Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what does linux in the workplace look like?

Beans
    Hidden!

what does linux in the workplace look like?

i don't think i've ever used a computer in the workplace. i have no idea what the environments are like. so, if a company uses linux, what does the average receptionist's desktop look like, for example?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: what does linux in the workplace look like?

spread sheets word processors and time charts

same as windows, but prettier cause of the addition of compiz

personally i installed all the computers at my uncles auto shop and i put linux on them and the secretary always has those open and the other computers are all internet parts data bases, so its not much differnt from windows in my case

Beans
    Hidden!

I helped an advertising agency I worked for get rid of Windows altogether. Being an advertising agency, they obviously and mostly have Macs around, but all their PC's (2 LOL) now have Linux installed.

They're both using a normal GNOME desktop (they preferred it over KDE or anything else I threw at them). One's running Arch and the other's running Ubuntu, but they're pretty much simple desktops. The Ubuntu desktop has Virtualbox installed due to legacy accounting software, which they're trying to get rid of as soon as possible.

Oh, and no Compiz. They're meant for work, not for wobbling and burning windows

Company wallpaper, custom fonts, customized looks but on very basic level. Didn't take much time for them to grow into that, as I removed all possible obstacles (flash, display configs, the works).

One thing that I didn't expect, they both use and love using workplaces... It's one of the killer features for them. And the fact that they don't have to run AV's, and anti-spywares, and that their computers are now fully functional, too.

They also run Evolution (preferred over Thunderbird), Osmo (for Contacts + Dates + Tasks), Firefox and Opera, Gnumeric over Calc, AbiWord whenever possible and OOo apps for the rest.

Other than that, I set up a webcalendar with which they sync from time to time or insert new events locally, so their browsers are always open.
    Last edited by Onyros; January 4th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.
    N800 in my pocket, Acer 1410 in my backpack, Thinkpad X31 on a shrine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It looks exactly like the one you are using to post this question. I would say the difference is the applications installed and/or intentionally left out.

The desktop look and feel is pretty much always left to the user. You place or remove what is desired on your desktop...same as you do at home.

You prepare email, documents, and everything else on the computer; as if you were at home again.

The biggest difference would be that office systems have techs working on the best possible solutions for security and usability...also, the techs or corporation controls the environment or ways in which the computer will be used or not used; whereas the home user controls their own computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by chocbar31 View Post
    It looks exactly like the one you are using to post this question.
    You have obviously never seen any of fuscia's desktop screenshots.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

like Linux.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hehehehe...

remember that commercial? Honey, I finished the Internet! I have ran across one or two when I was looking for elegance.

I have also assisted one or two to get pretty. A year ago I would not have used pretty, however, the technology is getting better and better and apps crash so much less. Again, if the look and feel does not crash apps and comfort allows you to get more work done go for it.

Again, again, again, to organization develops a culture over time. If it is not allowed, then save it for your own boxes. Usually, everyone who sees my desktop gets affixed and then they want it.

Who knows, if she was a marketer, she can change how the desktop looks. I know our marketers have changed how our desktops look all the way through to the screensaver. I am helpdesk for goodness sake how did we loose ground on the computer?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    i was wondering how they could look at that for eight hours straight.

Beans

Mine looks very much like my desktop at home, except i have icons in AWN that i use more often at work like Angry IP Scanner, Terminal Server Client. And i have more network shares mounted on my desktop than i do at home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    I haven't but it would be nice to see.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast