Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what's slackware like for the minimalist?

Beans

what's slackware like for the minimalist?

i guess i'm an odd combination of an end user and someone who doesn't like any unnecessary crap on his computer. i'm enjoying using arch, but i like to mix things up occassionally. how does slackware compare to arch in the areas of ease of installment, package managment and day to day use?

edit: *crickets*
    Last edited by chucky chuckaluck; November 3rd, 2008 at 08:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: what's slackware like for the minimalist?

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    i guess i'm an odd combination of an end user and someone who doesn't like any unnecessary crap on his computer. i'm enjoying using arch, but i like to mix things up occassionally. how does slackware compare to arch in the areas of ease of installment, package managment and day to day use?

edit: *crickets*

Read the Slackbook. If that doesn't help answer your questions then move along.

Beans

Go with a minimal install and just build from there, like Arch once you get it set up it's very easy to take care of, if you need to install software you can use the package manager to install vanilla packages from the slackware repo although they are quite limited and any further software needs can be usually handled through slackbuild.com which is very similiar to the Arch Aur repository. Often the biggest drawback seen with the slackware package manager is that there's no dependency handling (which can be a good thing for those who don't like dependency hell) otherwise you can also install other tools such as slackpkg and slapt-get that you can install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Often the biggest drawback seen with the slackware package manager is that there's no dependency handling (which can be a good thing for those who don't like dependency hell) otherwise you can also install other tools such as slackpkg and slapt-get that you can install.
    i don't know if 'depedency hell' is not having them supplied, or having them supplied. as with reading the slackbook, i guess it's hard to get a frame of reference about it all. i didn't really have an idea about using linux until i actually used it, and switching to arch until i actually did switch, so i guess if i want to find out about slackware, i have to just actually install it.

Beans

i don't know if 'depedency hell' is not having them supplied, or having them supplied. as with reading the slackbook, i guess it's hard to get a frame of reference about it all. i didn't really have an idea about using linux until i actually used it, and switching to arch until i actually did switch, so i guess if i want to find out about slackware, i have to just actually install it.
    Dependency hell is when the package manager or the user screws up an installation or uninstallation of a program and all of the sudden you get all kinds of broken packages, missing depencies etc etc. I've gotten it once in Ubuntu and it was my fault and I wouldn't say is as applicable so much today as a reason to switch to slackware.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I like Arch. But I like Slack more. Give it a try, it is the best way to do it. For what I call an "assisted" setup with Slack, I suggest Absolute. While not as barebones as Slack, it is far from bloated, and is the best current Slackware derivative, IMO.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans

If you're in the mood for a thrill, a fast (but rather dodgy) way of installing Slack is available. Download SLAX and install it:
    Quote Originally Posted by markds on the slax forums
    http://backtrack.serveftp.com/backtr...6-install.kmdr

Its a kmdr script, so download it to where you want, say /usr/share/slax/, then run it using the following :

/usr/bin/kmdr-executor /usr/share/slax/slax6-install.kmdr
    Ignore the portion on the "live" version install, use the "real" version install.
    Then install slapt-get (although slackpkg seems better, I haven't tried it with this, so do it at your own risk), sync with the Slackware repos, and upgrade. There will be some packages to reinstall using slapt-get (or maybe slackpkg), make sure you get everything on SLAX reinstalled.

This is a rather nasty way of installing Slackware, and you should definitely do things normally to get a real taste, but I like this method because it's fast and doesn't require too much downloading.

EDIT: A quick warning (I'm really enthusiastic about this, aren't I?): this isn't conventional, and you're on your own if you try it. I make no guarantees, and most Slack experts will just flame you for being dumb enough to try this.
    Last edited by cardinals_fan; November 4th, 2008 at 05:24 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    If you're in the mood for a thrill, a fast (but rather dodgy) way of installing Slack is available. Download SLAX and install it:Then install slapt-get (although slackpkg seems better, I haven't tried it with this, so do it at your own risk), sync with the Slackware repos, and upgrade. There will be some packages to reinstall using slapt-get (or maybe slackpkg), make sure you get everything on SLAX reinstalled.

This is a rather nasty way of installing Slackware, and you should definitely do things normally to get a real taste, but I like this method because it's fast and doesn't require too much downloading.

EDIT: A quick warning (I'm really enthusiastic about this, aren't I?): this isn't conventional, and you're on your own if you try it. I make no guarantees, and most Slack experts will just flame you for being dumb enough to try this.
    uh-oh, i'm just retarded enough to do it, too. i love slax. running it in ram is wicked fast and was what got me curious about slackware (i also love the name). tempting as that is, i'm more likely to go for the most minimal installation from the start. (actually, i should probably just stick to arch. i do love it. i just get bored occassionally.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

(actually, i should probably just stick to arch. i do love it. i just get bored occassionally.)
    I find both Slack and Arch to be far from boring.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    Go with a minimal install and just build from there, like Arch once you get it set up it's very easy to take care of, if you need to install software you can use the package manager to install vanilla packages from the slackware repo although they are quite limited and any further software needs can be usually handled through slackbuild.com which is very similiar to the Arch Aur repository. Often the biggest drawback seen with the slackware package manager is that there's no dependency handling (which can be a good thing for those who don't like dependency hell) otherwise you can also install other tools such as slackpkg and slapt-get that you can install.
    The dependency thing is what bothers me. Does that mean before I install anything the onus is on me to see if it has any dependencies? Granted, I don't install tons of software on a daily basis, but sometimes things have a boatload of dependencies and the idea of rooting for each one and installing them individually, only to find out I forgot one, just doesn't sound fun.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast