Thread: My First Personal Computer

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My First Personal Computer

A Commodore 64

A bit about the Basic Language:

• On address $FFF6-$FFF9 (65526-9) in the C64 KERNAL, immediately before the hard-coded jump vectors for the processor, is letter sequence "RRBY". These are the initials of Robert Russell and Bob Yannes, the two main engineers that created the C64.
    • The Commodore 64's BASIC V2, the programming language which came built-in with the computer, can be crashed by executing PRINT""+-x (where x is any integer), or by attempting to create a BASIC program with an initial line numbers 350720 to 353279.
    • Due to a quirk in the C64's BASIC operating system, an Easter egg or screensaver of sorts may be activated by pressing the RUN/STOP and RESTORE keys in unison, then entering POKE781,96:SYS58251 on the subsequently cleared screen.[21]
    • There are ways to hide lines of code written in the BASIC Language stored in local memory, using control characters outside delimiting quotes, which the BASIC LIST function displayed as cursor control codes. For example, the reverse "heart" symbol would clear the screen, the reverse [ character would delete characters, and the character shift-L (which looks like an L-shaped border corner) in the program code would cause a syntax error and abort the LISTing.
    • Even though the VIC chip displays borders around the screen, it is possible to disable these vertical or side borders to allow graphics to be displayed by altering the hardware registers at the correct time.[22]
    • Using short commands (the first letter, then shift and the second) it was possible to make BASIC lines more than two display rows long. The C64 could not parse more than two display rows when the subsequent code was LISTed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
    Dalai Lama

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: My First Personal Computer

Quote Originally Posted by jeffus_il View Post
    A Commodore 64

A bit about the Basic Language:
    My first PC as well (though technically it belonged to my parents). I remember using BASIC to program a very simple multi-option adventue game.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

Mine was an eMachine with windows 98.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mine was a Amiga 500 :3 .. remember playing maniac mansion and Indiana Jones on it all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wow, that takes me back. 1983 - Atari 600XL.
    Ubuntu Gutsy AMD64
    HP DV6324US Notebook, Turion 64x2, 2GB RAM, nVidia Graphics, Broadcom 43xx Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Commodore 64C (1988, I think)
    Five years later I had an Amiga 500.
    Last edited by samwyse; January 16th, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
    Kubuntu 14.04 LTS | AMD Athlon II X3 455 | 8 GB DDR3 | GF 750 GTX

Beans

We already have a long thread about the same topic in this forum.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414111

Would be better to contribute to that thread.