Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Screen for Computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Big Screen for Computer?

I'm currently thinking about buying a 32" or 37" LCD that I want to connect to my video card in place of my 17" flat screen monitor. My Nvidia card already has a default HD connection and would love to have a big screen because I basically use my computer for all my DVD's and other media.

I have been wanting a large screen tv for a while and think this would be a great idea. For me, 32" to 37" would be ideal in my usage. I do drool over the 72" things at Best Buy, though, but they are just way too much for what I really want and can afford.

I intend to buy one at around $500 and they do make some DECENT ones at that price.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?
    Beginner's Team List: here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Big Screen for Computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Presto123 View Post
    I'm currently thinking about buying a 32" or 37" LCD that I want to connect to my video card in place of my 17" flat screen monitor. My Nvidia card already has a default HD connection and would love to have a big screen because I basically use my computer for all my DVD's and other media.

I have been wanting a large screen tv for a while and think this would be a great idea. For me, 32" to 37" would be ideal in my usage. I do drool over the 72" things at Best Buy, though, but they are just way too much for what I really want and can afford.

I intend to buy one at around $500 and they do make some DECENT ones at that price.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?
    The problem is that the resolution will either be too hard on your graphics card or to low for viewing pleasure. I don't know of many screens that go that big that are meant for computing use, but Apple and Dell at least have some large models. I know they can go up to 32 inches, but I never heard of anything bigger.Good luck with the purchase, and make sure you gor for something with quality that pleases the eye.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The card is a 256MB GeForce 6200 and lists these two specs for resolution:

1. Maximum display resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85hz
    2. Flat-panel display support with resolutions up to 1900 x 1200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Presto123 View Post
    The card is a 256MB GeForce 6200 and lists these two specs for resolution:

1. Maximum display resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85hz
    2. Flat-panel display support with resolutions up to 1900 x 1200
    There shouldn't be any problem for nvidia geforce 6200 to drive a big LCD TV. Typically, a computer monitor supports much higher resolution that an LCD TV; the actual screen size doesn't matter, it the number of pixels.

For a LCD TV, you are currently looking at 1280x768 (HD ready) or something like 1680x1080 (full HD). You will not find any higher resolutions at typical consumer price range.

A couple of things to bear in mind (just my opinion, not hard facts; feel free to disagree):

1. My opinion is 1280x768 is too small for ubuntu. Mind, it still works, but I found it annoying that I have to fill the screen with one window only, else you can't see all the info. Some windows are simply too big; you need to move it to click on the ok button at the bottom right.

2. Some manufacturer "cheat". They say it support 1080p. But then you find out that the panel is really 720p, and they downscale the 1080p internally. So read the fine print.

3. Some panels don't have corrrect EDID, or missing info. This might give configuration problem. I look for VGA input as a back-up, which usually works better.
    Last edited by chewearn; January 13th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.

Beans

It's not going to look good, resolution will be to low. TV's do not and never will compare well to dedicated computer monitors as they were never designed for the same purpose. There is a reason it is only about $500, it's crap!

Rather get yourself a Dell 30" LCD if you want to go big.
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Also having to swivel your head a lot to see files on the far side of the screen = uncomfortable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aimran View Post
    Also having to swivel your head a lot to see files on the far side of the screen = uncomfortable.
    So what do you think would be the ideal size of a computer screen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i personally like my 19" monitor

but i got 2 17" crts and my tv set up as differnt displays so im used to swiveling my head

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aimran View Post
    True but it also depends on how close you sit to the monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think the idea right now is not to REPLACE the monitor, but make it a dual-monitor setup using the 32" (or 37") as video/gaming playback.

I would assume from replies here that I would be better to go with a 32". Either way, whichever I buy will be used for something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast