one way, in Synaptic, Search for vmware, then click on Status, then click on Not Installed (residual config), then click vmware For Complete Removal. That does it.

Now you can re-install using the downloaded binary.

Beans

already done that and reinstall but the same :-/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast