Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: gOS Rocket 2.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: gOS Rocket 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by gregb49 View Post
    It seems to do what it promises, little more and on my old PC, is quick and easy to use. Adding hardware seems difficult though. Anyone know a good ftp client that works with this? Greg
    What's your favourite ftp client under ubuntu? gOS hooks into the ubuntu repositories (can't remember if this is by default, or if you need to enable under synaptic).

So you have access to all the ftp clients (and all the other ubuntu progs), straight off.

pip-pip

Beans

What's your favourite ftp client under ubuntu?
    I use Kubuntu, so failing to find anything that looked like an ftp client, under Synaptic, I installed Konqueror, with which I'm familiar, and it works fine. Greg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

add the following to ur source.list and install the new version.

im going to try it now.

what are your results?

Code:
    deb http://packages.thinkgos.com/gos/ reloaded main

Beans
    Distro

ok
    maybe not such a good idea
    it wants to remove the following :

Code:
       network-manager (0.6.5-0ubuntu16.7.10.0)
       network-manager-gnome (0.6.5-0ubuntu10)
       ubuntu-desktop (1.79)
       usplash (0.5.7)
       usplash-theme-ubuntu (0.17)
    any work around so it doesnt remove network-manager?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post

I thought gOS 1.0 was the worst operating system I've ever used, including Windows 98. but I'll give this a shot anyways.
    I find that kind of funny....

I think gOS is an interesting concept, and I will install it on my wifes computer for her to try it out.
    I have had the ideas of making such a dist for a long time...

Beans

gOS Rocket 2.0

problems burning disc image. I've downloaded the gOS iso onto my windows pc so as to burn the image to a CD. I've tried Nero (burn image to disk) and imgburn. I've checked the md5 Hash and that's correct. However it isn't giving me a BOOTABLE cd. The PC I'm installing it on does have the bios set up to boot from CD.
    Any clues to what I might be doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Windows can be .....try,

http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/?page_id=5

Small download and should do the job.

Good luck !
    Once you're over the hill
    you're gonna pick up speed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    not a fan of E17 but it does have some nice features. I like Gnome and XFCE better for their simplicity.

And I can make Gnome based Ubuntu look more like a Mac with AWN and Compiz

not to mention gOS has some serious flaws like putting the Facebook F next to You (as in youTube)

Also I dont like the idea of using Google products for everything. I dont want my files being stored on google, it make me scared how much data they save about users. I rather create a simple storage server that I can FTP into.
    It would be interesting to see a "how to roll your own Ubuntu gOS" HowTo for those of us that don't have the same expertise as you. gOS seems to be moving to GNOME anyway, so what will gOS be? Ubuntu + GNOME is well, Ubuntu with some eye candy and some icons for Google apps.

This may not be much, but it could in reality be a really good sales initiative for Ubuntu. Provide the repositories with eye candy packages for those of us that have our own computer, but market gOS (or whatever you would want to call it) as an alternative for Internet cafes in the developing world.

In a country like Indonesia, Internet cafes have gone over to Linux, because Microsoft has been pressuring for the local authorities to weed out in all of the pirated/hacked versions of MS products being used illegally. Many Internet cafe customers don't even own a USB pen drive and would be much more oriented towards using Google apps, as they already use Gmail, Facebook, YouTube, etc.
    Last edited by casbahdk; February 15th, 2008 at 11:42 AM.

Beans

Cool Re: gOS Rocket 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by casbahdk View Post
    It would be interesting to see a "how to roll your own Ubuntu gOS" HowTo for those of us that don't have the same expertise as you. gOS seems to be moving to GNOME anyway, so what will gOS be? Ubuntu + GNOME is well, Ubuntu with some eye candy and some icons for Google apps.

This may not be much, but it could in reality be a really good sales initiative for Ubuntu. Provide the repositories with eye candy packages for those of us that have our own computer, but market gOS (or whatever you would want to call it) as an alternative for Internet cafes in the developing world.

In a country like Indonesia, Internet cafes have gone over to Linux, because Microsoft has been pressuring for the local authorities to weed out in all of the pirated/hacked versions of MS products being used illegally. Many Internet cafe customers don't even own a USB pen drive and would be much more oriented towards using Google apps, as they already use Gmail, Facebook, YouTube, etc.
    it sounds to me that gOS will simply be a themed Ubuntu.

Beans

I made a gOS Rocket cd and ran it live, I think it's nice. The fonts didn't display as nicely as my Ubuntu 7.1 however. I'll fool around with it again.The behavior of the dock was cool. I would definitely buy a gOS laptop new for $400 when they are available.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast