Thread: Serious Help Needed

Beans

Serious Help Needed

I use tight VNC to remote into my server.

i started installing my samba then had to stop because i was doing it remotley and didnt have my disk in the server drive at home (where i wasnt)

i now get a hang up and "readexact: socket error while reading" message blocking me from remotely entering.

i have seen many posts but no solutions to this issue with others, is this an issue that requires a full re-install or is there a VNC repair function or would completley removing the VNC capability from Ubunu server 7.10 then reinstalling help?

someone please give me a route to take, i would rather figure out the problem in case it happens again instead of just erasing it till it happens again.

thanks in advance

i can still core into the server remotley just not VNC it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Serious Help Needed

Quote Originally Posted by evilbuntu View Post
    I use tight VNC to remote into my server.

i started installing my samba then had to stop because i was doing it remotley and didnt have my disk in the server drive at home (where i wasnt)

i now get a hang up and "readexact: socket error while reading" message blocking me from remotely entering.

i have seen many posts but no solutions to this issue with others, is this an issue that requires a full re-install or is there a VNC repair function or would completley removing the VNC capability from Ubunu server 7.10 then reinstalling help?

someone please give me a route to take, i would rather figure out the problem in case it happens again instead of just erasing it till it happens again.

thanks in advance

i can still core into the server remotley just not VNC it.
    Have you tried rebooting the server yet? That may clear up the problem. If the problem persists after a reboot... I don't know, maybe a reinstall of the VNC software.
    Dulce Bellum Inexpertis

Beans

Re: Serious Help Needed

Quote Originally Posted by stalker145 View Post
    Have you tried rebooting the server yet? That may clear up the problem. If the problem persists after a reboot... I don't know, maybe a reinstall of the VNC software.
    reinstall of the tight VNC ot the linux installed vnc controller?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Serious Help Needed

When doing remote work on servers, I have found that it is best to stay away from things like vnc and other remote gui desktops, and just use ssh for remote management sessions.

- zipperback