Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MS Paint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: MS Paint

Get filemon from sysinternals. Use that to scope out what DLLs its using on a Win PC..copy those dlls over. You can also use a disassembler I suppose.

Btw...the MFC in that error you're getting stands for Microsoft Foundation Class. So grabbing the C++ runtimes off the MS page will prob solve your problem.

Beans

Cool topic. I like MS Paint for Vista even more than XPs because of the zoom out / cut paste feature and hot keys. It seems silly, but it's a handy, fast loading program that I use a lot.

However, I can't get the Vista MSPAINT to run on Ubuntu 9x. I did get the package listed earlier, which is great. Ubuntu runs the XP Paint fine.

Can anyone help me find out how to get Vista Paint to run? It tells me:

"Failed to create empty document"

I have the following support files in its directory:

MSVCRT.DLL
    OLEPRO32.DLL
    mspaint.exe
    MFC42U.DLL
    MFC42.DLL
    mspaint.exe.mui

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by DAHstra View Post
    Cool topic. I like MS Paint for Vista even more than XPs because of the zoom out / cut paste feature and hot keys. It seems silly, but it's a handy, fast loading program that I use a lot.

However, I can't get the Vista MSPAINT to run on Ubuntu 9x. I did get the package listed earlier, which is great. Ubuntu runs the XP Paint fine.

Can anyone help me find out how to get Vista Paint to run? It tells me:

"Failed to create empty document"

I have the following support files in its directory:

MSVCRT.DLL
    OLEPRO32.DLL
    mspaint.exe
    MFC42U.DLL
    MFC42.DLL
    mspaint.exe.mui

Quite off-topic I know and the mods will hate me for this-
    But I disagree with your signature
    Logic is universal, not personal. Logic is the benchmark by which absolute and relative are gaged.
    Brown doesn't suck. And neither does wood. Download Woody. A Metacity theme.
    Note: the rm command deletes stuff! Don't be tricked into running malicious scripts. If in doubt, ask!!

Beans

LOL I came up with that years ago when I was frustrated with drunks. If you're trying to reason with a drunk, you can't. They have their own distorted view of reality.

But I also disagree because who's to say your logic is absolute? Are you SURE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I know you said it MUST be MS Paint, but seriously, you can't get much closer to it than KolourPaint.

Edit: Never mind, didn't see it had been mentioned already.

Beans

Thanks, I'll try KolourPaint too. I had to research how to get it so that my OS would not yell at me "USE CHANNEL!" LOL

Anyway, I installed KolourPaint. It's not bad. It seems to have the features I was looking for. However, I'd still like to know how to get MSPaint Vista running. But I'll give KolourPaint a go too.

Beans

Okay, so, I'm also running Windows 7 Release Candidate. The new paint it has is snazzy, but lacks simple features Vista and NT Paint had. So, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I have to ask. Will there be a Windows version of Kolour Paint? (no egg throwing please)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

A lot of KDE4 is being ported to Windows, so quite possibly, but not just yet as far as I know.

Beans
    Hidden!

Code:
    Install Paint 5.0
    -----------------
    sudo apt-get install wine icoutils unzip -y
    wget http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntwks40/paint/1/nt4/en-us/paintnt.exe
    unzip paintnt.exe -d ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
    rm paintnt.exe
    wrestool -x -t14 -n2 ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/MSPAINT.EXE > ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/mspaint.ico
    echo -e '[Desktop Entry]\nType=Application\nName=Paint\nExec=wine "C:\\\\windows\\\\system32\\\\MSPAINT.EXE"\nComment=Creates and edits drawings\nIcon='$HOME'/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/mspaint.ico\nCategories=Utility' > ~/.local/share/applications/mspaint.desktop

Beans

Followed HavocXphere's instructions for using filemon from sysinternals to scope out what DLL's
    needed to be added in C:/Windows/System32 to allow MSPaint to run.

Instructions for getting Windows XP - MS Paint on Linux
    MS Paint on Ubuntu
    MSPaint Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp Service Pack 3)

1. Copy the following files from a Windows XP (SP3) Install to a USB Flash Drive.
    The files you need to copy are located at C:\Windows\System32\ (Files needed are...)
    mfc42.dll
    mfc42u.dll
    msisip.dll
    msvcrt.dll
    mspaint.exe
    olepro32.dll
    wshext.dll

2. SEARCH your Hard Drive for GdiPlus.dll. (Mine was Version 6.0.3264.00 from Allen Bradley = Rockwell)
    but I also found several, and 5.1.3102.5512 was one of the choices if you can't locate 6.0.3264.0
    Copy this file to the USB Flash Drive. (Adds TIF, GIF, JPG, PNG Format Support)

3. Copy the following Folders from a Windows XP (SP3) Install to a USB Flash Drive
    C:\Windows\AppPatch
    C:\Windows\Fonts

4. Create a Folder named MSPaint at .wine/drive_c/Program Files/
    (Substitute a ? for the SPACE in Program?Files for copying.)
    drwxr-xr-x 2 larry larry 4096 Jun 18 12:42 MSPaint

5. Copy mspaint.exe to .wine/drive_c/windows/Program Files/MSPaint
    Change the permissions of MSPaint to -rwxr--r-- 1 larry larry 343040 Apr 13 2008 mspaint.exe

6. Copy the remaining seven files to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/
    Copy the Folder AppPatch to .wine/drive_c/windows/
    Copy the Folder Fonts to .wine/drive_c/windows/

6. CREATE AN UBUNTU DESKTOP ICON:
    Right Click on the Desktop, Left Click on Create Launcher.

Name XP-MSPaint
    Description
    Command wine "/home/youruserlogin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/MSPaint/mspaint.exe"
    Comment Microsoft XP Paint Ver 5.1

Change ICON as needed from PNG files below, or use the Wine Icon - Wine.svg.
    I used Icon Entry7.png. I copied this png to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
    with permissions of:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 674 Jun 18 12:56 Icon Entry_1.png
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2015 Jun 18 12:56 Icon Entry_4.png
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3766 Jun 18 12:56 Icon Entry_7.png

7. Double click on XP-MSPaint to test Paint ver 5.1
    Be sure to Click on TEXT in the Left Menu, then draw a Box for the TEXT INPUT,
    then go to the top menu and select VIEW TEXT BOX to allow for changing the
    Font selection and size.

8. When a printer has been installed......To change Print from Portrait to Landscape,
    go to Printer settings and change it there versus the opening Print Setup screen selection.

Things that do not work properly are:
    1. Printing - When opening a LARGE BMP File, and trying to Preview, or print to paper.

Tested with Wine 1.01 and Ubuntu 9.10 03-03-2010
    Tested with Wine 1.1.42 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 05-19-2010

Tested with Debian 6.0 & Wine-1.1.42

lk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by lkraemer; June 18th, 2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added Fonts Info, GdiPlus for TIF GIF JPG PNG's & ICONS - Updated

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast