Thread: Finding an ISP in Wisconsin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Finding an ISP in Wisconsin

I'm planning on switching to another ISP because my current one, TDS Telecom, has a 50GB bandwidth limit (hidden in the terms). Time Warner, the cable ISP in my area, just announced a trial of tiered pricing with bandwidth limits. Most of the local DSL providers only service users with AT&T as their telco (mine is TDS). I don't want wireless service from a local ISP or satellite because they're too slow and expensive. Do you have any suggestions? I live in Howards Grove (near Sheboygan), my service is 3 Mbps up and 512 Kbps down and it costs about $50/month. Most of time, I download the occasional Linux ISO (sometimes DVD images), browse the Web, and leave sshd running for remote access (allowed by my current ISP).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Finding an ISP in Wisconsin

I don't know if they are anywhere near your area but I have Centurytel here in Baraboo. My only problem with them is that my connection goes out in the middle of the night on occasion. Also I think our 10 Mbps is cheaper than your 3 Mbps, but I'd have to check with my dad on that. It really depends on how rural it is around there.
    Last edited by Goda; January 19th, 2008 at 07:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My connection has been reliable, but I'm still annoyed at that bandwidth limit. Nearby Sheboygan has a lot more choices because they're serviced by AT&T.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MethodOne View Post
    My connection has been reliable, but I'm still annoyed at that bandwidth limit. Nearby Sheboygan has a lot more choices because they're serviced by AT&T.
    The Charter monopoly hasn't hit your neighborhood yet?

Beans

For the price of 45/month split between myself and my roommate, AT&T's 5MB service isn't that shabby...and as a former Charter customer, anything is better.

I've heard good things about Verizon however.

Nominate Howards Grove for 1Gbps!

http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi