Thread: VirtualBox & Dynamically expanding vdi-file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

VirtualBox & Dynamically expanding vdi-file

I used the dynamically expanding drive option. But my xp soon got out of space, and the drive ain't growing. When I look at the hard-disk details, it's listed as 2 GB normal. Thought that was odd, so I created some new disks to check, and they all got listed as normal. I've got a feeling it should be dynamic or something like that.

Anyone else having this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: VirtualBox & Dynamically expanding vdi-file

The 2 GB is the size the disk can grow to. It is dynamic in size, but once you hit 2 gig it stops growing.

The normal relates to whether the vdi is a normal image, immutable image or write through image.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks! I started to suspect that that was the case... So now I have to do the windows-installation all over again? No way of expanding this image?

Beans
    Hidden!

Try making a backup image of your existing vbox, then create a new larger virtual hard disk, attach it as your primary, then restore your image. Works on real hardware so should work in the virtual world too?
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro

I'm gonna try that later on when I get home.

But now another problem has araised. Maby I'll post it in a new post, but it's odd that it happened now that I installed VirtualBox.

After reboot, Ubuntu din't find my display, even though xorg.conf is the same. i had to remove the nvidia driver and replace it with nv, and run metacity. Is this a familiar problem????

EDIT: Installed the latest nvidia driver, and fixed the xorg. Works fine now. Don't know what broke it though, maby WirtualBox, but whatever, it's working now
    Last edited by olavjunior; January 16th, 2008 at 03:26 PM.