Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Mac Mini worth it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Is a Mac Mini worth it?

Hello people. I just saw an offer on one of these internet shopping sites about a Mac Mini, but I don't know a thing about Apple computers, so I don't know if it's worth it. These are the specs:

Core 2 Duo, 1.83 Ghz. RAM: 1 Gb, (SDRAM, DDR2, 667 Ghz). HD: 80 Gb (serial ATA). DVD-ROM/CD-RW. AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth and remote control. Price: around 1325 US $.

(Doesn't come with monitor, keyboard and mouse, so I'd have to pay extra money for them).

In case I buy it, it would be basically for doing the normal stuff: Installing Linux -aside OSX-, surfing on internet, listening music, chatting with my friends, etc... pretty much the same things I do on my PC, except gaming. The main reason I'd like to buy it is because I want to have fun discovering and using a Mac and OSX (which I've never used), and because it seems to me the price is not that high, considering it's a Mac machine. I'm fighting with myself because I think I don't really need it (I'm not a musician or a graphic designer), so it would be like a whim.

So,what do you people think? Is it worth buying it considering is not so expensive, or I rather save my money for something else? (I'm prone to choose the latter, but I'd still like to hear your opinions, etc)

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Is a Mac Mini worth it?

I personally think you would be better off getting a laptop. They are getting very cheap now, and generally have higher spec and are portable.
    If it Ain't broke, break it and then fix it.

Beans

What? $1325 and you still don't get the necessary peripherals? Screw that.

Might as well get a Macbook Pro, OR... if you really want to try out OS X, there's another way that doesn't involve buying a Mac first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSx86

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

hell no

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by odiseo77 View Post

Core 2 Duo, 1.83 Ghz. RAM: 1 Gb, (SDRAM, DDR2, 667 Ghz). HD: 80 Gb (serial ATA). DVD-ROM/CD-RW. AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth and remote control. Price: around 1325 US $.
    Same spec on apple's website is $600.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The original point of a Mac Mini was to introduce a Mac to people for an affordable price, allowing them to continue to use their normal periphials. Problem is the price has continued to creep, thus making it a useless gesture on the part of Apple. When the Mac Mini first came out the price was around $500, for starters, making it a reasonable investment for the purpose of experimenting. Now the prices just don't seem to justify. For that price I'd just buy a Shuttle, if you want something small, or just bite the bullet and buy a full blown Mac.

[EDIT]

Quote Originally Posted by x0as View Post
    Same spec on apple's website is $600.
    That makes far more sense. For that price it makes it worth buying one to play with. Throw in a KVM switch to allow you to switch back and forth at ease.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

For $600, I think it's worth it. I'd get one if I felt I had any need for one -- probably light video editing or something like that.
    Focus is Cash in the Economics of Attention
    No one should apologize for, nor act threatened as a result of their preferences.- PapaRaven

Beans

Yes $600 is the price

I've had one and they are absolutely wonderful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

go the $600 one, and even if you hated os10, you could install ubuntu on it, an those specs arn't bad for $600
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi folks, thanks a lot for your answers! Well, about the price, here where I live, Apple computers are very expensive, so I thought this was cheap (the guy who's selling it must be buying it in 600 $ and re-selling it here at more than the double of its original price). I just saw the images and find it so nice that I got suddenly in love . Now that you mention the price, I'm considering ordering abroad, so I can pay a fair price for it (in case I buy it)... But thinking it twice, I rather save some money for a travel I'm planning for this year, since I don't really need another computer.

Just in case I can buy it abroad, is a Mac Mini worth it for a cheap price? (I read an article in Spanish saying they're pretty much obsolete)

Thanks a lot again for your answers, people

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast