Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Installing Maya 7.0

Beans

Cool HOWTO: Installing Maya 7.0 / 8.0 / 8.5

This thread is about installing Alias Wavefront Maya 7.0 on Ubuntu, tested on Hoary 5.04.

It's based on johannes' thread about Maya 6.5.

The instructions are very similar for Autodesk Maya 8.0 and 8.5 (tested on Feisty 7.04). Thanks to ZombieAcademy for providing these hints.
    You only need to adjust the filenames when installing the packages.

Install the following programs, in case you don't already have them:
    Code:
    apt-get install csh alien
    Copy over all rpm installation files to a local directory.
    We need to convert the rpm-packages to debian format using alien. Change to the directory that holds your rpms and run:
    Code:
    for i in *.rpm; do sudo alien -cv $i; done
    This will take some time.
    (fragmental reported that he had problems running alien on a FAT filesystem, so better don't try that.)
    To make Maya install without problems later, we need to create the following link, even though /usr/aw doesn't exist yet:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/aw /aw
    For Maya 8.0 / 8.5, you also need to run
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/autodesk /autodesk
    Now we're ready to install the Maya packages:
    (Change the filenames according to your version. Also have a look at the update at the end of this howto.)
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i awcommon-server_9.5-2_i386.deb
    For Maya 8.0 / 8.5, you can ignore the warning about chkconfig not being found. Now, run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i awcommon_9.5-2_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i maya7-0_7.0-375_i386.deb
    Now you need to install your license file (aw.dat).
    Copy it over to /var/flexlm (create this directory if it doesn't exist):
    Code:
    sudo cp aw.dat /var/flexlm
    Make sure Maya has read-access to this file.
    I didn't need to install aksusbd*.deb.
    To stop Maya from complaining at startup about not being able to create a log file, run
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /usr/tmp
    sudo chmod 777 /usr/tmp
    You should be able to run Maya now by running:
    Code:
    maya
    DinoeL noted that to fix the error
    Code:
    /aw/maya7.0/bin/maya.bin: /aw/maya7.0/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
    you need to create some symlinks (only if you get the error above!):
    Code:
    sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 /usr/aw/maya/lib/libstdc++.so.5
    sudo ln -sf /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/aw/maya/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
    In case you get the error "Can't Find libXp.so.6", you need to install libxp6 (thanks to Rixeh for this):
    Code:
    apt-get install libxp6
    Should you get the error "/aw/COM/bin/installKey: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory":
    Code:
    apt-get install libmotif3
    To install the documentation files (optional step), run:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i maya7-0-docs-en-us_7.0-381_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i maya7-0-docserver_7.0-381_i386.deb
    You can start up and shut down the documentation server using
    Code:
    /usr/aw/maya/docs/startDocServer.sh
    /usr/aw/maya/docs/shutdownDocServer.sh
    To make the documentation server start up at boot time, create the script /etc/init.d/maya-doc-server (as root) with the following content:
    Code:
    #! /bin/sh
    #
    # maya-doc-server
    #
    # Starts and stops the Maya Documentation Server
    #
    set -e
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/aw/maya/docs
    DESC="Maya Documentation Server"
    NAME=maya-doc-server
    SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NAME
    case "$1" in
    start)
    echo -n "Starting $DESC"
    startDocServer.sh
    echo "."
    ;;
    stop)
    echo -n "Stopping $DESC"
    shutdownDocServer.sh
    echo "."
    ;;
    restart|force-reload)
    echo -n "Restarting $DESC"
    shutdownDocServer.sh
    startDocServer.sh
    echo "."
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
    exit 1
    ;;
    esac
    exit 0
    Now run
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/maya-doc-server
    sudo update-rc.d maya-doc-server defaults
    That should basically be all you need for a proper Maya installation on Ubuntu. Let me know if it worked for you!

I had big trouble running Maya and having the X composite extension enabled at the same time (using an nVidia card and current drivers): all titlebars disappeared. Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, so better disable compositing when using Maya. There's another post on the Autodesk forum that might be helpful (thanks, Bart Simpson 18 ).
    Additionally, my window display got garbled when scrolling. For me it worked to add the following section to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Section "Extensions"
      Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection
    You need to restart your X server to use these new settings. Compiz / Beryl probably won't work anymore because of this.

By default, [Alt] + mouse moves windows in Gnome. However, for Maya you need the Alt-key for rotation, zooming etc.
    You can change the key binding to move windows in the Gnome settings. For example, set it to the Super-key, which corresponds to the Windows-key.

If you get font errors (e.g. "Error: Failed trying to load font : -*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-"), you might want to check your xorg.conf; especially if you've got an ATI driver installed: some users reported that this driver messes up the font paths.

If Maya segfaults on startup, you should double-check your license file.

mattb reported a problem using the TextCurve tool (Create -> Text) in the Maya 6.5 thread (Maya doesn't find the font files). I'm not aware of a solution to this right now.

Alias provides a set of "Bonus Tools" which might be interesting for some of you. Just convert and install the rpm in the same way as above.

Meanwhile, Alias released an update, Maya 7.01. You'll need a bronze account to download, but that only means you'll have to register there (for free). This update includes all the rpms to install Maya.

There is also a download for Maya 8.5 Service Pack 1.

A cursor issue can be fixed by running
    Code:
    export MAYA_MMSET_DEFAULT_XCURSOR=1
    (Thanks to endymon for this hint.)
    Last edited by szr4321; October 13th, 2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: new maya versions

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Installing Maya 7.0

it's okay now! cheers
    Last edited by simoncullen; September 29th, 2005 at 07:08 AM. Reason: problem solved

Beans

Works like a charm. An FYI, if anyone gets an error saying "Can't Find libXp.so.6", just apt-get install libxp6.

Beans

@Rixeh: Glad to hear that it worked for you!
    Thanks a lot for the libxp6 hint, I've added it to the HowTo.

Hi all,

I am a complete and utter newbie to Linux, but got my machine up and running on Ubuntu and now trying to install Maya 7. I am converting the rpm's to .deb files (or at least I am trying, but instead of building .deb files, alien creates directories which all contain a /debian and a /usr dir. Got no idea why and how to use them... any thoughts?

Thanks!

This is the output I get for one of them:

dh_testdir
    dh_testdir
    dh_testroot
    dh_clean -k -d
    dh_installdirs
    dh_installdocs
    dh_installchangelogs
    find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 | \
    xargs -0 -r -i cp -a {} debian/awcommon
    dh_compress
    dh_makeshlibs
    dh_installdeb
    dh_shlibdeps
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for libXm.so.2
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find path for libXp.so.6
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared library libstdc++ (soname 5, path /usr/lib32/libstdc+ +.so.5, dependency field Depends)
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared library libXt (soname 6, path /usr/lib32/libXt.so.6, dependency field Depends)
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared library libX11 (soname 6, path /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 , dependency field Depends)
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared library libXmu (soname 6, path /usr/lib32/libXmu.so.6 , dependency field Depends)
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: could not find any packages for (libXp.so.6)
    dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: unable to find dependency information for shared library libXp (soname 6, path , dependency field Depe nds)
    dh_gencontrol
    sh: gcc: command not found
    dpkg-architecture: warning: Couldn't determine gcc system type, falling back to default (native compilation)
    dpkg-gencontrol: error: current build architecture amd64 does not appear in package's list (i386)
    dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 65280
    make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1
    find: AWCommon-9.5: No such file or directory

Looks like the fact that I am running this on an AMD64 system is an issue as well. Might not be possible at all to convert then...

Beans

You might want to try to install the build-essential package using apt-get / synaptic. This will include gcc for example. I'm not sure though if that'll help or if it's a AMD64 related issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Hi,
    I'm trying to get Maya 6 running on Breezy (sorry I couldn't find a more pertinent thread) but when I start Maya the output window continously shows this error message (a continous cascade):

// Error: Failed trying to load font : -*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--14-*-*-*-p-82-iso8859-1 //
    // Error: Failed trying to load font : -*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 //
    // Error: Failed trying to load font : -*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--10-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 //
    // Error: Failed trying to load font : -*-helvetica-bold-r-normal--14-*-*-*-p-82-iso8859-1 //
    Part of Maya interface is obviously missing fonts (timeline, rangeslider etc)

What shall I do/install to get this missing helvetica?

A friend has the same problem with Maya 7 / Breezy, so at least it's not only Maya 6 related

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Nice Howto, thanks for it. But whenever i just try to run the command maya, bash outputs this

bash: /usr/local/bin/maya: /bin/csh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
    Any suggestions?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chadwick359
    bash: /usr/local/bin/maya: /bin/csh: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
    Could it be possible that you haven't installed csh (at the very beginning of the HowTo)?
    Try to run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install csh

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast