Thread: Reinstall mysql

Beans

Reinstall mysql

In the process of running commands to allow xbmcmythtv clients to connect, I think I sudoed where I shouldn't have and now I can't get mysql to start. I have been dealing with this off and on for a few weeks and now I have to solve it. I would like to do it in the least destructive manner possible, but I am about ready to throw in another harddrive and do a fresh install of mythbuntu just to get going again. I tried to reinstall mythtv-database, that failed with the same type of mysql I have been getting. I suppose that the next step is to reinstall (purge) mysql and mythtv-database. Can anyone help me with the process? Should I do anything else to insure that I am not left with file/directory permission problems? Thanks.

Update: I logged in and tried to reinstall all mysql packages using synaptic. No joy. After reinstall when it tried to configure mysql, it failed with the same error I had been getting about unable to connect to mysqld.sock. I looked at the complete removal option, but I did not want to go that far without some feedback.
    Last edited by lingenfr; January 19th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Reinstall mysql

to uninstall completely:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge mysql
    I'm pretty sure your databases will be fine, but I'm not 100% sure. If you want to be 100% sure, make a backup copy of the following folder:
    /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg

then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mysql
    Last edited by racmar; January 19th, 2008 at 03:10 AM.

Beans

Thanks. Unfortunately, mythtv depends on mysql and that would have wiped nearly everything. I grabbed my files off that system, wiped it and installed a fresh mythbuntu. I am nearly back to 100%. With what I know now about phpmyadmin, I might have been able to sort it out. I think I got myself into trouble with sudo and screwing up some folder/file permissions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

well, glad you've go it mostly sorted. You are right about the dependencies, but you could have just copied what was removed and then reinstalled those packages also.

Beans

agreed. once i get everything restored, i am going to image the system in case this happens again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You could have just imagined the system was working, if imagination is what you are after...

Good luck on the reinstall...
    Ubuntu User #19733/Linux User #449481