Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 82

Thread: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    611
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    this tutorial is not needed for hardy, only gutsy

    Apple have recently released a new look for their ipods, but with the new interface comes more firmware encryption to stop 3rd party media players (including Amarok, Rhythmbox and gtkpod) syncing music to the ipods.

    Since there is no itunes for linux it was up to the guys at http://ipodminusitunes.blogspot.com to crack it.

    This should work for any new nanos and ipod classics. Please be aware that this is rather experimental so please make sure that you have all of the music on you ipod backed up before attempting it. The programs instanlled by this tutorial are from the hardy repository so don't be supprised if they break stuff.

    If this causes all music to disappear off your ipod you don't need to access a windows machine to fix it, when you get it working you can sync new music on and it will appear.

    This will only work with applications which use libgpod (rhythmbox, amarok and gtkpod). Finally as of rhythmbox version 0.11.5 podcasts are sorted as podcasts although only amarok and gtkpod seem to be able to transfer album art.

    here's how to get it working (type this into terminal one line at a time, use the same terminal session for all):

    Code:
    sudo -i
    cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.tmp
    echo deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hardy main restricted universe multiverse >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    aptitude install libgpod3 libgpod-common
    if you use rhythmbox:
    Code:
    aptitude install rhythmbox
    if you use amarok:
    Code:
    aptitude install amarok
    if you use gtkpod:
    Code:
    aptitude install gtkpod
    then:
    Code:
    aptitude remove libgpod2
    this may prompt you to remove the ubuntu-desktop package, don't worry - it's only a meta-package

    then check if it works. if it does run
    Code:
    rm /etc/apt/sources.list
    mv /etc/apt/sources.list.tmp /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    Banshee not supported (it uses it's own library rather than libgpod)

    thanks to http://lilserenity.wordpress.com/200...-ipod-nano-3g/ for the tutorial i origanally based this on
    Last edited by twright; June 14th, 2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: slight improvements

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, Kentucky
    Beans
    227
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    This worked perfectly. I'm using Linux Mint 4 and Amarok. Thanks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Triangle, West Yorks, UK
    Beans
    978

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    I don't seem to be able to get Album Art working at all with gtkpod; has anyone had any luck with this? Its not so much that the iPod doesn't recognise album art, its gtkpod itself that flatly refuses to set any artwork.
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    --Confucius

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Beans
    514
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    Quote Originally Posted by reclusivemonkey View Post
    I don't seem to be able to get Album Art working at all with gtkpod; has anyone had any luck with this? Its not so much that the iPod doesn't recognise album art, its gtkpod itself that flatly refuses to set any artwork.
    What exactly is the error you get? I've had album art working since I got my iPod Classic back in November.
    Never try and teach a pig to sing -- it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. - Robert Heinlein
    Ubuntu User #19128

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Triangle, West Yorks, UK
    Beans
    978

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukarn View Post
    What exactly is the error you get? I've had album art working since I got my iPod Classic back in November.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=87

    I hear plenty of people have got it working but its eluding me =[

    I followed the instructions at the beginning of that post to get it working, and the songs transfer great and I can see my ratings/plays etc. but the Album Art flat out refuses to work from gtkpod. I think I am going to upgrade to Hardy Heron soon and see if that works for me.
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    --Confucius

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Beans
    514
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT GOOD AT FIXING A BROKEN SYSTEM.

    OK, This may sound like a daunting or stupid idea to you, and many people here would suggest against it, but i would tell you to manually download and install (using dpkg) the following packages as well as each dependency error you get, from debian unstable (sid).

    libgpod3
    libgpod-common

    I am assuming that you followed a compiling guide and installed the libgpod package from source code and named it libgpod2.

    That is how I have my iPod Classic running happily. The above packages for base functionality with gtkpod and other programs, + python-gpod and the required dependencies from debian unstable for gPodder (audio podcast program).

    If you encounter any error you cannot solve, then ask away.
    Last edited by Sukarn; January 7th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.
    Never try and teach a pig to sing -- it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. - Robert Heinlein
    Ubuntu User #19128

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Triangle, West Yorks, UK
    Beans
    978

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukarn View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT GOOD AT FIXING A BROKEN SYSTEM.

    OK, This may sound like a daunting or stupid idea to you, and many people here would suggest against it, but i would tell you to manually download and install (using dpkg) the following packages as well as each dependency error you get, from debian unstable (sid).

    libgpod3
    libgpod-common

    I am assuming that you followed a compiling guide and installed the libgpod package from source code and named it libgpod2.

    That is how I have my iPod Classic running happily. The above packages for base functionality with gtkpod and other programs, + python-gpod and the required dependencies from debian unstable for gPodder (audio podcast program).

    If you encounter any error you cannot solve, then ask away.
    Sounds like a plan to me =] Cheers, I will try that when I get home. My Gutsy has already had plenty thrown at it, a bit more won't hurt!
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    --Confucius

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Beans
    514
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    Quote Originally Posted by reclusivemonkey View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me =] Cheers, I will try that when I get home. My Gutsy has already had plenty thrown at it, a bit more won't hurt!
    I'm waiting for a report on your progress.
    Never try and teach a pig to sing -- it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. - Robert Heinlein
    Ubuntu User #19128

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Triangle, West Yorks, UK
    Beans
    978

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    I installed Hardy Heron on my laptop and had some degree of success with gtkpod; I could add album artwork although I didn't save it to my iPod as I didn't want to mess things up just yet. I think I will hold on until Hardy Heron comes out and then try managing my iPod on that although gPixpod seems to throw a wobbly when it looks at the Photo Database.
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    --Confucius

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Beans
    514
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: howto: get your new ipod classic 6g/nano 3g working

    Quote Originally Posted by reclusivemonkey View Post
    I installed Hardy Heron on my laptop and had some degree of success with gtkpod; I could add album artwork although I didn't save it to my iPod as I didn't want to mess things up just yet. I think I will hold on until Hardy Heron comes out and then try managing my iPod on that although gPixpod seems to throw a wobbly when it looks at the Photo Database.
    I would not suggest using GPixPod or gtkpod with your photos just yet. Neither of them seems to work well right now (latest version) with iPod Classic.
    After using GPixPod, the iPod doesn't display thumbnails in albums but displays the photos in the right panel and in full screen.
    With gtkpod its the other way round. It doesn't display the photos in full screen or in the right panel, but only displays thumbnails.

    Right now I visit a friend's place to sync my photos. I have it set up such that I made a Data directory on my iPod and a Photos directory inside the data directory. I put all my photo albums inside this Photos directory and then I have it set up on my friend's comp so that it automatically synchronizes my iPod with the Data\Photos directory present on the very same iPod.
    Works like a charm.
    Never try and teach a pig to sing -- it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig. - Robert Heinlein
    Ubuntu User #19128

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •